FWI, CAI, Open Cone??

Posted by: nad

FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 12:31 PM

What's better (more hp, better sound, etc.) FWI? CAI? Open cone?? An open cone sounds like it's the easiest, since i'm no mechanic, but I don't wanna waste my money if it's not gonna do any good.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 01:04 PM

I prefer a home made CAI with 9" cone.

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 01:25 PM

See, I'm not real good with cars, so I'd be afraid to do a home made one. frown
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 02:32 PM

Go to www.pfyc.com. They have a listing of CAI and FWI kits. Parts store would have

Here is my run down
Open cone - Cheapest but draws in hot engine air.
CAI kits - shroud surrounding cone. Little protection from engine compartment air. My favorite.
FWI – Best for HP. Small possibility of drawing in water into engine if driving through deep water.

I recommend getting a CAI kit. Not just because it is my favorite but they have instructions on how to install since you are concerned about working on the car. Cones won’t have instructions. Also less risky than the FWI.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 02:43 PM

Get a cone and build a box around it. Cut some cardboard into the right shape. Attach Reflectix to both sides of the cardboard. Use foil tape to tape it all together. I used three pcs of cardboard, and just layed a couple of layers of reflectix down the fenderwell and across the bottom. The three pcs form the side, back and top. Use foil tape to seal it all up from the inside before securing the top.
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 03:11 PM

I had some spare duct insulation material that looks like Reflectix but thicker. I placed it around the inlet tube. Just for the heck of it as I know it won't do much.
Posted by: InitialDGP

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 10:47 PM

I will post for the FWI like usual, I love it. Best bang for buck with the slight risk of sucking water up if your not careful.

The one problem I have had with the FWI is the clamps that come with it are flimsy and ive already broken 2 of them from switching the fwi to an open cone in the rain and back again.

The CAI is a great choice as well if you dont like working on your car alot
Posted by: UMfan

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/16/05 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:

The CAI is a great choice as well if you dont like working on your car alot
Or if you live in Oregon. wink

Re: FWI, CAI, Open Cone?? - 01/17/05 01:44 AM

Ok, thanks, you guys have been a lot of help to me.