feedback from rear speakers

Posted by: 98greenGT

feedback from rear speakers - 05/11/07 09:29 PM

i just got a 98 grand prix gt and i was listening to the radio and a fair amount of feedback coming from the two rear speakers (under the rear window). is this a common problem and how can i fix this? i have the single cd player with equalizer.

much thanks from a new grand prix owner
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/11/07 10:01 PM

What does that mean? Feedback? Sounds like to me that you are getting music feedback, but not sure what you are saying.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/11/07 10:38 PM

I had a similiar problem with my rear speakers; turned out to be a bad amplifier behind the glove box. Mine was also causing a battery drain, keeping the rear speakers live with the car off. It's easy to replace; open the glove box, and remove the gray lower dash panel. It should be attached to a dash support, IIRC. cheers

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/11/07 10:50 PM

sorry for not being specific enough. can you tell i'm new here? i just notice when there's a fair amount of bass (or even sometimes none at all) it just sounds distorted so not really feedback. looks like blackarrow might have solved my problem though. thanks.
Posted by: 4drgt

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/12/07 12:53 PM

i i park close to somone with a cb i can here them with my rear speakers ... its crazy
Posted by: Fiin

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/13/07 09:56 PM

Check to make sure the wires are good on the speakers too. Abit of corrosion on a ground will do it too.
Posted by: Arcxnus

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/14/07 12:30 AM

Just because of the age of your car, and from having owned an older GP myself, you might want to make sure the speakers are still .. good.

My old ones were .. well, old, and greater degrees of bass in this young people's music made them crackle and other such miscellaneous noise. I swapped them for some Sonys and they didn't do it anymore. I didn't do anything to the old wires or any grounds, and didn't do any amp stuff.

Was Bose an option for 98? Just wondering.
Posted by: Igor

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/14/07 03:42 PM

Does it sound like a rattling sound? Or does it sound like something is touching the speaker? If that is the case, one or both of them are blown.

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/14/07 10:36 PM

i checked all the wire connections and they seem good. as far as i know bose was not an option for the 98's but i am considering replacing mine with bose ones whether the new amp works or not. the sound is not really a rattling sound it's just distorted whe there's base. i think i have isolated it to the passenger side smaller speaker which is worrying me that the amp might not be the problem. the previous owner is my grandfather and i am very sure that he wouldn't do any listening that would blow out a speaker but is it possible they just blow out over time? i just ordered the amp from ed morad so hopefully theyre not blown.

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/17/07 05:41 PM

well i got the part today and i went to take the old one out and i'm having trouble finding how to get the old amp out! blackarrow, am i taking the panel behind the glove box out or the one below it? i can see it behind the glovebox panel. i'm a beginner so the more details the better. thanks in advance.

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/17/07 10:29 PM

well i got the old amp out and put the new one in... turns out that wasn't the problem. looks like it's a blown speaker. hopefully ed will let me send the amp back. anyone have speakers for sale?
Posted by: Drew521

Re: feedback from rear speakers - 05/18/07 02:07 PM

No, but I bet Ed does.
You might as well spend a few extra bucks and get some real ones off of ebay though - search (6x9)