Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152033 - 04/26/05 03:54 PM Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
Loc: Iowa
Does anyone know which fuse I can hardwire my radar detector to so that it will turn on and off with the car. It seems like all of the fuses I have tried in the passenger side fuse box are always on. Thanks!!
#152034 - 04/26/05 04:53 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
yeah, what I did was splice into my head unit. There are two wires on the back of the head unit, one is constant power, and one is ignition. The ignition wire is the one you want to use, you can find it by using a power indicator and poking the wires while the ignition is off and on. This seemd like the best solution for me, especially if you have an aftermarket CD player. Hope that helps

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#152035 - 04/26/05 08:08 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
Is there a way to do it without that splicing? I had a 2002 Monte Carlo and was able to use the accessory fuse with the wire for the radar detector so that it was on when the car was on and off when car was off. Is there a way to do it with a fuse in the passenger side fuse box that fits the criteria of being only live when car is on. Thanks!!
#152036 - 04/27/05 10:10 AM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
dunno, how would you get power though, are you planning on still using the lighter plug, but just want a lighter socket that will shut off power when the ignition is off, if so, I dont believe there are any lighter sockets that are wired like this, they all give power all the time

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#152037 - 04/28/05 08:57 AM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
The way I had it on my Monte Carlo was that it was being powered by having the wire wrapped around a fuse. I had it wrapped around the accessory fuse in the Monte Carlo and would only be on when the car is on. It will being drawing its power from there, so it does not need to use and cigarette adapters.
#152038 - 04/29/05 04:22 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
To install a blocker i just spaded the seat and power window Circuit Breaker. Not the best idea but works. Just remeber its not always the best way, but make sure you connect to the right( as in right/wrong) side of the fuse. Unless you want a cute lil smoke screen when something malfunctions.

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#152039 - 05/05/05 10:08 AM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
What do you mean by the right side of the fuse? I wrapped the wire around one of the prongs on the fuse and plugged it in, All of the fuses I have tried to connect it to seem to be always on. Are any of them on only when the car is? On my monte carlo, I attached it to the crusie control fuse or accessory fuse and it worked great. Now on my 04 GP, I cant figure out which fuse.
#152040 - 05/05/05 11:16 AM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
GtCombination Offline
Just figure out which vehicle operations only work with the car on. As for the right side. You branch your wiring on the wrong side of the fuse spade, and the fuse wont be there to protect you circuit. Hence, if overloaded, blah blah blah etc. You will be smelling some nice burning plastic, and possibly even start a fire. Just be carefull. Most car systems have an accessorie fuse location thats empty and made to be used. IF you keep having problems I suggest just wiring into a Always Live spade, And just throwing a simple toggle on the line. I like buttons. Another toggle never hurt. And your Radar detector even if left of for a couple of days is def. not going to drain your batt.

#152041 - 05/05/05 05:10 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fuse box for the 2004 to see which ones can be accessory? Also, what spade of the fuse should I be hooking the wire to (the side closest to the front of the car or to the rear of the car)?
#152042 - 05/05/05 07:07 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
GtCombination Offline
Well Almost every car is diferent. But take your multi-meter/circuit tester remove the fuse and measure. Of course the side you want to use is not going to read anything. -( If its not a constant on switch make sure the car is on when testing)-

#152043 - 05/10/05 02:39 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
Crazyhawki Offline
I do not have a circuit tester, this is why I wondering if anyone knew of any fuses being only on when the car is on a 2004. For the fuse slots that are not populated, do any of these turn on only when the car is on - if so, what kind of fuse should I use to attach the wire to?
#152044 - 11/06/06 07:37 PM Re: Radar Detector Hardwire
STRANGEGTP Offline
Loc: Florence, South Carolina
I know this is an old post but I was wondering the same thing. I just hardwired mine to the fuse for the sunroof. Works just fine.