OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin!

Posted by: zuulmusic

OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:20 PM

So now that the weather is nice, its time to get a few mods rollin...
I'd like your input on what I should do. It's got 75K miles on it and has been VERY well maintained. I also keep the thing in imaculate looking condition.

Primarily I am looking for more power, but am open to anything. Haven't decided how much to spend yet...hopefully well under $1K at this point. I'd like to do more in the future.

I've considered:
AIR - better intake of some sort? got a rectangular k&n right now.
Throttle Body - zzp has a high velocity TB. says will add 7-12hp
PCM - not sure. i feel the stock one could be better!
ROTORS (slotted/drilled)+pads for looks. and mine squeal.
CALIPERS - clean them and paint red?

anyway, I do need this car to last a while. I heard the intense PCMs may shorted the life of the car....

thanks!!
Bill

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:25 PM

oh yeah and lowering springs? seems like a relatively inexpensive upgrade that'll improve looks and handling. BUT will it turn out to be more expensive due to other needed things?

Bill
Posted by: GtCombination

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:27 PM

Your going along the right ways. Air/fuel/exhaust Doubt painted rotors would help with performance though. Essentials first. The fifth day i had my stocker i jumped on the train, my simple begginings were Pcm, ram intake, upgraded injectors/ignition, then off to my exhaust. But dont take my advice everyone has their own peeve's. I cant say im anywhere close to that now but just think about what you are using the car for, everybody has different reasons, make it suite yours. It's addicting so keep in mind once you upgrade, you wont be able to stop savewave
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:37 PM

I have a '98 GT and I am going to take the U-bend out of my exhaust. It is reletively inexpensive. I don't know if the '01's have this but it is just an idea.
Posted by: Kirmie

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:40 PM

Nope, ubend was a 97-98 screw up. Also, the newer ones have a little bit better of an intake.
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 12:53 PM

congrats on your new purchase, have fun with it!
Posted by: framos242

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:

I've considered:
AIR - better intake of some sort? got a rectangular k&n right now.
Throttle Body - zzp has a high velocity TB. says will add 7-12hp
PCM - not sure. i feel the stock one could be better!
ROTORS (slotted/drilled)+pads for looks. and mine squeal.
CALIPERS - clean them and paint red?
Air intake-if you can build one, otherwise buy one.

PCM- definately get an aftermarket PCM. Other boards go with DHP. Intense is popular here.

Rotors and calipers-go with it.

I would also say do the exhaust. Get a cat back exhaust. If you can, get a 3" DP and PEM's.

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 01:06 PM

What does the exhaust entail? like what sort of parts and part/labor costs? might have to wait on that...dunno..
thx

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 01:12 PM

Put it to you this way, I have a GT and I'm in the process of getting the parts as follows:

PEM's around 150 w/o core
3"DP (still waiting for Jimmy to get better)-varies.
Hi-flo cat
FM Super 40's-go to ebay store performance peddler for deals. Around 85 a piece.
tips

Labpr will be another thing. See if there's a GP club who can help you or can get a discount on labor.

I'm going to have 2.5" of pipes. After that, the CAI and PCM will follow.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 01:13 PM

All 97-03s came with a U bend.
Posted by: nad

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 03:55 PM

Wow, there is a lot of false information floating around in this topic....Dang!
Posted by: bigant1274

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 06:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zuulmusic:
[QB]
Primarily I am looking for more power, but am open to anything. Haven't decided how much to spend yet...hopefully well under $1K at this point. I'd like to do more in the future.

i think the first thing i would go with and that i want to do (once funds get here)are intake and exhaust. you will fill the most gains from that, besides pcm,from what i hear.the intake is easy and can be done yourself.and springs do add a great effect,just watch-out for potholes,speedbumps, cats,,,etc.
Posted by: RooK

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/22/05 08:09 PM

If you wanted to go with bigger calipers, several guys on clubgp have adapted Corvette brakes. I believe all you need is an adapter. Might be something to look into, plus "Corvette" written on your calipers makes a nice conversation piece.
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/23/05 12:27 AM

"Yea, you can get a aftermarket chip. You can also put a GTP supercharger on it for about $4000.00"

Yea, a lot of false information here on this thread. This is a rare case by the way at grandprix.net. Usually this doesn't happen.

Try these web sites for parts.
www.zzperformance.com
www.intense-racing.com
www.pfyc.com
www.3800performance.com
www.thrashercharged.com (lot of real info/tests)

For GTs:
CAI, U-bend delete, PCM, throttle body ported, ported exhaust manifold

Watch out for fake upgrades like IAT relocation.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/23/05 10:59 AM

I have a 2001 GT myself, so welcome aboard...get your intake and exhaust going 1st...it makes a noticeable difference and sounds soooo much better than stock...get rid of the U bend, its very restrictive...I got a nice set of cad plated, cross drilled and slotted rotors from ebay for under $200...I kept the stock cal;ipers and painted them up and used hi-per pads...they look great and it stops like throwing out the anchor...my next performance mod will probably be hi-ratio rockers (just like adding a light cam) then probably a PCM...I'm extremely happy with my ride...it runs great, not hard on me at the pump and looks wicked...springs and struts will most likely be coming soon as well...happy modding and enjoy your ride!

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/24/05 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
"Yea, you can get a aftermarket chip. You can also put a GTP supercharger on it for about $4000.00"

Yea, a lot of false information here on this thread. This is a rare case by the way at grandprix.net. Usually this doesn't happen.
You can always add a turbo... laugh

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/24/05 08:46 PM

If I had a stock GT, I would go CSC Turbo or ZZP Stroker kit. It's about as simple as that without considering an L67 swap.

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/25/05 08:36 AM

the $3000 turbo looks very nice, but 3K is over my budget here, and even if i did, wouldnt my tranny be risked, and i dont know if i want to try to install it. anybody know how much a place would charge to throw on a turbo?

Re: OK-- got myself a stock 2001 GT.... let the fun begin! - 04/25/05 02:32 PM

The risk to your tranny depends on how much hp you get out of it. I think 4T65E (nonHD) can handle around 240 since they were standard on the GTPs in the early GP runs. Going above that, I would start with looking at a ZZP or Intense input shaft and an LSD. Those seem to cover the weakest parts of the tranny from what people have reported braking. It will also last if you don't try to do burnouts too. They put a lot of stress on the diff and eventually lead to failure.