Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216787 - 11/16/11 09:31 PM It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
On Tuesday all construction was suspended on COTA, today all equipment was removed from the site.
What once was to be the home of the US Grand Prix F1 for the next 10 years, MotoGP for a 10 year run and a 5 year US run for the Australian V8 Supercars and not to mention various other racing series who had their eye on the track, appears to me nothing more than a bad dream.
Apparently a disagreement between Bernie (head of F1) and COTA on the F1 contract that was to be given to the track may end in Bernie taking his ball to New Jersey.
COTA and Bernie have only a few weeks to get things ironed out before COTA is officially removed from the 2012 F1 schedule and possibly permanently removed all together.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#216788 - 11/16/11 09:51 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
Richard Candelario Offline
That's a crying shame. For once, a waste of state was going to be of some use to the world...*sigh* *smh* Poor Texas...forever to play second fiddle to AZ.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#216790 - 11/17/11 02:39 AM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
That is sad to hear, mostly because I was looking forward to taking in some Aussie Supercars on Speed Channel!

What a waste!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#216793 - 11/17/11 11:22 AM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
AustinGTP Offline
Speed has been pumping up the event lately, televising live V8 Supercars events and talking about how the celebrity portion of the US event would bring in drivers of all kinds of racing series.
It's a shame that this track will now be nothing more than a mud pit with a tunnel in what would have been turn 1.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#216803 - 11/18/11 03:07 AM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Things like this never cease to amaze me rgarding the blatant stupidity of the communities that shun such facilities.

Right here in Richmond VA, we have lost three minor league hockey teams, an arena football team, a long term AA baseball team, and in danger of losing the one that took the chance replacing the first...and all because squabbling politicians wont pony up for new facilities.
The Coliseum in downtown is 40yrs old and sucks for parking, and baseball diamond is older than that, sporting only major renovation in the past 30 years. These places have the potential to generate huge amounts of local revenue.

The immortal line from "Field of Dreams" more often than not rings true, "If you build it, they will come."

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#216805 - 11/18/11 01:26 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
AustinGTP Offline
There appears to be a little bit of hope left for the track. F1 is holding off on having the scheduled race in 2012, they're pushing it to 2013 to give the track a chance to come up with the needed sanctioning funds.
The state of Texas has a special fund for major entertainment events such as the Superbowl, NCAA Final Four and F1 races. The state is to give $25M/year to such events to help off set the sanctioning fees. Apparently the state comptroller has decided to not give COTA the $25 million until after the first race. She gave it to Jerry's world before the Superbowl and she gave it Reliant in Houston before the NCAA Final Four. I just don't understand why she decided to change her mind and wait until after the first race. It appears that she is the one who is screwing this whole deal. F1 wants their sanctioning fees but since she decided to not give COTA the $25M until after the first race, COTA can't pay F1 the fees that they are requesting because COTA budgeted the $25M to pay the fees and now COTA doesn't have that money.

#216809 - 11/18/11 02:26 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Well the NFL and NCAA do have a mjor presence and is a known comodity. The F1 race is a gamble as far as the state is concerned. I bet if NASCAR would get involved things would be different. Im sorry but I dont see a 100,000 raving fans attending an F1 race stateside. Plus with drawbacks and schools laging off teachers towns shutting off street lights to save cash 25 million to help with a race track just doesnt look good with the constituants.
#216812 - 11/18/11 06:09 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
AustinGTP Offline
The money is in a special account designated by the law makers which specifically names events such as F1. If COTA doesn't get the money, some other major entertainment venue will. It can't go to teachers or any other area without a special session being called in by the Governor to eliminate the account and have the funds transferred into the general account. Any attempt of doing so by the Comptroller would result in jail time for her for mishandling state funds. It's not a "nobody should get this money because teachers need it more" issue because teachers aren't getting it regardless.
Also keep in mind, it's not just 1 race, it's currently 3 races and not to mention everything else that will be done at the track. Business opportunities, educational purposes, medical/rescue training facilities. The COTA Complex will offer so much more to the region than just an F1 race. Del Valle, one of the poorest school districts in the state will gain from this track. They're already planning to use the track and it's facilities for educational purposes. Without the track the Del Valle school district will face more hard times.
It truly will be a win-win situation for all.

#216817 - 11/19/11 01:23 AM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I know monies cant be moved but its all about perception. And yes there is more then just the F1 race. I just dont see F1 and the Aussie V8 series and any other small series drawing enough of a crowd for the initial outlay. Now of they were told the money was theirs and then taken back thats just wrong. If they started construction and schedulling assuming theyd vet the states money then the devs are idiots.
#216820 - 11/19/11 01:34 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
AustinGTP Offline
The Comptroller set guidelines that needed to be met in order for COTA to get the money. COTA met the guidelines, then the Comptroller changed her mind on when she was going to give COTA the money. She has now decided to wait until after the first race, which makes no sense to me since this money is supposed to be used to offset sanctioning fees and those fees need to be paid before the race occurs, not after. She's making things difficult for COTA.
Purely my opinion as you do have yours, but I think the first F1 race will be a sell out. I also believe, based on the format of a 2 day event which includes a celebrity invitational race on the first day, the V8 supercars will sell out their entire 5 year run.

#216822 - 11/19/11 09:29 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I dont know. Just not much coverage outside of speed channel for the Aussie series. I think it will take a few years to sell out those races. I do agree once the facility is completed it would be a boon for tje local economy. The comptroller pulling the funding sounds fishy. I wonder if some one from NASCAR or IRL had anything to do with it. From my understanding the Aussie series is more of a "stock" car then NASCAR . Sprint cup is hurting. The last race at TMS was only about 75% capacity. Tons of open seats.
#216918 - 12/07/11 04:08 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
AustinGTP Offline
ALL SYSTEMS GO! http://www.formula1.com/default.html

Bring on the V8 Supercars! WOOHOO!!!

#216919 - 12/07/11 06:50 PM Re: It's a Sad Day in Austin, TX [Re: AustinGTP]
Richard Candelario Offline
Congrats to your city, Bobby!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC