battery light

Posted by: snowrider900

battery light - 05/12/07 11:07 PM

my battery light went on today, then went off, then came back on all stop and go driving, then got on the highway at 65 it went off then on side streets stayed off, backed it into the garage, still off, then shut it off and restarted, came back on...so what are your thoughts..alt or battery?, has anyone had this problem??
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: battery light - 05/12/07 11:10 PM

Alternator most likely. Might go out completely within the week!
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 12:42 AM

Chico is selling some nice polished Alts by the way!
Posted by: Chico

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 01:22 AM

Let me clear this up I'm not selling polished alt. but I will polish your alt. ,best advise buy a rebuilt from autozone send it to me for polishing and your good to go .Chico.
Posted by: jjcom

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 05:53 PM

Check all your connections before you go and spend the money on an alternator. Don't want to get a new one, just to have the light come on again and find a corroded ground.

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 07:07 PM

just had the alt checked at auto zone(on the car) and its only putting out 8 amps banghead
Posted by: D

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 07:30 PM

Yup that would do it, just buya new one when youa re there.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snowrider900:
just had the alt checked at auto zone(on the car) and its only putting out 8 amps banghead
Be sure to get the battery checked out as well; I've seen them become sulfated due to alternator/battery drain problems. smile
Posted by: Fiin

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 09:49 PM

^^ X2

I had to drive my truck about 90km on a dieing alternator, by the time I got it back home it had done enough to cook both my batteries as well.

Re: battery light - 05/13/07 10:00 PM

they checked the battery at the same time, it was good..bad part is i wont have the money till Thursday, as i started a new job and have to wait a week to get the first check ( a new alt was not in the budget) frown

Re: battery light - 05/17/07 11:56 PM

well got the new alt on today, went from sunday to today, think the battery's fried?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: battery light - 05/18/07 07:49 AM

Did you ever put the battery on a charger and get a good charge put on it? Or did you just slap the new alternator on and go?

If you never put the battery on a charger you might not be driving the car long enough to properly charge the battery.

If your battery is not a maintenance free I'd check the electrolyte level and put the battery on a charger overnight and then see what happens.

Plus if your battery is over three years old and you drained it a couple of times from the bad alternator your battery just might be done.