Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211562 - 08/08/06 10:02 AM DVD navigation?
drwtsn32 Offline
Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
I'm looking at replacing my 99 GTP with an 06/07 GXP. I hear the DVD navigation system integrates with the heads-up display. That sounds too cool to pass up!

For those that have the DVD nav, does it play MP3 discs? If so is it on CD only or can you load up a DVD-R with MP3s?

Thanks!
#211563 - 08/09/06 09:55 AM Re: DVD navigation?
Jim GXP Offline
Loc: Lake County Illinois
I don't have the Nav on my 06 GXP, but I do know that there is more info displayed on the heads up on the GXP than on my 01 GTP.

I suggest you go for a test drive. You won't be disappointed! The power is unreal. It is like driving my 96 Z28 again, but I can fit the kids in the back!
#211564 - 09/17/06 09:05 PM Re: DVD navigation?
TRCIII Offline
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Love the Nav system in the 2006 GXP, but it did piss me off a little to find that it did not play MP3 discs, but played CDs only. The Nav DVD is definitely fully "hooked into" the heads-up display, showing how long to next turn, which way, the name of the street, a decreasing countdown in tenths of a mile, and a graphic "percentage to completion" bar that works in reverse to show how much distance you have remaining before the next turn. The HUD is EVER-SO-MUCH better than my previous Grand Prix GTP...much more robust, clearer, and chock full of other non-Nav information, as well (compass direction, MPH, radio station name from the XML satellite radio, etc.) If the information you need to know is too much to display on the HUD, it will refer you to the in-car display screen for additional information.
Definitely one of the best add-on toys and improvements in this model.
#211565 - 09/18/06 11:31 AM Re: DVD navigation?
drwtsn32 Offline
Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
No MP3?! For a $2k+ addon that is unacceptable.

I'm also peeved that they apparently dropped the electrochromic rear view mirror.
#211566 - 10/07/06 09:20 AM Re: DVD navigation?
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Actually your dealer has an update for that to allow it to play mp3's. It was also available online but I can't find that now.

BTW here's some HUD pics laugh :

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#211567 - 10/28/06 07:53 PM Re: DVD navigation?
joeilesGXP Offline
Loc: Northern New Jersey
I have an '06 GXP with Nav Yes, the Heads up display will show you upcoming directions if you set the nav to take you somewhere. it will also display sat. radio stations. I play MP3 in my cd drive but never tried in the dvd slot. I will give it a shot and let you know.
#211568 - 10/30/06 07:46 PM Re: DVD navigation?
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I wasn't aware that the DVD nav system played MP3's. We are trying to decide which one we want, the 6-Disc changer, or the DVD Nav. System. I am leaning toward the Nav System, b/c it will be her car, and the DVD player will be great for when we have kids.

Let me know a little bit more about it.

Can you play movies, etc. and it come through all speakers?
#211569 - 11/08/06 08:46 PM Re: DVD navigation?
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
There's a conversion for it, but it requires a separate unit that hooks up to it. There's info about it on www.corvetteforum.com

Just checkin' in periodically :-D

Moderator:  AustinGTP, Marc Harbison, Redshift