question

Posted by: GTPJesse

question - 06/14/07 02:45 PM

Hey guys,

Before I bought the GTP. My friend had a Gp GT, and I noticed that it had a lot dings and for everything like low oil, low gas, and others....but in my GTP I did noticed it tells me i'm low in gas when I go under 40....but in the HUD the little gas light doesn't go on is there a reason....I also noticed he had a little light by his gas meter that would light up as well.....also when i put the car in Overdrive I only know its on by a blue shift light on the left side of speedometer, and I looked in the manual it show it turns on in the little box where it show MPG, and how much gas you have os on so for.....any ideas....?
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: question - 06/14/07 03:21 PM

Could be a faulty sending unit, tho im not to sure, im sure others will chime in with better ideas!
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: question - 06/14/07 03:30 PM

with this issue, I'm hearing only crickets. wish I could help, but I will be staying tuned

Re: question - 06/14/07 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
with this issue, I'm hearing only crickets. wish I could help, but I will be staying tuned
Yeah, im thinking if it was the sending unit the "idot light" will come on... sounds like an electrical issue alil more... hmmmm im staying tuned for more too lol
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: question - 06/14/07 04:22 PM

The gas pump in the HUD won't come on until the low fuel light on the dash illuminates.

That blue "shift light" is the performance shift not OD. When you put the shifter in D you have no choice but to use OD. If you don't want OD engaged then put the shifter in 3. Performance shift raises line pressure in the tranny ups the rpms for shifts at WOT and a couple of other little things.

Some models had the perf shift indicator in the DIC (Driver's Information Center) where your fuel range mpg etc is displayed.
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: question - 06/14/07 05:47 PM

Once you get really low on gas, you should have three dumby lights go on. The DIC, HUD, and the dash.

Re: question - 06/14/07 05:49 PM

Now does the gas light come on when my Dic comes on? Also should my perf shift light come on when I push the button?

Adding a question.....what should we drive in then in "D" or 3??

Re: question - 06/14/07 05:57 PM

In D you want the overdrive on, it runs the rpm's lower and increases gas millage that way, in 3, you would use that for climing a big hill or something along those lines

Re: question - 06/14/07 08:48 PM

The DIC won't have a low fuel light. The range will go to low. The low fuel light will light off when the needle is just touching or about to touch the orange.

The perf shift light will be on when the button is pushed in. If not then the bulb is burnt out (mines burnt out just keep forgetting to get a new one and perf shift works without the light on)kinda nice not having that blue light cause it's very distracting at night. I just reach down and feel if the button is in or out.

As for D or 3.
leaving it in D is just fine. The car is designed to run that way. When driving on surface streets where the speeds stay at or below 45 some people drive in 3 to keep it from shifting into 4th (OD) to save wear on the tranny. When I had my OEM PCM the mid forties she would hunt between 3 and 4 alot so If you find the car hunting for the right gear just put it in 3 and go on your merry way. Ever since I got my ZZP PCM I no longer notice her hunting gears.
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: question - 06/14/07 08:54 PM

I leave mine in 3 because if I put it in D around town, my torque converter wants to lockup. With the shifter in 3 though, I don't notice that problem... also like Herc mentioned I feel it saves wear on the tranny.

Re: question - 06/15/07 08:26 AM

Okay so its a better idea to drive in 3rd?

And as far as all the dings and whistles. The Dic should read low fuel 1st. Then the little gas light on the Hud, and after it gets really low I should get a little light by the gas meter on the speedometer?

Re: question - 06/15/07 08:48 AM

The HUD won't register low fuel until the light on the dash illuminates.