Options for V8

Posted by: jpf51684

Options for V8 - 02/08/04 11:29 AM

Not really planning on doing much over the winter (no $$$) but i was wondering what kinda options, if any, a Grand Prix owned has for upgrading to a v8?

02 grand prix GTP
Posted by: why2kmax

Re: Options for V8 - 02/08/04 01:36 PM

buy a GTO or Bonny GXP. wink

The only FWD trans that Ive seen fitted to a V8 is the 4T80E mated to the Northstar in the caddys. That trans wont fit in the Grand Prix, only the bonneville, which is why that bonny GXP can be a V8.

IMO FWD V8 is prob out of the question. Unless you can do a lot of fabricating and make that trans fit, or make the car RWD.

GM made two prototype FWD V8 Impalas (2000+) using a northstar and an LS1. both were FWD but I think the Impala is the same size/class/body as the Bonneville and both used the 4T80E.

Jeff
Posted by: Bryan R

Re: Options for V8 - 02/08/04 02:10 PM

When I was at the Portland Auto Show, they had an 04 Grand Prix, that had a 4.6 Litre Northstar V8 in it. It was the "Rally Edition" GTP. They said it probably will lose the V8 in production tho. They didn't know if it was a 4T65E tranny or the 4T80E tranny tho... Other than the engine, that GTP had a sweet body kit... Next time I'll have to bring my camera...

cheers

bryan
Posted by: jvojr

Re: Options for V8 - 02/08/04 08:08 PM

There is someone in New Hampshire that took a 2004 GTP and converted to an LS1 V8 and rear drive. How does that sound? Expensive.
Posted by: jpf51684

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 03:16 AM

what kinda expensive devilgrin
Posted by: grandprixse

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 11:34 AM

It was done on an Impala, also a W-body.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0303GMH_homerun/
i'm also looking in to a v8 swap

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 12:11 PM

I found out on ebay. There were a couple of GTP engine/trannys complete for sale. In one of desciptions it said that the motor and trans was taken out of a brand new 04 GTP because the owner was putting in a new LS1 V8 with a rear drive conversion. I just looked on ebay and the motors are gone now. I was going to get the guy's e-mail address and post it so you could ask but it's gone. Sorry. I'll keep looking.

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 12:31 PM

http://www.fastfieros.com/news.htm they have info on the ls1 swap if you have any other info email me at keveyj55@hotmail.com

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 12:41 PM

Aside from the Fieros, all the W bodies are still FWD. The guy on Ebay said he converted to RWD. I'll keep looking.

Re: Options for V8 - 02/09/04 12:46 PM

fast fiero is gonna offer a w body ls1 swap kit

Re: Options for V8 - 02/21/04 01:50 AM

Here's the ebay ad from the same guy in New Hampshire. He sold everything but the motor. You should e-mail him and find out some info on the V8/rear drive swap and tell us about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2461687225&category=33615

Re: Options for V8 - 02/21/04 01:59 AM

I e-mailed him for any info. I'll keep the post open if I hear back.
Jack

Re: Options for V8 - 02/21/04 05:41 PM

I got an e-mail back from the guy doing the V8 to GTP conversion(posted below). Sounds amazing.

Jack,
At this point it is a body sitting in the shed and the custom
frame is being built on the frame table. It is very involved as all
the heater box assembly and alot of the floor has to be removed. We
will be using a vintage air system that should fit under the dash on
the right side for ac and heat. Firewall has to be modified by being
moved back about 4" and a custom tunnel fabricated. It will be about
1 year in the making. We are trying for an almost stock exterior
(with the exception of the wheels) and at first glance, a stock
interior. The surprise will be when someone jumps on the throttle. I
am going to document it but will hold picture release till the
vehicle is up and running. Thanks for asking. John
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Options for V8 - 02/21/04 11:40 PM

I'd like to know the total cost he will end up with once it's all done.
Although what he's doing sounds very interseting.