Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199009 - 07/17/05 12:37 PM I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Ok here's the story.

Went to go fishing this morning. Started the truck up released the parking brake and the light stayed on. Ok no big deal need fluid right. So I open up the master cylinder and what do you know it's dry. Hmmm whered all that fluid go? Now I start looking and there is a small wet spot just forward of the rear tire. I start looking around and see that the rear most solid brake line before the axle is corroded big time. Everything is wet and I notice the fittings are wet too so I wipe everything down so I can tell if the fitting is loose or if I have other problems. Well no that I've wiped it all down (knocking some flakes of rust off at the same time) I have lady herc start the truck up and apply the brakes. Now I've got friggin old faithful living under my truck. Great now I need a new line not just tigten the fitting like I was hoping.

Now here's the part that really chaps my hide. From this fitting forward the lines are all stainless and this one is garbage. That's one.
Two is where they put the friggin fitting is inside the frame rail tucked up behind the fuel cell. How the heck is one supposed to put a wrench on that? So I have to drop the fuel tank (mind you lady just filled it the day before so now it has 23 gallons in it) I have no where to store 23 gallons of fuel so I opt to remove the rear clamp let the tank sag a little. Still not enough room so now I had to remove all the mounting bolts on the bed and put 2x4s between the bed and the frame to get enough clearance to remove the cheap garbage of a brake line. Ugghhhh I'm so irked right now. Lady is out right now trying to find me a new one hope she finds one if not it's off to the tool store for a tubing bender and flare kit. Then to the parts store for some stainless tubing.
#199010 - 07/17/05 04:44 PM Re: I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Well the truck is fixed. Napa has brake lines with fittings and flares already made in varing lengths all you have to do is bend them accordingly. The replacement brake fluid was more expensive then the line. Go figuere.
#199011 - 07/17/05 04:56 PM Re: I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
glad it was so easy to do all that Herc wink

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#199012 - 07/17/05 11:28 PM Re: I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Just be thankful the lines broke then and not while driving.

I blew out my front brake lines in my old car while going 65 and it was the scariest thing I've ever done.
#199013 - 07/18/05 08:23 AM Re: I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Glad everything worked out for you Herc, and be glad it didn't get any worse while you were out driving it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#199014 - 07/18/05 01:01 PM Re: I could just shoot GM engineers right now!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I never noticed the puddle of fluid because where we park the truck is quite a bit of sand from last winter and it just soaked it right up. I have to say when you fire up the engine to use the power brakes there is quite a bit of fluid pressure on those lines.