Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211301 - 08/01/05 08:40 AM 14.2 sec quarter published
rayainsw Offline
Loc: atlanta
http://pontiacenthusiast.com/
(Click on Cover for Link.)

I did finally find a copy (exactly 1) at my local B&N.
They state that a 13 sec. quarter, with a "fairly cold engine", is ".. definitely possible".

I am glad to see the low 14s here - particularly after the Edmunds numbers . .

- Ray
Still not a drag racer, just interested . .
#211302 - 08/31/05 01:31 PM Re: 14.2 sec quarter published
rayainsw Offline
CD test result numbers for the GXP:

5.7 --- 0-60
14.3/98mph --- 1/4 mile
143 top speed
.82 g lateral
174 ---70-0 braking

- Ray
Not ready for 143, but 14.3 and 5.7 sounds like what my “butt dyno” reads . . .
#211303 - 08/31/05 03:52 PM Re: 14.2 sec quarter published
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I was reading that the other day as well. Too bad I don't have the money for it.... devilsad
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#211304 - 09/14/05 10:33 AM Re: 14.2 sec quarter published
rayainsw Offline
Car and Driver GXP test . .

I found this quite an interesting Test. I read it though twice. And I pulled the CompG test out of my files. Well, out of my disorganized stacks of back issues. . .

I have driven multiple examples of both the 2004 GTP CompG and the GXP – and I can understand most of the comments and conclusions in each test. (The CompG was tested by C+D in the July 2003 issue.)

The characters (as well as raw acceleration numbers) of these cars are very different.

And given the limited editorial pages available, that’s likely why C+D chose to do a full 4 page test, rather than a single page of impressions.

As I understand the substantial delays holding back a RWD platform to replace the FWD Grand Prix (and other FWD GM platforms) I see the GXP and the Impala SS as representative of what we will see for reasonably priced, mid-sized Sport Sedans from The General – at least for a while . .

[[ Aside: In Post # 4040 on the GP Board at Edmunds.com – now “Grand Prix 2005 and earlier” – in mid-February, I predicted a quarter mile time for the GXP of 14.3. MT reported 14.3 in their June issue, and now C+D reports: (drum roll, please) 14.3 . . ]]

I consider this pretty quick, for a 4-door sedan geared as it is, with EPA ratings of 18 / 27, and available for substantially less than $30K. In fact, looking at the Sept. issue of Motor Trend, where they test 3 sport sedans (each with an automatic trans.) that I think one could argue have MSRPs and typical purchase prices that are in the “next tier up” - none of these 3 would beat the GXP in 0 – 60 or in the Quarter Mile. The quickest of these 3 (both the BMW 330i & Infiniti G35 – the Audi A4 3.2 was even further behind) posted 14.7 seconds. And 0 – 60 in 6.5 & 6.6. Compared to 5.7 (C+D), 6.0 (MT) for the GXP.

A half second may not seem like a lot to many. My experience has been that the seat-of-the-pants difference in feel between two cars a half second apart in 0 – 60 and the Quarter is something that is easily discernable to those who view acceleration performance as: “of significant interest”.

Now any car is more (or can be less) than a couple of numbers, but I find these numbers to be quite impressive (and I certainly find my GXP’s acceleration experience entertaining) given the actual transaction price and the other attributes this vehicle delivers.

Clearly, in some respects, as C+D states: “This ain’t a BMW.”

Yet, in every dynamic aspect that is important to me, the GXP is actually better than the last 3 BMWs I test drove – price considered. (2 330i-s and 1 540i, a couple of years ago.) And I find it quite comfortable and ‘driver friendly’ as well

YMMV.

- Ray
Content with this iteration of GM’s FWD Sport Sedan . .

Moderator:  AustinGTP, Marc Harbison, Redshift