Low Coolant Light (Always On)

Posted by: rocketman

Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/03/08 11:11 PM

Within the past week, my Low Coolant Light has started to come on as soon as I start my '98 GP, and it stays on. After reading the following additional info, thanks in advance for any thoughts on why this might be happening.

Here's the additional info.

I got a new daily driver, so the car has been sitting a lot over the past 4 or so months.

I installed a new Optima Red Top battery within the past month.

I installed new radiator hoses, and serviced the cooling system within the past year.

No cooling system leaks, and the fluid level is fine.

This is a high mileage car, but I have maintained it very well.

No trouble codes are being thrown.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/03/08 11:17 PM

Try removing and cleaning the Low Coolant Level Sensor in the radiator first. If the light doesn't stay out, replace the sensor.
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/03/08 11:36 PM

Mine has being doing this for months. Cleaned twice.
It is just constantly on now. And I didn't want to spend $60 for the stupid sensor. I just deal with it until I get one from Ed or something.
Posted by: palsut

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/03/08 11:44 PM

Any write-up for how to remove job? My winter beater have been doing that. It is weird. When I brought winter beater in April 2008. It was very cold outside with snow around. The low coolant light went on. In summer season, the light is gone. Now, the winter is back so the light is back too. :rolleyes:

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/03/08 11:49 PM

Not sure if there is a write up or not, but there is a metal clip, like a U shape. Take that off and pull the sensor out. It will be snug, has two o-rings on it to help keep the coolant form coming out.

Take the headlight out, more access. Here is a pic of me using plumbers pliers to get it back in, with the new bigger orings.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/04/08 12:00 AM

Mine has been on for years. I just ignore it.

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/04/08 12:07 AM

Okay, is that from pass. side?

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/04/08 12:10 AM

Yup.
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/04/08 04:05 PM

I don't have any experience with this issue, but one thing that came to mind: Did you remember to bleed the air out?
Posted by: The Guz

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/05/08 03:45 PM

This is the most common picture floating around. The sensor is on the passenger side of the radiator. I had to clean mine once since the coolant gumed up on the terminals. It happened again when I changed my LIM gastkets. I would just a get a new one.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/07/08 01:14 PM

Mine's on too. The most annoying thing is people in my car telling me my coolant is low.
... "and your ABS light is on. and what does 'trac off' mean?"

gotta be a way to spoof it.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/08/08 10:59 AM

mine goes off and on all the time...but since the car rarely gets over 180 then I know there is no way the coolant is really low (not to mention checking the radiator multiple times)
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/08/08 11:04 AM

Aside from a gummed up/bad sensor or low coolant level, the only other things that would make the light stay on would be a short to ground in the yellow/blk wire, or a bad gauge cluster.
Posted by: quark_man

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/08/08 03:53 PM

I pulled the connector off the damn sensor, buahahahaha! Now it can rot.
Posted by: rocketman

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/08/08 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm wondering if maybe the sensor got gummed up because the car has been sitting so much. I really need to drive it at least once a week I think, just to keep the gremlins away.

Re: Low Coolant Light (Always On) - 12/13/08 05:52 PM

I just unhook the wire from THE GUZ's picture. Then I start the car. It is gone. I'm thinking keep it unhook for not deal stupid light on forever. I normally check engine sometimes like oil, engine coolant, brake, power steering and etc. stuffs. I should be fine I guess.