A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28

Posted by: fresh

A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 12:14 AM

My 1998 GTP is slightly modded it has a thrasher CAI, with the 3.4 S/C pulley+ PCM, A Custom Straight back exhaust i made my self (sound wicked), a 180 t-stat new plugs and wires,and new wheels and tires all around 265/35 on 16" polished aluminum.Now my friend has a 1999 camaro z28 with a ls1 stock except new wheels and tires but there only 240/40 on 16" (not quite as wide as mine), polished aluminum, and new dual exhaust except no headers, Iam not sure how much power iam making out of my GTP but it's crazy compaired to it when it was stock, My guess is around 300whp and 355flbtq to the wheel. Who would win?
Posted by: Chico

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 06:22 AM

Where are you getting your hp estimates from your mods i can see listed you might be a bit optomistic to say the least , have you 1/4 miled your car ? my guess is mid to high 14's which would put you pretty close with the Z now don't get me wrong you have plenty of potential and with some further performance mods your well on the way to 13's i would suggest headers, rockers, lsi throttle body in that order.
Posted by: why2kmax

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 10:11 AM

LS1 z28s are mid-low 13 second cars stock. Just a few mods and you can hit high 12s..

Unless you are wildly modified and he is bone stock and cant drive I dont see you winning. No offense but LS1 Fbodys are pretty quick
Posted by: blown_gp

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 10:20 AM

Chico is correct, on one thing, you sound a little optimistic, I would guess that you are probably pushing 250 to 260 FWHP (remember stock GTP`s run around 190 FWHP wich is not too shabby to begin with, now if that Z is manual then I would say that it really depends how good of a driver your friend is (proper launch and so on) but as far as 1/4 mile times, I think that chico might be understimating the GTP as I have seen stock GTP`s pulling high 14`s, with your mods (and assuming that you are not getting any KR) I wouldn`t be surpised if you are mid to low 14 and maybe a high 13, depending on your launch, but it would definatelly be a close race.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 04:00 PM

We raced to day at noon with a couple of friends there, he won but only by a car and a 1/2 length, i got a really good launch and so did he, i was so sure i had him but he just kept on kreeping farther away, we raced farther than a 1/4 mile we both hit about 130 cause we race from a stop sign to a bridge and theres only enough room for one car so i had to get behind him, well race again when i get a 3.0 pulley rockers+cam, possibly no cat and i ordered headers so i think i ll get him next time. Hey thanks for you input but i got to go race my friends 4.6 Mustang GT, he won't shut the hell up about how fast it is and how many races he's won.
Posted by: jvojr

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 04:55 PM

Check into the mods I've done. I've thrashed a fair share of LS1's. Down low and up high. My car is running stronger now than when I first put on the mods. It keeps getting better. There's been a lot of heated discussion with regard to LS1 Camaros and TA's. With my mods, I've only been able to beat automatic trans LS1's. 6spd Camaros and WS6 TA's with intake and exhaust work are(I'm sorry to say), virtually unbeatable at any speed. You would need to be well into the twelves to put up a good fight. However, you do have a good shot at nailing that Mustang, especially if it's stock and an automatic) 5spd and an exhaust are a little tougher. I hope I didn't bum you out. Let us know what happened with the stang. Put some race gas in before you go at it.
Posted by: 4 T 8 states

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fresh:
We raced to day at noon with a couple of friends there, he won but only by a car and a 1/2 length, i got a really good launch and so did he, i was so sure i had him but he just kept on kreeping farther away, we raced farther than a 1/4 mile we both hit about 130 cause we race from a stop sign t
he's won.
what c.r. or s.r. did you guys race at cause ive been stayin at livonia MI. and i was lookin for some good racin cause i heard it was by the airport by 12th ave off the big road
darthvader hammer

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 10:34 PM

We live in armada it's a redneck town, we are like the only two that have cars and not trucks, so it's hard to find a good race as well, i can only race my friends cause there the only ones who have cars. Oh yeah my friend with the mustang raced me and i smoked him by at least a good 5 car lengths, his was an automatic like the Z28

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 10:56 PM

My other friend chris has a 1997 grand cherokee special edition with a 5.9Lt ( he also thought it was supercharged like mine,comes to find out he dosent know what hes talking about) in it with 102,000 miles. ive raced him in the past and i won, it was great to cause he had his girlfriend in the car and he was trying to look like a bad ass, he asked me to race i wasent even thinking about racing at the time, i beat him by a good 5 car lengths but now he claims that when we raced he was only running on 7 cylinders cause one of his spark plugs was cracked, and he also claims that the spark plugs and wires were the original from 1997, and he claims that same day ( remember we live in the middle of no where in a redneck town)he dyno tested it and and he gained an extra 50hp to the wheel and now he wants a rematch. Ithink he's just pissed of that his girlfriend had to watch him lose. He knows what ive done to my GTP but he just wont listen, he's so confident that he wants to bet 50$ cash, looks like ill be getting some free gas money for the next couple of weeks. were going to race AGAIN tomorrow at noon, hopefulley he'll listen to me this time!
Posted by: zachd

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 10:56 PM

well fresh had you raced a real V8 ie one with a manual you would have had an even better run for your money. The only time a gm automatic is good is it if is modified. Stock they suck. Ford automatics are even worse in the mustang. But my guess is you would beat a bone stock 5 spd 4.6 as well. However i think right driver the 6spd ls1 would have done more than 1.5 car lengths...i have driven all of the above cars in multiple trims and i know what all is cable of.

Now here is a race for you. Find someone with 04 neon srt4 wiht stage one and cold air and see how well you fare..

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 11:25 PM

I live in the middle of no where so about the only place i can find a srt-4 is at the dealer ship, just playin i'll find one willing to race and i'll let you know what went down, keep in mind i just got this car about a month ago and ive spent like $2 grand in mods so i'll do even more mods in this next month as soon as my parts come in the mail, i used to drive a plymouth sundance 2.2lt with 93hp so iam still getting used to my GTP and if you read my other post you'll see i ordered cam, rockers, headers,trans+oil cooler, and a 3.0 pulley another 800 bucks, so ill probably beat an srt-4

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 11:27 PM

My GTP is an automatic so if i had raced a manual ls1 i deffinetly would of gotten smoked.
Posted by: anderr09

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 11:40 PM

my brother owns a 1995 Z28. the thing's all power. GTPs are fast but i'd have to say the american muscle would win.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/02/04 11:46 PM

Yeah if you read my post it did win but only by 1 1/2 car lengths.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 03:47 AM

Quote:
800 bucks, so ill probably beat an srt-4
Well for 1600 or so dollars a srt will dyno approx 270 wh and about 320 ftlbs. and run a mid 12 second on streets and low on slicks......so you must be running really strong... stock teh car has 30 more whp than our gtp's and is only 600 lbs lighter, hence the fastest stock car under 20k and pretty much under 30k. not to diss on gp's i love them to death and own one but when it comes to claims on a race you gotta know what you got...your buddy with the jeep....hahah jeep in a race hahahhaha....thats like an 03 eclipse vs a mustang 4.6 5spd....or a grand prix se......for that matter.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 06:21 PM

Yeah but once i get my other mods, i'll probably be making about 290hp to the wheel and 370ftlb torque now iam making about 260-265 and 315ftlbs torque to the wheel and that srt-4 is only making with those upgrades probably 240-260 to the wheel plus ive dropped about 250 lbs out of my car and my tred on my wheel s is extremely wide 265/35 so dont count me out, the srt-4 only has 205/50 so i'll get the better jump it would be a close race i bet! Iam not dissin a srt-4 there fast but my GTP is faster, ive seen a few with those upgrades racing at the track and some with even more upgrades. I think it would be a good race, but i would win!

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
Quote:
[b] 800 bucks, so ill probably beat an srt-4
Well for 1600 or so dollars a srt will dyno approx 270 wh and about 320 ftlbs. and run a mid 12 second on streets and low on slicks......so you must be running really strong... stock teh car has 30 more whp than our gtp's and is only 600 lbs lighter, hence the fastest stock car under 20k and pretty much under 30k. not to diss on gp's i love them to death and own one but when it comes to claims on a race you gotta know what you got...your buddy with the jeep....hahah jeep in a race hahahhaha....thats like an 03 eclipse vs a mustang 4.6 5spd....or a grand prix se......for that matter. [/b]
those little neons that dam fast eek dam it.... i may need a new hammer

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 07:42 PM

Why dont you go out and buy a used GTP with like 50,000 miles on it for 8000? then throw about another 3000 in mods and you'll have an even faster car than a srt-4
Posted by: GdGTP

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 08:50 PM

my car's much faster than the fastest SRT-4 that I've raced (at the track)...Also, I beat 3 Z28's in one night...(mid 90's)...one had quad borla exhaust like the Vettes WITH gears...

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 09:19 PM

IM not DISSIN. What are you guys runngin in the 1/8th and or quarter???? I know it takes a lot for our cars to get into the 12's compared to them> i wouldnt own one personally y? BEcause there are 3 in my town i can drive if i want to. But my car is gonna be a used GTP with more than 3k in mods trust me not dissin. Its just like saying you raced a gsxr1300 and hung with him.........or a fat lady ran a mile in 4 minutes.......you get the point?

FYI srt 4 with stage 1 and cold air dynoed at 262 fwhp and 330 fwtrq.
Posted by: BlownPrix

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 09:31 PM

Lets put it this way guys, I have a good friend with an SRT-4. He has a custom exhaust (cat back), boost 2 psi more, and a 75hp NX kit. The car on the dyno with all this made 334hp and 410 lb-ft. Its unbelieveable! It torque steers on the dyno. In order to run at the track it requires new axles and an LSD to handle the torque.

As far as the Z28 goes a LT1 should be light work with a few mods to a GTP. A LS1 is more potent. My friens Russ has a 2002 Z28. All that is done is a SLP Air Lid and Under Hood Ram Air, and the car ran 13.01 @ 112.4mph. That MPH is extremely fast for a nearly stock car.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 10:14 PM

Thank you blown prix. I did a little math. a 13.8 in the quarter is roughly a 9.02 in teh 1/8th. My buddies SRT runs consistent 8.12 with stock clutch driveaxles and no lsd (2003) no spray either. He is only pushing abotu 275 horse.....that is with slicks.....to give you an idea he runs a 8.67 with street tires and a easy lauch. that is roughly a 13.4. still slightly ahead and for dollars less on the mod list....imports are kickin our ass these days......

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 11:35 PM

Well i went to a performance shop (ricks aftermarket performance, my uncle owns) yesterday and we added headers, cam rockers, port and polished intake and bored intake out got a few ponies on the dyno for that and instead of the 3.0 puley we decided to go with the 2.4 pulley and that was a bitch to get on. We had to grind the teeth down on the s/c so it would fit and we put a inner cooler and that was a bitch also. Now iam getting like 13mpg that sucks hopefully it will get better. We decided to put all new pistons, bearings and no cat just a custom down pipe my uncle made. It dynoed at 368whp and 423ftlbs torque. If any one of my friends wants to race then bring it! My 1/4 mile is 9.6 at 134mph.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 11:42 PM

Quote:
Well i went to a performance shop (ricks aftermarket performance, my uncle owns) yesterday and we added headers, cam rockers, port and polished intake and bored intake out got a few ponies on the dyno for that and instead of the 3.0 puley we decided to go with the 2.4 pulley and that was a bitch to get on. We had to grind the teeth down on the s/c so it would fit and we put a inner cooler and that was a bitch also. Now iam getting like 13mpg that sucks hopefully it will get better. We decided to put all new pistons, bearings and no cat just a custom down pipe my uncle made. It dynoed at 368whp and 423ftlbs torque. If any one of my friends wants to race then bring it! My 1/4 mile is 9.6 at 134mph.
Cool a 2.4" pulley from where? Bet that supercharger is running really hot now. What about the new injectors? The tranny holding up ok? Dyno Sheets and time slips please. Hardly doubt you broke 10's with only 368 fwhp and did all these mods practically over nite and had time to drag it. FYI the intense car with 650 horse and drastic weight reducts is running a 10.38 @ 136 with a 1.65 60 time. so your numbers arent in line at all.....ill be the first to call a BS not to bash on you just 2+2doesnt equal 10

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/03/04 11:55 PM

FYI
1997-2004 Corvette Twin Turbo LS1, ZO6
427 CID 725 BHP / 650 lbs-ft of torque

0-60 MPH 3.2 seconds with street tires
1/4 mile 9.50 @ 145 MPH with street tires

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 06:42 AM

It`s starting to stink around here...

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 07:01 AM

I don't Know who your trying to impress Fresh but last time I looked this wasn't the who can BS the best board ,it took me several months to build a strong perfomer and i've just broken into the 13's i havn't run on nos yet it erks me to listen to this type of silly bragging,and gdgtp you have been told your mods don't support a decent performance your knock ratio with a 3.25 and without supporting mods would be lucky to run in the 15's i also notice you never did install your cam or was that just another daydream i suggest you do your homework Boyo.
Posted by: Layoric

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 08:07 AM

I agree with Chico. Besides, I think Intense Racing would just give up if you could run a 9.6 at 134mph
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 08:15 AM

According to the sales brochure the SRT-4 comes standard with the quaife lsd.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
According to the sales brochure the SRT-4 comes standard with the quaife lsd.
2003 did not have a LSD

IN 04 they put a lil bit bigger injectors and a LSD...

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 04:01 PM

Hey who wants to race thats all i have TO SAY! If you dont believe me then let me show you whats under my hood oh thats right i cant you know why because no one is capable of being worthy of me and my GTP. You guys go ahead and sniff that bull shit because thats all you guys seem to do because you dont know shit about cars apparently. Iam sorry that your all jealous that i have the worlds fastest GTP and not even a srt-4 with 300hp could stand up to me so Peace

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 04:42 PM

Please contact Intense racing. Im sure they would be more than willing to sponser the worlds fastest grand prix. Oh wait they already do. Can we get dyno charts and timeslips please?? Then we will know that we are not worthy.....

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 06:15 PM

the worlds fastest GTP accomplished in 2 days, BS bro. lol

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 06:26 PM

Quote:
Hey who wants to race thats all i have TO SAY! If you dont believe me then let me show you whats under my hood oh thats right i cant you know why because no one is capable of being worthy of me and my GTP. You guys go ahead and sniff that bull shit because thats all you guys seem to do because you dont know shit about cars apparently. Iam sorry that your all jealous that i have the worlds fastest GTP and not even a srt-4 with 300hp could stand up to me so Peace
I believe your on the wrong board your looking for koo-koo's anonymous.
Posted by: green_kidd

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 07:14 PM

I'm all for a highly modded GP, but I think you should back it up by providing some timeslips, pictures or something so we can see for ourselves. Plus, if your car is as sweet as you say it is, you should be showing it off.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by green_kidd:
I'm all for a highly modded GP, but I think you should back it up by providing some timeslips, pictures or something so we can see for ourselves. Plus, if your car is as sweet as you say it is, you should be showing it off.
DING DING DING. we have a winnder. jonny tell em what they one......well bob over in the right corner with the big boobed bimbo we have nothing more than a 9.6 1/4 grand prix at 22 miles and hours woooo hooooo

Hammer hammer Hammer hammer
Posted by: crashGT

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 07:41 PM

hahah fresh thats hilarious...thats the funniest thing ive read all day...hahaha lol

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/04/04 09:28 PM

I think he meant 9.6 in the 1/8th mile hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha with a 3.3 60'

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
I don't Know who your trying to impress Fresh but last time I looked this wasn't the who can BS the best board ,it took me several months to build a strong perfomer and i've just broken into the 13's i havn't run on nos yet it erks me to listen to this type of silly bragging,and gdgtp you have been told your mods don't support a decent performance your knock ratio with a 3.25 and without supporting mods would be lucky to run in the 15's i also notice you never did install your cam or was that just another daydream i suggest you do your homework Boyo.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 06:05 PM

thank you chico... i read all your posts along with zachd, you both are direct and to the point bullsh** not included.

LONG LIVE THE CHICOMOBILE AND THE Z-MOBILE and there drivers cheers devilsmile
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 06:57 PM

There were srt-4s offered as an 03?

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
There were srt-4s offered as an 03?
are these the neons that have nostrils on the hood???

mad

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 08:13 PM

OK I MISLED you guys a little and i was trying to see how pissed off i could get you guys and it seemed to work by reading the post. All i have is the first list of mods on my gtp that i posted when i raced the z28, I have no idea who would believe that shit that i wrote but it was funny and i couldnt stop! WHY DOESNT ANYONE TALK ABOUT THEIR RACES? I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHO EVER RACED THE SRT-4, WHAT MODS TO BOTH VECHICLES!

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 08:14 PM

YES THE TRUTH HAS BEEN REVEALED!

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 08:51 PM

NO PROBLEM,,FRESH.... JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT MISS THE SCHOOL BUS ON MONDAY..AND APOLOGISE TO YOUR MOM SO I DONT HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR ANTICS AFTER I BANG HER HARD..OK.. cheers mad OK.. THANK YOU..SEE YOU NEXT SEMESTER wink

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 09:47 PM

OK no joke. to the point 03 srt4 had no lsd and had a smaller injector. 04 They upd the injector and added lsd. the reason for the upgrade injector from factory is because everyone was buying the stage 1 kit and it came with new injectors and mopar grabs the aftermarket so they just included it. As for the mods running slicks (not sure what size) a srt4 with proper launch and no lsd stage 2 272 horse will run a 8.12. with lsd and stage one on street tires you can pull a 8.6-8.7 but it is greatly dependant on the driver as with any FWD manual car. Like i said you have to be very quick to run with them its said because they are so quick but its the truth.

As for the open front end on the SRT is to let in air on the air-air intercooler, the nostril ducts air behind the motor and past the turbo. its not ram air or anything just a fresh air intake.

Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28 - 08/05/04 09:47 PM

notontopic