Rear view mirror replacement

Posted by: AustinGTP

Rear view mirror replacement - 07/16/07 10:52 PM

The liquid level in my rv mirror went down over the past couple of days, looks kinda weird when it does that.
I was going to call the dealer today, but didn't have time.
Anyone know how much a new one cost? The electrochromatic model. No compass, no temp.
Posted by: Arcxnus

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 07/16/07 11:05 PM

Mine did that, and iirc, it was expensive enough for us not to get one. Ed sells them for 90ish last I checked, so they're probably pretty expensive from the dealer.

All the fluid leaked out of mine, got all over the dash, and it got impossible to see out of.
Posted by: northtnguy

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 07/19/07 12:38 AM

I got mine from Ed. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was much, much cheaper than a dearlership.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 07/19/07 01:27 AM

GM Parts Direct's alternate catalog shows an Auto Day/Night mirror 97-00, part# 10277770 for $136.99 (GM LIST: $223.25) Ebay or Ed Morad would be your best bet.. wink
Posted by: 2000_Redfire_GTP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
The liquid level in my rv mirror went down over the past couple of days, looks kinda weird when it does that.
This happened to my rear view mirror as well. Can the rv mirror from the 2001-2002 Grand Prix be installed in the 2000? I know the Onstar would not work but I'd like to get the compass feature to work if possible.
Posted by: Kev-GTP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 02:17 AM

One of my buddies GP has done that and he said that he needs to get it fixed because the fluid can leak and disolve some of the plastic in the car. Not cool.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 08:32 AM

I would assume all of the 97-03's are the same and are interchangable.

I've got a couple of rags that I throw over the shifter and console to catch anything if it leaks.
Wierd thing is, it's kinda alive. The liquid moves around in the mirror. Not fast enough to see it move, but I'll park the car and the liquid will be sitting at the bottom of the mirror, get in the next day, or when I leave from work and some of the liquid has moved to the center of the mirror.
Almost everytime I get in the car it's in a different position.
Posted by: Chunkee

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 09:06 AM

ewww, I never knew that about the mirrors.

I would just pick up an aftermarket new one with auto shifting for 40 bucks personally.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 09:53 AM

geez...I never even knew they had liquid inside of them...does that include my manual switching model?
Posted by: theone2043

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 09:57 AM

no only the auto
Posted by: 2000_Redfire_GTP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 08/02/07 10:11 AM

Quote:
I would assume all of the 97-03's are the same and are interchangable.
I thought 2001 was the first year they added the Onstar / temp / compass rv mirror so I was concerned that the wiring might be different than the 2000 mirror.
Posted by: 98 gtp girl

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/17/08 11:50 PM

not trying to bring back an old post but my rv mirror has a line across the middle and the upper portion is darker then bottom. i know in the beginning i was using it to tint out the light from headlights (guess it tints)? but now i have tinted windows and leave it off..is it liquid in mine or what? what do you suggest i do?
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/18/08 12:35 AM

there is a liquid in there, and its NASTY stuff. Tore my center console to hell when it landed on the plastic. Ate right through it, and i had to replace the platic pieces.

I bought a cheapo mirror at autozone. But then my system rattled it off. So now i dont even have one

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/19/08 08:11 PM

can you replace them with the digital ones? should i get rid of mine?
Posted by: '01 GT

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/19/08 08:55 PM

you can just buy one from Ed.
Posted by: Dre da GP man

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/19/08 10:24 PM

Quote:
I was going to call the dealer today, but didn't have time.
Anyone know how much a new one cost? The electrochromatic model. No compass, no temp.
The dealership told me one time that it was 250 dollars and I walked out the door. I bought mine online from ebay for 40.00 dollars. This was like 2 years ago.
Posted by: BLEWGTP

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/20/08 11:14 AM

i have one i think laying around i have to see what all is on it like compass onstar etc....i know it is auto dimming though..i could probably let that go if someone is interested

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/21/08 10:27 PM

isn't the auto dimming the mirror that has liquid in it? mine has the auto button on it is it the same thing?

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/23/08 09:41 PM

anybody???

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/23/08 10:12 PM

Yes the auto dimming mirrors have liquid in them. If you're worried about it leaking, you can replace it with a manual one. There's a couple of them on Ebay: RV Mirrors
Posted by: palsut

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/23/08 11:45 PM

That's weird. My rear mirror don't have like that. My models are from 2001 and 2003. I guess GTP/GT have cool stuffs than SE model wink
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/24/08 09:43 AM

Yes, that is the point of getting a GT instead of an SE... HUD, digital DIC, etc.

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/24/08 10:30 AM

^^^What he said.. laugh
Posted by: palsut

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/24/08 10:33 AM

lol very funny... I don't really need HUD, DIC or 3800 engine. wink

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/25/08 06:17 PM

ok thank you all
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: Rear view mirror replacement - 10/25/08 08:38 PM

mine doesnt have the stuff in it and mines a gt