Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps

Posted by: TastyBake

Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/10/06 06:20 PM

I've had this problem for a while now.

I noticed when I hit a bump, there is a sqeak noise like sound exactly like an old mattress spring.

It happened shortly after I placed in my U-Bend Delete so I narrowed it down to the exhaust. I though it was my resonator cover and had it removed (the cover). No luck. When I move an exhaust tip around there is no noise. It only occurs when I hit a bump.

Could it be the suspension? Never had suspension problems on my cars before so I can't tell.

Got 110k with stock suspension and exhaust.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/10/06 07:48 PM

110k on the stock suspension parts. I'd say it's your struts or mounts. Either way your way do for a strut change.
Posted by: fastcat

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/10/06 08:58 PM

is the sound coming from the front? If so grease or replace your ball joints. I had the came thing happen with a mustang I had, I replace the struts and mounts and still had the same problem.... Sounded like someone was jumping on an old mattress. Then I bought a grease gun and greased the ball joints and I never heard that sound again.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/13/06 02:12 PM

Truthfully, I don't know where the source of the noise is since I’m inside. It seems to be originating from the in the center but more on the rear passenger side. I tried pushing the car up and down from outside but I hear nothing.

I'll look into greasing the ball joints.

Maybe I have two issues. Seems when I hit bumps, I hear something knocking under the car. Like the exhaust is bouncing around and hitting the undercarriage. It did it just now while I was in a parking lot going 4-5 mph.
Posted by: framos242

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/13/06 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
110k on the stock suspension parts. I'd say it's your struts or mounts. Either way your way do for a strut change.
x2.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/13/06 06:47 PM

The clunking noise check your swaybar endlinks. They are known to break.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/14/06 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
The clunking noise check your swaybar endlinks. They are known to break.
oh, now that HAS to be it!!

It sounds exactly like a broken bar swinging from side to side, hitting itself.

A swaybar breaking known to break?! Wowsers. I'll check under the car tomorrow and report.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/14/06 06:25 AM

The swaybar doesn't break the cheap endlink does.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/14/06 08:30 AM

There have been a couple of swaybars that broke over on ClubGP.
I've notice that they were from "cold" states, that use road salt.
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/14/06 12:21 PM

thats why i love the arizona dry heat here, lol.... dont have to worry about "body cancer" or salt ruining the underside of the car

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 03/14/06 08:03 PM

:p

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 06/05/06 04:53 PM

Not sure if I reported this already but I found out where the squeaky sound was comming from.

One of the exhaust tips is leaning over too much and hitting the rear ground effects when I hit a bump. I can replicate it by swinging the exhaust back and forth.

Midas says its because the U-bend delete hanger I have is not exactly perfect and is causing one tip to move over a little too far.

They tried to fix it for free but they messed it up and shortening its life by moving it around a lot. Now I can hear more drone at lower RPM like its going bad.

I'm looking into a nice, quiet sounding exhaust (EDIT: quiet in the inside cabin. It can sound like whatever outside.) . Maybe just a stock system with corsa tips.

Thoughts?

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 06/05/06 06:48 PM

Ubend hangar is quite a stretch from the tips!

That drone is from the sound reverbing off the rear facia.

You'll have to make some tweaks back there.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 06/06/06 12:33 PM

Yea, didn't make all that much sense to me either. He showed me and I kind and he is sort of correct. The pipe could have just been heated up and bent.

Not sure how I can fix the reverbing issue. Use newer rubber hangers at the rear?
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 06/06/06 01:15 PM

I would say that it is the rubber hangars in the rear. The U-bend hangar is pretty far away from the tips.

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 12/19/06 11:54 PM

After several trips to exhaust shops and a few times being robbed by mechanics claiming it is the ball joints, I still have the problem.

It must be the swaybars. The noise is coming from the rear. Any advice on how to check them out? When I moved them, they looked pretty solid to me.

I've been dealing with this noise TOO LONG!

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 12/20/06 10:13 AM

The noise is actually comming from my rear facia. When I tap it, and I mean tap it, it makes the EXACT same squeaky noise I hear when I am driving.

Just to think, all that times I went to the mechanic and chucked out $$$ just to find out...well no need to repeat myself. Guess I still needed to vent.

Is the facial making this noise because something is loose? Metal is bent inside? Once I get this fixed, then I can officially say "There is nothing wrong with my car."

EDIT: It was still worth the trip to the exhaust shot. They did fix the exhaust drone (under the rear facial) and the exaust tip hitting the rear facial. Only thing left is the facia itself :p

Re: Squeaky Sound When Hitting Bumps - 12/20/06 10:12 PM

Check all your brackets. You may have a broken one