What to do?

Posted by: Tooon

What to do? - 01/10/06 09:42 AM

Ok so I'm back from my trip, and I have $1583 to spend on my car. Problem is I don't know what I should do. I either want an LSD or a full exhaust system (from the headers all the way back to mufflers). Could use yall guys and gals help to make this easier lol. cheers

Thanks
Chris
Posted by: ohgrfreak

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 10:03 AM

I don't know how you drive your car, so I can't suggest a LSD. I would personally get the exhaust, I don't really drive that hard to justify getting an LSD, but I'd love the growl of a new exhaust.
Posted by: framos242

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 10:37 AM

I'd go with the exhaust as well.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 10:48 AM

Don't waste your money on a catback. LSD is gonna eat up quite abit of that. Here's what I'd do if I had 1500 to spend on my car. Not sure what mods you have now so I'm gonna be generic here.

PCM
3 inch DP
Mufflers (gotta have the growl)
SLP spoiler
3.4 pulley
PEMs
Depending on how much is left over a set of rockers.

smile

Ahh screw the spoiler get the rockers hammer

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 11:34 AM

Think he has his heart set on headers.
Posted by: vmschumacher

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 01:11 PM

Full exhaust, but not a kit. Get some good mufflers and tips and have someone make the system. I had my cat-back (Flowmaster Hushpower, SilverLine tips, 2.5 piping throughout, all mandrel bent) made for half the price of any complete kit. Get a reputable but lower cost shop.

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 02:15 PM

The rest of the money saved can be used for something else or saved for the nest big project you want...

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 02:43 PM

I still like my plan the best wink most bang for the buck hammer

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Don't waste your money on a catback. LSD is gonna eat up quite abit of that. Here's what I'd do if I had 1500 to spend on my car. Not sure what mods you have now so I'm gonna be generic here.

PCM
3 inch DP
Mufflers (gotta have the growl)
SLP spoiler
3.4 pulley
PEMs
Depending on how much is left over a set of rockers.

smile

Ahh screw the spoiler get the rockers devilsmile
Posted by: crimpton

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 09:13 PM

I thought you had an SE?

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 09:27 PM

Headers would be nice but they are damn expensive. You can do so much more with that money.

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 10:07 PM

Quote:
Headers would be nice but they are damn expensive. You can do so much more with that money.
Yea they are expensive in fact it would probably take my entire $1500 to buy and install them lol, but I think its worth it. crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
I thought you had an SE?
Nope I have a green gtp coupe devilsmile

Re: What to do? - 01/10/06 11:20 PM

Quote:
I'm with Herc.

With the minimal mods you will be dealing with, Headers will look good, but you won't feel anything in the ass dyno, because it's quite possible you will lose a bit out of the bottom end.
Headers increase flow so much, that you actually lose boost. You would gain a few ponies at the top of your power band but you don't REALLY start gaining from headers until you have mods that support a 3.25 pulley, or smaller. If you are planning for the future headers would be the way to go, but if you want to make your $1500 make you go fast now, I would consider other bolt ons.... PEM's are bolt in, no fabricating required, and would be quite sufficient for the mods you have in mind.

Don't forget a CAI, and some heat protection for the Throttle Body. If you still have the U-bend, get rid of it.
Posted by: Chico

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 06:33 AM

If your heart is set on headers the best route for tha a mount you have to spend would be S&S headers ,hi-flow cat and a custom built cat back to Magnaflow muffs ,this is about the nicest sounding system I've heard on a GP ,of course there are other mods probably better at your point but exaust mods will allow you to take better advantage of future mods,as far as the stock cat back it's ok but I would go to at least a 2 1/2" custom with a better rear Y design ,a good exaust shop should be able to hook you up for about $500.Chico.

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 10:13 AM

Quote:

With the minimal mods you will be dealing with, Headers will look good, but you won't feel anything in the ass dyno, because it's quite possible you will lose a bit out of the bottom end.
Headers increase flow so much, that you actually lose boost. You would gain a few ponies at the top of your power band but you don't REALLY start gaining from headers until you have mods that support a 3.25 pulley, or smaller. If you are planning for the future headers would be the way to go, but if you want to make your $1500 make you go fast now, I would consider other bolt ons.... PEM's are bolt in, no fabricating required, and would be quite sufficient for the mods you have in mind.

Don't forget a CAI, and some heat protection for the Throttle Body. If you still have the U-bend, get rid of it.
Well since you put it that way. What i had planned in my mind was to get the headers with a high flow cat to free up the exhaust but leave the rest stock because I don't like loud exhuasts at all. (If that sounds like a bad idea I would like to know) Then begin to save money and get the list of things Herc posted I should get because I will be able to save up and install those things faster because they are cheaper. So basicly I would get the headers now then in a few months get the PCM, 3.4 pulley, and the PEMs. (Sry to sound stupid but what exactly are PEMs?) and i already have a Thrasher CAI. Does that sound like a good plan or should I do what yall have been saying because it would be better? I would just like to have the headers because the cost so much and I know if I spend the money else were then its gonna take me a good while to save back up to $1500 to be able to afford the headers again.
cheers
Thanks
Chris

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tooon:
(Sry to sound stupid but what exactly are PEMs?)
cheers
Thanks
Chris
Ported Exhaust Manifolds
There are a few vendors out there, here is one example.
http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2...Product_Count=2

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 11:37 AM

Quote:
Ported Exhaust Manifolds
There are a few vendors out there, here is one example.
http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2...Product_Count=2
So are PEMs just like headers?

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 11:41 AM

Their basically stock exhaust manifolds that have been ported out to allow for more air flow.

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 11:46 AM

So wouldn't headers be better then PEMs?
Posted by: UMfan

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 12:07 PM

Quote:
So wouldn't headers be better then PEMs?
Headers are better, but much more expensive.

I was also told that PEMs are a bit more durable, as headers tend to crack over time.

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 04:01 PM

I've heard of headers cracking, but only if it is made badly. I don't think if I were to order the SLP headers they would crack.
Posted by: 4rsssfed_grandprix98

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 04:27 PM

about your exhaust ideas, the headers with a 3"dp would be good but like chico said you want to have at least 2 1/2 all the way back to the gas tank, and should go around. I would say if you dont want a loud car leave your stock muffs on. If your trying to make your car go fast, I think you would be much more pleased with hercs list he came up with than doing an exhaust job. You could even go with a 3"dp and then custom exhaust, this would free up your exhaust tremendously for what it is now and would probably get you close to the 12's depending on what other mods you put on. I would say tell us what you want to get out of your car and we will be able to find the best most cost effective way to do things

also, side note on the headers, paaalease dont go with SLP, they're junk

Re: What to do? - 01/11/06 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
about your exhaust ideas, the headers with a 3"dp would be good but like chico said you want to have at least 2 1/2 all the way back to the gas tank, and should go around. I would say if you dont want a loud car leave your stock muffs on. If your trying to make your car go fast, I think you would be much more pleased with hercs list he came up with than doing an exhaust job. You could even go with a 3"dp and then custom exhaust, this would free up your exhaust tremendously for what it is now and would probably get you close to the 12's depending on what other mods you put on. I would say tell us what you want to get out of your car and we will be able to find the best most cost effective way to do things

also, side note on the headers, paaalease dont go with SLP, they're junk
I want the car to sounds good but quiet. I want it to go fast but not at the cost of making it so loud. My plan for the car was diong the most expensive thing while i have the money and then getting all the little things done later. It wont take me that long to save up to get the PCM and the other stuff I need. But it will take me a while to save up for the exhaust again. I figured since I wanna do the other stuff plus headers I would go ahead and get the most expensive thing first then go for the little things to make everything come together. Good plan Bad plan??
I thought getting headers would alow me to hear the engine from under the hood and not have to listen to the loud exhaust?
Basicly I want to go fast but have a quiet car

couple of my friends said that SLP are really good quality stuff... I'm guessing they were wrong. Unless someone else can give me another opinion confused
If they do suck then what should I go with instead if i choose to go with getting the headers?

Re: What to do? - 01/12/06 10:11 AM

The reason I say slp's suck is that they are known to loose thier coating after a short while, and that is what really makes or breaks good headers. If you really want headers and your heart is set on them go with TOG headers, you will thank yourself in the long run. If your looking to hear your engine... I.E. zoom zoom and not the exhaust I.E. roar roar then my advice to you is to get a 3" dp have that installed along with 3" back to the gas tank and then 2 1/2 around the tank to the muffs, leave the stock mufflers on, this will give your exhaust a really throaty sound but it wills till be quiet, and the stock mufflers flow really well so you wont have to worry about restriction. This should cost you around $500 give or take. now, with your money left over, build yourself a 4" intake and place the cone in an air box behind the left front headlight, im sure you've seen pic's, this should probably cost you around $70. Next get a Modular Pulley system and a 3.4" pulley $130. Some really good supporting mods for all this stuff would be a lower temp t-stat $12, some colder plugs $20, a TB Spacer $30. All this little stuff will help your engine to fight knock. With this stuff your super charger is going to be noticably louder when you get on it, especially from your intake. At idle it will probably sound stock or very close to it. With the money you have left over you should buy a short stack intercooler, or start saving for something better like a ported blower, or a new suspension or something. Or better yet some ported exhaust manifolds, this would be the way to go if you want more flow out of your exhaust and dont want to go to headers just yet.

Headers should be one of the last things you put on, or you should put them on only when they are neccesary, especially if you are looking for performance. If you put your headers on now you are going to lose A LOT of low end torque and you wont even really be able to feel the gains up top yet. The headers will help you see more gains from other mods but I dont feel that they are substantial enough to put them on first. If I were you I would at least do everything I have said and then put a cam in it before I put headers on. You sound like you want more horsepower out of it, and I dont think you will be pleased if you start with headers right away

Just my opinion

Re: What to do? - 01/12/06 01:14 PM

So far I already have installed a Thrasher CAI, 160 T-stat, and colder plugs. If i do your list all I would need is the 3.4 pulley, the exhaust, the intercooler, and the TB Spacer. That sounds like a good set up to me.
My brother said that instead of the intercooler I should just go with alcohol injection because it cools better and is cheaper. It would be nice to get a second opinion from someone on here about that.

Wouldn't I still need a new PCM or is that just to add more hp and increase shifts?
What exactly does a TB Spacer help with?
Thanks for the help cheers

Re: What to do? - 01/13/06 02:37 PM

Quote:
My brother said that instead of the intercooler I should just go with alcohol injection because it cools better and is cheaper. It would be nice to get a second opinion from someone on here about that.

Wouldn't I still need a new PCM or is that just to add more hp and increase shifts, and were would I get a good PCM from?
What exactly does a TB Spacer help with, and were do I get a good one also?
Could someone answer these questions for me, and where could I get a good TB Spacer from?

I wanna start buying and putting together my mods now so I don't blow the money somewere else hah smile
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: What to do? - 01/13/06 06:24 PM

You'll need a PCM with everything you're wanting to do.
As for the TB, not sure. I haven't ventured into that area so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Re: What to do? - 01/13/06 11:27 PM

Anyone else have any imput on the TB spacer?

Re: What to do? - 01/13/06 11:57 PM

Quote:

My brother said that instead of the intercooler I should just go with alcohol injection because it cools better and is cheaper.
Your brother is wrong in one aspect.
The injection kit is a less expensive alternative to an intercooler, but the intercooler is far more superior. AI cools the intake before it enters the SC. The SC having extreme temps heats it back up. It is cool enough to reduce timing retard, but not as cool as an IC. An IC cools the charge after the SC, so the heat is taken away after it goes through the most extreme temperatures. Both items are difficult to install. The IC would be the choice among most drivers if given the choice.

Quote:
Wouldn't I still need a new PCM or is that just to add more hp and increase shifts?
A PCM is noticable while driving, it really enhances your driving experience. HP gains are minimal, but I would recommend a PCM upgrade.

Quote:
What exactly does a TB Spacer help with?
A TB spacer helps keep the TB cool, keeping the intake temps down is one way to fight KR. The spacer is a good element for that, but HP gains will be barely noticable. It's just an addition to the many things that can be done to give you another 5-10HP

Quote:
cheers

Re: What to do? - 01/14/06 08:34 AM

Exactly what I wanted to know devilgrin . Once I find my keys that is... banghead

Re: What to do? - 01/16/06 11:17 AM

awesome, sorry I couldnt get back to you sooner, let us know how the mods go hammer

Re: What to do? - 01/16/06 12:28 PM

No problem I'll be sure to post up as soon as I start modding cheers devilgrin