PCM

Posted by: *Nice-Try*

PCM - 06/09/07 03:43 PM

I want to thank everyone here at GP net again for all ur help. I have another question to through out there. PCM what do u suggest. I have done some reading and found that u have to send BIN files to manufacture from ur OE PCM. Is this right and if so how do u pull it? Secondly they as for set-up of MODs ... are the PCM reflashable when u change ur MODs and what do u need? I have access to a Tech 2 but I am not interested in Tuning my aftermarket PCM, just looking for a drop in that will work.
If u can help again it is much appreciated.
Just lookin forward to eating some RICE smile
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 03:46 PM

A drop in PCM would be DHP or ZZP. Those are the 2 popular ones. If you arent interested in tuning it yourself.

I wasnt real happy with my ZZP PCM, and i loved my DHP. But you cant beat a custom tune that can be had with a powrtuner
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 05:33 PM

Even if you go with one of those. You should still try and tune that because each car is different and the PCMs have generic upgrades so they are compatible with any new customer. After getting mine, many tunes, increased my MPG, getting 50 more miles to the tank or more.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 05:54 PM

Did I jsut read that right? You're getting 50+ miles per tank? That's what, about 5MPG gain by just tuning? Tell me thats a goal and not what you're experiencing.

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 06:43 PM

tuning is the key richard. It is suprising what can be gained from it
Posted by: Digitallyphoenix

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 07:33 PM

Yes it is 50miles more per tank. i was the one who tuned his car. the ZZP pcm was running very rich on the low end and lean on the top. so i was able to dial that all back and the difference was amazing. just by being able to have the pcm tuned for your specific car will make a noticable diff.

Re: PCM - 06/09/07 09:05 PM

so what u suggest for tunable PCM?
Posted by: Digitallyphoenix

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 12:24 AM

there are only two real options worth considering... the DHP powertuner or the HPtuner. many people with our cars use the DHP so you have more people to help you with issues and pointers. the HPtuner can also be updated to work on other cars. so thats one benifit of it.

you may find hand held tuners like the Hypertech or the diablo or something... but these are very very limited and still cost the same price as the dhp or hptuner. so deff not worth it.
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 01:26 AM

You should really get a powrtuner since you are going to be pretty modded. A mail-order tune from any company will never be spot on when you get to a certain modding point. My ZZP top swap tune was terrible (not to crap on ZZP cause I love em) but just goes to show that every car is different and when you're more than just the standard CAI, PCM, pulley, it's definitely hard to make it work right.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 02:53 AM

I better warn you... you will really need to put a lot of effort into learning how to tune if you're gunna use a tuner. If you're not sure you'll be able to understand sometimes complicated things, or spend time learning before you go tune, you better just buy a ZZP or DHP.
It doesn't tune for you. You scan and compute what to change yourself. Not the most user-friendly setup either.
Posted by: Acefighter

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 03:48 AM

So, basically, if you don't know a whole lot about cars or what all the stuff on the tuner means, you wouldn't recommend getting one, you'd just get the aftermarket PCM?

Because now that I'm finally getting my raise, at work, I can fix my front end and then start modding, so I've been wondering if I should get a PCM or a powertuner.

*EDIT* Also, are there any big differences between the ZZP & DHP PCMs? Because looking at them on ZZP and PFYC, they sound pretty similar.

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 08:57 AM

does any one have a link to Pwer tuners and mating PCMs

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 09:06 AM

Void last post

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
So, basically, if you don't know a whole lot about cars or what all the stuff on the tuner means, you wouldn't recommend getting one, you'd just get the aftermarket PCM?

Because now that I'm finally getting my raise, at work, I can fix my front end and then start modding, so I've been wondering if I should get a PCM or a powertuner.

*EDIT* Also, are there any big differences between the ZZP & DHP PCMs? Because looking at them on ZZP and PFYC, they sound pretty similar.
If youre not going to learn all of the stuff about it then i wouldnt spend all the extra on the powrtuner. It can be very complicated and takes a lot of know-how.

DHP and ZZP are pretty similar. I stand by DHP, i wasnt real happy with my ZZP PCM

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 06:27 PM

I just bought a powrtuner... yee haw!
Posted by: Kev-GTP

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 07:47 PM

Overkill FTW! Just ordered mine today.

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 08:01 PM

Unsure if the tuner is worth it (price), for the mods I am installing? Anyone know of a club in Ontario Canada?

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 09:24 PM

http://www.oqcgp.com/main.php
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: PCM - 06/10/07 09:36 PM

If you're in Canada, get in touch with Will at Overkill.
He can be found on CGP, name "Overkill".
I don't know where he is in relation to where you are, but I'm sure if you can get him to tune for you it'll be a major plus.
Posted by: 02redGP

Re: PCM - 09/10/07 08:54 PM

I have spoken to Will to set up an appointment to reflash my PCM with overkill. Will actually test drives your car and reflashes the PCM with a laptop without having to touch my PCM. My 02 GT has been running excellent after installing my k&n intake kit. The car is much more responsive and has more power than before, the shifting seems to be perfect now. I am wondering what this Overkill PCM can really do for me because of that. I am hoping I will get some extra horse power out of it mainly. I am currently running regular 87 octane in my car and it runs great. I realize this overkill pcm needs 91 octane or higher. I am willing to pay for premium fuel as long as this PCM really improves my car. Is the reason for the higher octane because the compression ratio is increased? Let me know what you think. Thanks
Posted by: RooK

Re: PCM - 09/10/07 09:17 PM

Compression ratio cannot be increased without installing new pistons, crank, or shaving heads. He increases the timing, which puts more pressure on the fuel mixture before ignition so it can get more power out of it.