Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165542 - 03/08/07 11:47 PM Trans fluid for my moms car.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I checked my moms car trans fluid and its low, but its not dangerously low, but tommorow when I find my funnel to pour the fluid in.

But I took the car to a shop were I lived just to see what type of fluid to get which he told me dexron 3/mercon. But I went to the store and bought the same name but did not know what brand to buy so I got the expensive one which was valvoline max life for high mileage trannies and which my mom's taurus has 129,000 miles on it.

My mom car is a 2000 ford taurus with the 24 valve duratec engine. How much fluid should I put in the trans, the guy told me a half of bottle.

So before I do it did I buy the right brand and do I only use a half of bottle of fluid.
#165543 - 03/09/07 06:36 AM Re: Trans fluid for my moms car.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Add a little then shift the car in and out of gear a few times, check again and repeat till full.
#165544 - 03/10/07 01:13 AM Re: Trans fluid for my moms car.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
okay herc, but one more question will it harm the trans if I add new fluid in with the old and the kind im using is valvoline max life for high mileage cars.
#165545 - 03/10/07 04:42 PM Re: Trans fluid for my moms car.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As long as you stick to the recomended type dexron what ever then it'll be fine. Don't worry about brand names.