Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181257 - 07/30/09 08:17 PM got hit today
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
Yep, i got hit, i was in the right lane, minding my own busness as there was a van in the left lane, the left lane traffic slowed and the person in the van wasnt paying attn, when suddenly they slam on there brakes and swirve to cut me off, i hit my brakes, and just got there rear bumper with my fender/bumper, paint came off the bumper, and fender, and small cracks in my headlight, i also took the edge of the rode so the dmg wouldnt be any worse, by the time i got back into the lane the van had turned off the road and i didnt see them, so it was a hit and run, no cops, because i cant turn it into ins, a clame is a clame, and my rates would go up. what a shame the driver of the van couldnt even stop..... ahh most likely another uninsured driver
#181258 - 07/30/09 08:26 PM Re: got hit today
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
That just plain sucks...but keep in mind uninsured motorist protection is one of the things your basic car insurance covers so you should be fine on getting repairs taken care of.
I got tagged by an uninsured driver once and your instinct is that you want to see him fry but reality is that the insurance company will dog him like the IRS as soon as they get done paying out your claim.
insurance companies are the most vicious bloodhounds in the industry.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#181259 - 07/30/09 08:30 PM Re: got hit today
4drgt Offline
yes, but a clame is a clame, i can save my self the $300 max in materials to fix and repair the car myself, heck, the ins company can get that out of 2 months if they really want
#181260 - 07/31/09 02:09 AM Re: got hit today
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I was almost in a bad wreck about a week ago. I was on my way home from work, a little after midnight. I was coming up to an S curve, and saw an SUV headed into it coming towards me going entirely too fast. I slowed down, so that I wouldn't be in the curve at the same time as him. He barely keeps it in his lane, but his high beams are on, right at eye level. Blinds me. I blink a couple times and shook my head, and open my eyes right before I get to the curve, only to see a second SUV that I never saw, coming around even faster, half in my lane, only a second from me. I didn't even think, I just tapped the brakes a little and swerved just far enough to get around him, but not far enough to drive into the ditch, and laid on the horn.

Scared the **** out of me.

Moral of the story: driving would be a very enjoyable experience if it weren't for all the other drivers on the road. banghead I am fully confident in my own abilities, but it seems like every single other driver is a total idiot sometimes.

Pics of the damage?
#181261 - 07/31/09 07:58 AM Re: got hit today
4drgt Offline
i would take some pics but i lost my camera in the move and i am trying to find it curently
#181262 - 07/31/09 08:25 AM Re: got hit today
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Glad you're okay at least. I agree about the insurance, not worth the risk of them raising your rates unless it's $1000s of damage.
#181263 - 07/31/09 02:30 PM Re: got hit today
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
sucks to hear man.

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#181264 - 07/31/09 03:01 PM Re: got hit today
MAC GTP Offline
Loc: Willow Grove,PA
yea man i know how you feel. i was hit last year he took my mirror off and just floored it and left. i would have chased him bit if i go a mile from the crash site i can get charged with hit and run too.

hope the damage to your wallet isnt too bad bro
#181265 - 07/31/09 11:14 PM Re: got hit today
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
my rates have never gone up from an accident that someone else caused or from an uninsured claim. who do you have some one firm insurance company get farmers when i got hit by a drunk driver that didn't have insurance i only had to my the $250 uninsured motorist deductible and they made sure he got the maximum penalty under state law. my rates actually went down by $20 after that one.

#181266 - 08/01/09 02:17 AM Re: got hit today
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Plus, uninsured motorist usually isn't terribly expensive. At Allstate, I don't want to post what I pay in 6 months, because it's stupidly high for having no tickets or accidents and I'm switching to another insurance company in a couple weeks, but it's around 10% of my total bill. Maybe less. It's not one of the big ticket items.
#181267 - 08/01/09 12:37 PM Re: got hit today
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Any claim can raise your rates, having just one probably won't but if you get enough within a certain time, your fault or not, they're going to raise your rates. Not just your uninsured rates either.