Alternator died...

Posted by: lonezergling

Alternator died... - 06/08/07 10:40 PM

Yeah, so sometime last night between the 1 mile drive from my house to my Dad's shop to keep my car incase it hailed, my alternator suicided and took my battery with it.

Didn't find out until I tried to move it this morning.

Jumped ut, let it run for half an hour, shut it off and tried to start again right away, nothing but a click.

Weent to Advanced with my batt and alt. Sais the batt was gone. Then they came back and said my Alt was more than dead and most likely killed my batt.

SO! New batt and alt today.

Not I don't need to polish it!

$193 + 3 hours of my (miniscule) free time.
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: Alternator died... - 06/08/07 10:58 PM

3 hours? Did you run a marathon in the middle of it? wink
Posted by: RooK

Re: Alternator died... - 06/08/07 11:00 PM

Well, the alternator has been bad for some time if the battery was dead. Batteries can be drained low several times and bounce back, after a few times though, it kills them.
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: Alternator died... - 06/08/07 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Well, the alternator has been bad for some time if the battery was dead. Batteries can be drained low several times and bounce back, after a few times though, it kills them.
Yup, thankfully with my ALT, I found it bad before that had happened, ran 3 days on just the batt alone
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Alternator died... - 06/09/07 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
3 hours? Did you run a marathon in the middle of it? wink
lol... i was going to say something.
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Alternator died... - 06/09/07 05:30 PM

Maybe he meant from time he went to get in the car and it didn't go to the time he ran to the store, hooked up everything, and fired it up!
Posted by: lonezergling

Re: Alternator died... - 06/09/07 05:52 PM

It took 3 hours from starting the removal of the Alt/Batt. to getting to the parts store, then getting back and getting it installed.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Alternator died... - 06/09/07 06:16 PM

Three hours isn't so bad; I once had to have an alternator shipped overnight from Rhode Island, because no one had it in stock... hammer