TStat Install

Posted by: '01 GT

TStat Install - 05/09/08 06:41 PM

ok so i just bought a 180 Tstat and i need to know where it is and how to install it. ya i knows its a dumb question but im slowly but surely becoming better with the engine. Steve(20gtp02) also mentioned something to me about drilling it? so any advice will help. thanx in advance guys.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: TStat Install - 05/09/08 09:44 PM

Here's a write up: http://macgp.clubgp.com/howto/engine/tstat/tstat.htm

Re: TStat Install - 05/09/08 11:09 PM

sweet thanx alot!! thumbsup

Re: TStat Install - 05/09/08 11:46 PM

You're welcome...just drill a 1/8 inch hole or two in the flange, like so: http://www.zzperformance.com/products_img/231_1.jpg

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 12:09 AM

awesome...ya tomorrow is supposed to be nice so thats probably what i will be doing, gotta get it ready for the florida heat..lol
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 12:33 AM

trust me man, its HOT.

It was in the mid-upper 90s here today, with some crazy humidity

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 12:40 AM

ya and steve told me the bugs r horrible....im even considering buying a bra for the front end so my car doesnt get eaten up....

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 12:46 AM

just use magic erasers to get them off. they work really good

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 12:56 AM

they wont hurt the paint? and dont i have to wash them off every day? ewwww man im not looking forward to that no banghead

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 11:50 AM

ive left mine on for a few days and not had a problem. Ive been using the magic erasers for a while and never had a problem.

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 02:18 PM

ok sweet deal....so i finished the tstat swap about an hr ago and i decided to spray the engine down with some simple green. i just sprayed it and washed it off, didnt do any scrubbing. For a first timer i think i did a pretty good job. i will get pics up of my first engine cleaning in a little bit. smile
Posted by: Chico

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 04:50 PM

Once you get you engine spottless it's easy to keep clean ,i just use windex and a microfiber towel and give a quick wipedown and for the Billet parts Mothers Billet polish ,for the first cleaning use Gunk engine cleaner go to the car wash and pressure wash all the nooks and crannies,dry with a towel so it does'nt water spot.Chico(pops)

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 05:10 PM

like in the engine what can i pressure wash so nothng gets ruined or something
Posted by: 98greenGT

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 06:03 PM

When I wash my engine I cover the alternator and the coil packs with plastic bags. If you have an exposed intake cover that too.

Pressure washing isn't necessary unless your engine is terrible. I usually spray the degreaser, let it sit, work it in with a brush and rinse with low pressure water so nothing gets knocked loose.

I barely even do that though, the engine has gotten washed as often as the outside of the car since day 1 so it's pretty much spotless.

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 06:38 PM

i just went out to see how it looked after the water kind of dried...it looks pretty good...just gotta detail it a little more once i get some more time...ill probably do that when im down in florida in a couple weeks
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 09:16 PM

Why you calling me when Black arrow gave you a sweet write up on tstat install. And after using magic eraser you can bust out the wax. It will help improve the paint and it will help get the bugs off easier next time they all decided to go to the cemetary on the GP bumper!

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:06 PM

dude lol if u would have listened to me i told u that he gave me a write up but it wasnt specific on the bleeding the hose part. so chill out dude...lol

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:41 PM

Bleeding the cooling system: Fill the radiator, but leave some room, as the coolant level may rise & fall a bit until the T-stat opens. Use a pan to catch any spilled coolant. Start the engine, turn the heater on (blower on low), then open the bleeder valve about 1 1/2 turns. When the engine reaches operating temp and you see coolant coming out, close the valve. Open the throttle by hand, and raise the engine speed to around 2000 rpm, top off the radiator & replace the cap, then release the throttle (This helps keep air pockets out of the cooling system). Recheck the coolant level with the engine cold, and top off if necessary. cheers

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:43 PM

lol well all i did was take a 8mm socket because i dont have a flathead screwdriver slot on mine and i turned it about 1 1/2 turns counterclockwise until i saw coolant come out and then i was like ok im done and then i filled the coolan resevoir to about just above cold

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:45 PM

I would recheck the level in the radiator, just to be sure... wink

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:47 PM

in the actual resevoir? by the fuse box?

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:50 PM

When the engine is cold, open the radiator cap, check the coolant level & top off if necessary, then put the cap on.

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:52 PM

ok. ill check it out tomorrow morning. I drove the car around tonight and everything seemed fine.

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 10:55 PM

Ok, just don't want to see the Low Coolant light gremlin rear its ugly head... laugh

Re: TStat Install - 05/10/08 11:04 PM

lol ok...ill check it out in the morning. thanx alot