Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150452 - 10/20/06 09:07 AM car dying question 2004 GT
Trey Offline
Loc: Quincy, IL.
I just got a 2004 GP GT for my wife, it has 67000 miles on it and we are the 2nd owners. Not all the time but sometimes when she starts the car, it will run for about 1 to 2 seconds and then die. this does not happen all the time, and is not just when the car has been sitting for a long time. I have read on some of the others posts that people have a problem with the fuel pump resistor. is this probably the case with her car. how can you test the resistor to see if it is faulty and is it covered under a recall or anything. i read an article about a temport fix with the fuses, but if this is the problem i would rather fix it completely. The car never dies while she is driving only once in a great while when she first starts the car.

thanks for your help

Trey
Quincy, IL.
#150453 - 10/27/06 05:48 PM Re: car dying question 2004 GT
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
you might check your security settings. The car could think that the key she is using, is not the correct, or programmed key for the car, and shuting it off.

If you have one, try the other key for a few days, and see if it still acts up.
#150454 - 10/29/06 12:34 PM Re: car dying question 2004 GT
ILikeMyGP Offline
Loc: Michigan
it wouldn't be that if the car will startup just fine most of the time.

i'm having a similar issue too. it only happens about 1/100 or something like that. its not from sitting too long cause i drive every day.

a few suggestions i've recieved have been replace fuel filter and run some fuel injector cleaner in with the gas. once i get teh chance i will be doing both to see if that helps. the fuel filter will NOT be covered by a recall or warranty, because it is an expiring item like an air filter (expected to die).
#150455 - 11/08/06 12:41 PM Re: car dying question 2004 GT
ILikeMyGP Offline
well i have an interesting development.

i haven't had the time to do what i had said at first, but somehting odd happened to me that makes me think that Kansas GTP may be correct

i started it up and it clunked out, but then i noticed something on the information center. i put it back to off and then started the car back up, without any problem. this time i looked a little closer at the information center and it said something to the effect of a problem with the theft security system having a problem and shutting down. then it said to have the theft system serviced soon.

its only been a day so i don't know if that was the cause, fortunately i still have a warranty so its going in to the dealership this weekend
#150456 - 11/24/06 07:36 PM Re: car dying question 2004 GT
ILikeMyGP Offline
well finally got the car in and they replaced the BCM (body control module). so apparently that is the reason of the problems. the cost would have been about $300, but thank goodness for warranties
#150457 - 11/26/06 11:18 PM Re: car dying question 2004 GT
MULDIVEN Offline
Loc: Murfreesboro,TN
good deal...