Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189509 - 05/25/07 09:07 PM I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
I have to routinely pick up customers and give them rides at the detail shop that I work at. After a long day it isn't always easy to remember exactly how to get back after 7hrs of work.

Plus I have been atleast 10minutes late for my tee times the last few times I went.

Long story - well long, I need navigation, If i go somewhere at night I can't always find my way there in the day, or if I am tired, or if somebody else is driving.

But I can't find any nav units for under $400.00

Obviously it is for the car, what have you guys seen and what kind of setup should I run?

What will I need,
where is a few goods spots to mount it?

Thanks
Ryan

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#189510 - 05/25/07 09:11 PM Re: I Need Navigation
Richard Candelario Offline
lol, as part of my job, when we need to navigate from one point to another, we grab a map, compass, and protractor and get to work. Maybe a good atlas? I think those cost about 20 USD. OH!, you want an electronic, GPS-enhanced navigation system. Dunno. let your keyboard do the walking, I'm sure the internet will net you some good deals. Good luck, man.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#189511 - 05/25/07 09:29 PM Re: I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
lol, funny guy eh? Time is money, when you have a boss that is money hungry and you are trying to remember where some high roller packer player lives in suburbia heck in rush hour traffic when all you want to to is go home.

So, I don't have time to pull over and whip out the map, and if i tried not to pull over, I would be posting pics of my recked car for all to gawk at.

So, I need something that I can punch an adress in and it will tell me where to go, so I can get there and back quickly.

I have checked ebay, not much and the little there is are $400.00

So, does anybody have any recomendations or should I just ask somebody to delete this post?

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#189512 - 05/25/07 09:33 PM Re: I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
Trust me, if i didn't think that I absolutly needed it I would gladly spend the money on something else. Plus the community that I live in is growing so fast that I would have to by a new map every six months. And I don't think that they update them that ofen.

Thanks for the suggestion though, but i already got a map.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#189513 - 05/25/07 09:35 PM Re: I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
Does anybody know if a nav unit out of a stock car would work?

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#189514 - 05/26/07 12:39 AM Re: I Need Navigation
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Have you looked at the TomTom?

I don't know anything about them, but it might be something to consider checking out.

TomTom Here's the link to Tiger Direct.
Don
#189515 - 05/26/07 01:27 AM Re: I Need Navigation
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
I (my wife) just bought one from QVC. It was under $320. A nice feature is the 5 inch screen compared to the the Tom Tom's 3.5 inch screen. Here is the link to QVC's website -> http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

I just received it today, so I can't give a good review of it. I will test it out on the road tomorrow.
#189516 - 05/26/07 11:57 AM Re: I Need Navigation
You might wanna try places LIKE newegg.com and pricewatch.com. Those two sites are primarily for PCs so I wouldnt waste my time, but look for specialty shops. Overstock.com amazon.com might both be worth the look. good luck, man, and yeah, I was just tryin to be funny. tryin.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#189517 - 05/26/07 02:15 PM Re: I Need Navigation
20gtp02 Offline
I just bought another Garmin c550 offline. I basically went to CircuitCity (my goat) and picked what I liked hearing from the salesperson. You can go somewhere else or more than one place. Then hit up the internet (pricegrabber.com) punch in Name of NAV unit and you will get prices. Choose from best reviews and price, and buy it, and wait for it at your door step. I got both c550s for $460 shipped. BestBuy and CC if not on sale (which happens alot) are charging $600-650 without taxes included for the same unit. $480 out the door if and when they are on sale (just seen it onsale this weekend). It is a little fat but you can try something the Nuivii (sp?) that are thinner. The c550 has bluetooth, 5 million point of interest, FM traffic warnings, music playing capabilities, a lot of cool things. But you may not need Bluetooth or music, so you can find something under $400. Hope this helps. I was recommended Tom Tom or Garmin. Also do some comparisons online and check out consumer reviews. Best of Luck Fridge!

#189518 - 05/26/07 02:46 PM Re: I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
thanks guys, sorry richard, I finally had a day off and I got lost trying to find the new golf course and then was late for my tee time, and had other golfers breathing down my neck the entire time, ruined my only day off in like two weeks, was a bit crabby.

Sorry again
ryan

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#189519 - 05/26/07 04:07 PM Re: I Need Navigation
dude, you aint hurtin my feelings, I aint got issues with anyone (well, except whats-her-name and Max. They, I wanna kill). I can certainly understand the frustration. tell ya what, find a Kia for under 300 USD (which should be real easy), a baseball bat, and feel confidant that you're saving some poor sap from buying the biggest mistake of his/her life.

Out of curiosity, where in Green Bay are ya? Last summer I was stayin in Ashwebenon and driving to Osh Kosh for the airshow. I ended up cruisin downtown several times on the last day I was in town. I got pics of downtown GB and of Lambeau Field. From the home tunnel. Pretty flippin cool.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#189520 - 05/26/07 04:28 PM Re: I Need Navigation
The Fridge Offline
I live in howard, a village just north of green bay. If you were by the stadium you were only about 5mins away. I live within walking distance of Bay Port High School. And the Detail shop I work at is in between the two.

I like the idea about the kia, we should start a little club, kias, hondas, anything that sounds like a bee with exhaust. Grand Prix's hunting ricers, dun, dun, duuuuunnn! (say it out loud)

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#189521 - 05/26/07 04:36 PM Re: I Need Navigation
LOL. one prob, we're all separated by an estimated average of 500 miles.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#189522 - 05/26/07 05:07 PM Re: I Need Navigation
20gtp02 Offline
Garmin Nuvi 660 going for $799 at Bestbuy without taxes added on to that. Sam's selling it for $599 plus add tax. Online $582 shipped to your door!

#189523 - 05/28/07 12:29 PM Re: I Need Navigation
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
The Nuvi is a great system. You can get them online for less than $800 though.

If you're still looking, stick with a major brand. Garmin and TomTom would be my recommendation. I have some friends with Garmins and they love them. TomTom can't be too bad since they have the contract with Chrysler for all the in-car units.