Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control

Posted by: Ryan

Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 12:15 PM

I asked a a week or so ago, about my passenger side being colder than the driver side. I was told that it probably is the blend door motor. Does anyone know a part number for this, or maybe the actual technical name? Blend door motor does not come up in any parts catelog. I can't seem to find a part number.
Posted by: Arcxnus

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 01:08 PM

Who told you that? They're crazy, that's not even a real part. lol

They probably meant blower motor. Try looking that up.
Posted by: Chunkee

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 01:18 PM

The temp actuators are mounted on either side of the heater box; and can be electric or vacuum operated. You can get the number for the correct one from the parts dept of your GM dealer(give them the last 8 digits of your VIN). AC Delco's part# for the actuators: 15-73627

Taken from a post on these very boards when searched for "cold passenger side".
The search function is your friend smile
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 01:32 PM

Yep, I did say that(in a different thread), and here's the thread Ryan's referring to: freon servicing port I would replace that external temp sensor first(if you haven't already done so) then check the A/C system for trouble codes: 97-03 FAQ Scroll down to AustinGTP's post at the bottom. smile

Here's a parts listing for the various actuators, from AC Delco's site: A/C Parts

If the link doesn't work, you can look it up here: Parts Info
Posted by: SlickGTP

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 02:00 PM

There are two different temp actuators for the right and left sides. If one of them is not working correctly, it would cause the issue you are describing.

The actuator looks like it's up under the steering wheel and next to the center console. Fairly easy to get to. You have to pull the trim panel underneath the steering wheel and it should be under and up against where the stereo is.

Here's a pic from the service manual.
[img]http://www.unknownbrewer.com/gallery2/ma..._serialNumber=2[/img]

Oh yeah, if you want a pic of the right side let me know and I'll pull that one out too.

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 06:58 PM

Thanks guys, I tried that diagnostic and am getting codes, but none of them are on the list in that link. I will try and get a new actuator and see if that fixws my problem. My ext temp reads correct temp so I don't think that sensor is the problem. Eventually my driver side will cool down but it takes like 25 min. of driving (which sucks when it's 100 degrees out side and the ride home is only 20 minutes.)
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 07:40 PM

How much do the actuators cost?
I need to replace mine.
Posted by: johnnywholenote

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 07:57 PM

if one side of my dual zone goes to hot all the time but cycling the level from hot to cold a few times fixes it would this likely be a acuator issue?

also please post the right (passenger side diagram)

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 09:47 PM

I would say that it would more than likely be the actuator.

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 09:55 PM

Here's the right side... To get to it you need to take out the Glovebox. Not terribly hard, but a pain nonetheless.

[img]http://www.unknownbrewer.com/gallery2/ma..._serialNumber=2[/img]

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/08/07 11:00 PM

Will replacing these be the fix for air blowing out of every vent, or is this just for the blowing of cold and hot air?

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/09/07 12:44 AM

These control the temp of the air coming out the vents. The left controls the left three vents and the right controls the right two.

As far as how much the vents blow, I'd leave that one up to the blower motor. =D

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/09/07 08:51 AM

My blower motor works fine, it's just blowing out of all of the vents... dash, defrost (windshield), heater (floor) at all times. Kinda like the vent doors aren't operating properly to channel the air in the right direction.

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/09/07 09:45 AM

I had that problem... Turned out that the main vacuum supply line had been severed in the engine bay.

If I remember correctly, one end of the line terminates inside the car in the passenger footwell, over by the center console. The line becomes part of the main wiring harness, comes up under the fusebox, around the back of the firewall to the supercharger right behind the throttle body.

I can get pics later if you would like...

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/09/07 12:45 PM

If you don't mind posting the pics, please do. I'm hoping to be able to solve my issue.

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/09/07 01:39 PM

Talk about a thread hijacking... crazy

Anyhow, here are the pics.

1st is the vacuum tank. The line you will probably be interested in is the black one.
[img]http://www.unknownbrewer.com/gallery2/ma..._serialNumber=1[/img]

2nd is same thing but further back. You're going to have to pull the trim piece down and possibly move the carpet a little.

3rd is the vacuum line where it dips under the fusebox. It's the one that is going over the wires. This, incidently, is where I had to splice a new piece of tubing in. You can see the beginning of the splice right behind the windshield washer bottle.

To see where the vacuum hose goes into the wiring harness, you will have to lift up on the fusebox to see underneath it.

Re: Blend door motor for Dual zone climate control - 08/21/07 10:15 AM

I replaced the driver side temp actuator. That was a pain in the butt. It made the driver side a little cooler but still not as cold as the passenger side. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer now my ext temp sensor is acting up. I don't see how that would cause one side colder than the other. If anyone is thinking about changing this part get it from here Its a GM only part. GM wants over $200 for it. This place will sell you one for $100. I guess they get them wholesale from GM or something.