Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197165 - 11/27/07 12:46 AM So we put my dog down today... :(
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Her name was Elizabeth. She's a pure-bred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

We got her as a puppy a year and a hlaf ago. She was my mother-in-law's little retirement plan; she was going to breed her with their other Cavalier, Royal. Both dogs had papers so we are talking $1400 dogs here...

Well, let's see. Liz had her first litter about 2 months ago. We tried to register them but it turned out the the person we bought Liz from, never registered that litter, so Liz didn't have breeding papers, so now these pups that were supposed to be sold for big bucks, weren't worth even half that anymore.

Well, we managed to sell the 4 pups at about $550 each, not bad but just barely covered the cost of Elizabeth herself.

While the pups were still around, Liz had an adsesed(sp?) tooth, or so we thought. We took her to the dentist, had the tooth pulled, then put her on antibiotics and stuff.

Well, it didn't get better and a few weeks later, 2 more absesed teeth showed up. We returned to the dentist and had some more x-rays taken. Something didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, they found it to look like cancer in her jaw.

They performed a biopsy a week ago. A few days later, the tests came back and sure enough, it was cancer.

We really didn't know what to do. They dpn't have a ton of money and they needed to see how far the cancer had spread to see if it was curable. So, today, they payed $800 for a CAT scan.

They decided to put Elizabeth under before the CAT scan and if it had spread, they would put her down on the spot.

We kind of knew it had spread because her lymph nodes were very swollen, but we had no idea just how much.

As it turned out, they estimated she would have had maybe 10 days to live.

So they put her down. She's buried out at the lake house in Fort Atkinson.

Cancer. A year and a half old. She never showed any sign of pain or sickness, she was always energetic and playful, even til this past Saturday, the last day I saw her.

So yeah... I guess that's that. I'm sorry if I brought anybody's mood down. frown I just wanted to let my friends (yes, YOU guys! and gals) know.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#197166 - 11/27/07 12:53 AM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well you did put me in a sad mood a little bit, but it seems like you really love and take care of your dogs which me I never really like dogs and thats probable because I am a ups driver now. But anyway Im sorry for what happen and hope the best for you and I know this will take sometime to get over, but I have to say the way the dog died, how rare is that because I never heard of a jaw cancer type thing with a dog.
#197167 - 11/27/07 12:53 AM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Hey, man, I'm sorry. I remember when I was younger, my parents had to put one of their cats down, and naturally, it was really the only one that I liked...
#197168 - 11/27/07 01:29 AM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Liz and I were never really all that close. I mean, I loved her to death but I'm doing ok.

Now if it was Pele, MY dog. I don't know. I think I'd have to personally give the injection because I wouldn't let anybody else.

God, I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's his time. Just thinking about it makes me choke up...

It's just so unusual. She was so young, and to die of CANCER? Just makes you wonder how and why don't it?

Ah, but it's all good. I know she's happy as a clam right now! And I'll see her again some day, many years from now.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#197169 - 11/27/07 07:34 AM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
sorry to hear that i got a brittany spanigle at home that i got when my dads first wife died... have no clue on her age everyone says she is young but i know that cant be... she is great! we have really bonded over the year and its gonna be hard to see her go...
#197170 - 11/27/07 08:08 AM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
It's sad to put a dog down. I had a Greyhound I had to put down, then I had a rare bread dog that died shortly after that.
Losing a dog really is like losing your best friend.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#197171 - 11/28/07 05:49 PM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I can relate...my mom kept my dog from when I was a kid, she lived to be twenty years old but the poor thing had cataracts on both eyes among other problems...when she went it was sad times for sure. Now my mom now has another terrier that is failing slowly and I really worry how hard its going to hit her hard.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#197172 - 11/28/07 11:44 PM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
What a Pain, I love dogs, I've had a lot and I know exactly how it feels to say goodbye to a friend, sorry to hear that man.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#197173 - 11/28/07 11:57 PM Re: So we put my dog down today... :(
Lino Offline
Loc: Memphis, TN
angel Just remember all dogs go to heaven. I sorry to hear about your loss.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590135