Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly

Posted by: '01 GT

Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/17/08 09:23 PM

i was recommended by Steve(20gtp02) that these were really good. The reason i am asking opinions is because i wanted to get the KYB gr2's and possibly stock springs. He also does not have these one his car and i was wondering what people thought of them.

I believe he mentioned something about Chico having these one his car but im not sure.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MON&MfrPartNumber=171661&PartType=49&PTSet=A
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/17/08 10:40 PM

I have the kybs. I don't think they are worth all the hype. I recommend monroe since it is easy bolt in.
Wish I had, since I just did struts and needs springs now.
Not sure if Chico has them, but he has recommended them before on a thread.
For a novice, think these would be good idea.
I don't really care for my kybs, but that could be cause of my stock springs still and stock mounts and all.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/17/08 10:51 PM

i would have someone help me put them on my car. i wouldnt be the one installing the kybs and the springs.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 12:38 AM

its pretty easy. A BFH is a must, and i reccommend changing the strut mounts while you have it apart

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 09:17 AM

BFH? The strut mounts are on the strut towers inside the engine bay correct?
Posted by: 4drgt

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 09:26 AM

yeah but there are bolts that connect to the lower part of the strut that are a PITA

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 09:28 AM

well like i said before im having someone who has done this many times before, help me out. So there wont be any issues of confusion here..lol
Posted by: Chico

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 09:48 AM

OK I recommend these for a DD and because they are a complete package at a reasonable price,but no I do'nt use these I currently have Intrax springs with comp g struts ,a nice 2" drop and great tight handling but unless you like a very firm ride I would'nt recommend this setu8p for a DD.Chico(pops)

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 09:58 AM

do comp g struts bolt right in ? and they are more firm than oem springs in our car ?
Posted by: r.s.hutchinson

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 10:08 AM

Tim, BFH is a big f*cking hammer.

I believe comp g struts are a direct bolt in, they are bilsteins iirc.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 11:49 AM

Now that my struts and springs have settled into place, both me and my wife love the feel of the car. It now feels like a cruise missile but isolates rough roads. Ya know Doc Hudson from Cars? Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer? Yeah, my car feels almost like that. It'sa nice, huh? Yes. It. Is.

EDIT: I have GR-2s (or those that are about to be Excel-Gs) and stock springs.
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 12:09 PM

I can't complain about my Monroes, cheap and easy.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
and i reccommend changing the strut mounts while you have it apart
100% agreed.
This is the last thing you want to happen when you are out on the road, especially with a fiberglass hood...

Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/18/08 11:51 PM

the monroe quik strut is a tad pricy but when you consider all your getting its pretty good value. New strut, new spring as well as new mounts and you dont need to bother with a spring compressor. A good, stout ballpeen hammer is a good option to have to get the lower bolts out (and back in)

I also found that if you have the car up on stands, place your floor jack under the ball joint and raise it just slightly...you can help the angle and the bolts will go in much easier (still gonna have to whack 'em)

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/19/08 01:02 AM

well i was thinking about purchasing gr2's and stock springs but these Monroes are so tempting because i can get them and put them on in the same day.

So zalfrin, How do you like the ride? bouncy? Rough? feel every bump? Explain your ride to me please.

those that have Gr2's please explain your ride as well. thanks in advance!
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/19/08 10:48 AM

I've had them on for ~15k miles, bought them when they had their buy 3 get 1 free deal going on.

I haven't rode in a GP with GR-2's, so I can't compare on that aspect. The ride with the monroes seems fine, you're not lowered so cornerning could be better, but it feels stable. No bounciness. Its actually a little firmer than I would like, but nowhere near unbearable. Just not Buick-esque. wink Our highways are terrible, and the car feels fine over the bumps. Not squirrely, not bone-jarringly harsh.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/21/08 05:39 PM

Read on page 1 of this thread. My opinion on GR-2 and OE springs.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 06:31 PM

well im going to have my car fixed by the local mechanics. I thought about buying the monroe quick assembly but when i found out they wanted $240 for ONE WHEEL, i said forget it! lol The mechanics will be using the monroe struts (but not the quick assembly's) with stock springs(which i will most likely be getting rid of come spring/summer).

they are also doing lower control arm bushings, outter tie rods, sway bar repair kit(confused), Wheel suspension bushings(are these the lower control arm bushings??).

All of that of that for 680. ya i know its alot of money but my parents wont let me do it myself. they want me to have a professional do it...i tried to explain to them how much i will save but they refuse to let me do it myself! frown

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 06:35 PM

idk if i would let you work on your car tim haha JPJP

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 06:36 PM

dude w.e! lol ive sent text messages to john(zerg) and some other people and people dont like to respond to me. so i dont have any choice.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 06:46 PM

Well if you were down in the south I'd help you out.

Damn Yankees wink

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 07:07 PM

well then...hmmm haha very tempting..lol anything to save me $300 in labor! frown

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 07:20 PM

i will help you do it for lunch, BBQ lol if u have access to a air compresser we can do it in a day

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 09:51 PM

dude i will by u supper as well! haha

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 09:51 PM

gosh well let me add to that ... and u find me a date for supper

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/22/08 10:05 PM

lol...ummmm

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 09:25 AM

To pretty much replace all 4 corners on my car, without ball joints/control arm work, it took me and Slick about 9 or 10 hours to get this stuff done. My Suspension Research thread has a bunch of info.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by '01 GT:
lol...ummmm
if you can wait until you come to tampa i can help you out

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 06:01 PM

well see the thing is, i dont know how long it will be until i come to tampa. because my brother is going to florida for like 6 months because hes not able to drive his eclipse in the winter any more after lowering it and besides (between you and me lol) he misses my mom a BUNCH!

So i wouldnt get down there until spring break which is when me and Andrew might be coming down for spring break and check some stuff out.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 06:12 PM

Well if your drive near the Atlanta area let me know we'll get together for a meal someplace. I could even drive two hours to meet someplace.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 06:20 PM

sounds good, i am looking fwd to go to FLA for spring break !!!

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 07:22 PM

what week is your spring break?

and where were you guys planning on going?

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 07:32 PM

i will have to check for sure when my break is but i dont do much in school so i can take whenever lol, ask tim he knows the specifics lol

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/23/08 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
i will have to check for sure when my break is but i dont do much in school so i can take whenever lol, ask tim he knows the specifics lol
alright, if you guys come down to tampa (where he is from) im only like an hour from there, so we could meet up. My car had best be done by then.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/24/08 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
[b] i will have to check for sure when my break is but i dont do much in school so i can take whenever lol, ask tim he knows the specifics lol
alright, if you guys come down to tampa (where he is from) im only like an hour from there, so we could meet up. My car had best be done by then. [/b]
ya we are going to stay with my parents for a week. I just need to find a job that is ok with me taking a week off! haha I wont be in school so ya i can also take a break whenever!

Corey im not FROM Tampa, Im from Milwaukee! haha my parents MOVED to Tampa last summer. But ANYWAYS..im going to get into some more details with my parents in the next couple months about whats going to be happening. We wil definately be taking a ride down by you.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/25/08 01:19 AM

thats what i meant, not sure why i said that. I meant where his parents live. My bad.

Its not real far at all from my place, so we have to get together while you guys are here

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/25/08 05:58 PM

ya i will let people know the final details once I know the final details.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/25/08 06:31 PM

Wow this thread went wide right.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/25/08 08:12 PM

haha...well we got to talking about people helping me out btu ya thats not going to happen.

Re: Opinions on Monroe Quick Strut Assmebly - 10/25/08 08:16 PM

i offered, but it would b a while