Compression test finally

Posted by: grandprix38

Compression test finally - 01/09/10 11:12 AM

I ran my 97 grand prix w/3800 series 2 engine for 5 - 10 min to get it to operating temperture,
Did compression test 3x on each cylinder and here are the results
#1: 155 -150 - 150psi
#2: 150 - 150 - 150psi
#3: 80 - 80 - 80psi (sh@t-f%ck)
#4: 160 - 160 - 160psi
#5: 170 - 170 - 170psi
#6: 180 - 175 - 175psi
If the compression on # 3 is that low and it was due to a ring, wouldn't there be blue smoke, cause I don't see any.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 11:51 AM

bad valve train. gasket leaks.

If it were the rings, you would indeed see smoke. valves wouldnt produce any smoke. gaskets would make a NASTY mess outta the top/sides of your engine and of the engine bay.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 12:32 PM

By sight I could, only see a leak between lim and head, there is a little water in oil, I think,
funny thing is water never seperated from oil, and it sat for at least a month, before I checked again,thought it looked like white bubbles on oil dipstick last month, so maybe its not water in oil, just my bad eysight..
And another thing is scanner was saying p0303 twice, or whatever code for misfire is cylinder #3 is, would a hg leak in that area throw that code?
Oh and I know the terminal on the coil for #3 plug was rusty collored, so I know coil was bad, just hoping that was the preset p0303 code and a loose #3 spark plug causesd the new p0303 code.
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 01:33 PM

Bubbles in the oil... either Blown head gasket or bad rings...
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 05:49 PM

I think the head gaskets are fine. Reason being either cyl 1 or 5 would also be low.

Ok so now we know there is a compression issue on #3. Poor some oil into the cylinder and re check the compression. If the compression rises then it's a ring/cylinder issue. If the pressure stays the same it's a valve issue.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Pour some oil into the cylinder and re check the compression.
ummm, what? please explain this because it sure sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
Posted by: nyjets91

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
Quote:
[b] Pour some oil into the cylinder and re check the compression.
ummm, what? please explain this because it sure sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. [/b]
It's a wet-compression test. You just squirt a little oil into the cylinder, not a lot, and check it again. It will help the rings seal better, so if the psi goes up you'll know it's the rings. It won't help the valves seal better, so if the psi stays the same, it's a valve issue

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 09:15 PM

AAH! man, at first it sounded like Bob wanted us to FILL the cylinder! Thanks for explaining it to me. I now feel a LOT less retarded.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/09/10 09:44 PM

LMAO. Trying to compress oil in the cylinder would have indeed been bad. I wonder what would break first...
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Compression test finally - 01/10/10 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nyjets91:
LMAO. Trying to compress oil in the cylinder would have indeed been bad. I wonder what would break first...
Our bottom ends are pretty strong, but I would guess the rod.
Posted by: jorgs_7

Re: Compression test finally - 01/10/10 06:18 PM

Quote:
You'd hydro lock the engine and rape a connecting rod
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: Compression test finally - 01/10/10 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Quote:
[b] LMAO. Trying to compress oil in the cylinder would have indeed been bad. I wonder what would break first...
You'd hydro lock the engine and rape a connecting rod [/b]
nicely put wink
Posted by: amcsocold

Re: Compression test finally - 01/12/10 01:54 PM

So what's an ideal psi reading?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/12/10 02:25 PM

iirc over 150.

But you'd prefer a balance across all the cylinders. If all were 180 and one was 150 you'd want to get that taken care of.

The book will have the accurate limits and variation limits

Re: Compression test finally - 01/12/10 07:56 PM

Quote:
iirc over 150.

But you'd prefer a balance across all the cylinders. If all were 180 and one was 150 you'd want to get that taken care of.

The book will have the accurate limits and variation limits
Quote:
Originally posted by grandprix38:
I ran my 97 grand prix w/3800 series 2 engine for 5 - 10 min to get it to operating temperture,
Did compression test 3x on each cylinder and here are the results
#1: 155 -150 - 150psi
#2: 150 - 150 - 150psi
#3: 80 - 80 - 80psi (sh@t-f%ck)
#4: 160 - 160 - 160psi
#5: 170 - 170 - 170psi
#6: 180 - 175 - 175psi
If the compression on # 3 is that low and it was due to a ring, wouldn't there be blue smoke, cause I don't see any.
So what about these readings, hope and pray it is just the valves, the car did overheat and shut down on the freeway and been down for a few months now, are the rest of the readings other then #3 ok, or probobly something to do with valves also.
And I would have to remove head anyway to fix wouldn't I?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/12/10 08:45 PM

If it overheated and shut down I'm willing to bet that the head/heads is/are warped.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/12/10 09:44 PM

Car overheated and shut down? Pull the heads and have them checked for cracks and put new valves in.

Do the wet check anyways to confirm it's just the heads and not the rings.

This way you'll know how much your going to have to tear the motor down. Hopefully it's just a head rebuild.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 08:13 AM

Yea the car just died on freeway, after it lost power,wouldn't go any more then 50mph, it was a stretch on freeway where you couldn't pull over, car started right back up, but when I tried to add water the water came out the bottom of radiater, so had it towed home, next morning water went right in, didn't come out at all, but anyways thanks guys I will check the rings and go from there.

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
If it overheated and shut down I'm willing to bet that the head/heads is/are warped.
I hope a low reading in one cylinder wipes that thought out,
but it looks more and more like no matter what prob is the head/heads got to come off.
looks like time to tow it brothers and tear it apart, after wet compression that is.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yea the car just died on freeway, after it lost power,wouldn't go any more then 50mph, it was a stretch on freeway where you couldn't pull over, car started right back up, but when I tried to add water the water came out the bottom of radiater, so had it towed home, next morning water went right in, didn't come out at all, but anyways thanks guys I will check the rings and go from there.

Quote:
[b] If it overheated and shut down I'm willing to bet that the head/heads is/are warped.
I hope a low reading in one cylinder wipes that thought out,
but it looks more and more like no matter what prob is the head/heads got to come off.
looks like time to tow it brothers and tear it apart, after wet compression that is. [/b]
Well did the wet test, and cylinder #3 was 90 psi this time, 10 psi more then dry test, I hope I just read dry test wrong but is that ok to be 10 psi more or is that a sign of rings wearing also?And D3nm it there was some kind of forien material on end of compresion adapter hope it wasn't steel particles.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 04:47 PM

You're gonna have to pull the heads, man. Hate to say it, but without pulling the heads, it's hard to tell what's going on.

While the heads are off, take them to a machine shop and have them decked and do a valve job.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 05:16 PM

Quote:

While the heads are off, take them to a machine shop and have them decked and do a valve job.
What's the price range on that, sorry my phone is on the fritz till tomorrow.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 05:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]

What's the price range on that, sorry my phone is on the fritz till tomorrow. [/b]
My place around here costs about 60 a head to hot tank and deck them and I think it was like $150 to do valve jobs on both heads when I had them off last.
Posted by: Chico

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 05:40 PM

Well I would suspect a cracked and or warped head,it is not a good idea to do one head though since U will have 2 have the damaged head surfaced this will cause a raise in compression on that bank ,so pull the head first to confirm damage and when U have the head off fill the bad c-lender with a good cup of oil it should take at least overnight for the oil to leak down ,also inspect the c-lender walls to see if it has damage .Chico(pops)

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 05:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]

What's the price range on that, sorry my phone is on the fritz till tomorrow. [/b]
$289.00 for the pair aluminum heads and $250.00 for a pair cast iron heads, for valve job and heads decked, Seem like a fair price?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]

My place around here costs about 60 a head to hot tank and deck them and I think it was like $150 to do valve jobs on both heads when I had them off last. [/b]
Shiat I better call around then see if I can get job done cheaper then 289.00 for both heads.Assuming and hoping the one isn't cracked or warped
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 07:15 PM

Not a huge difference, $270 for corey's 2 heads. Stock GP heads are aluminum?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
The two machine shops I called both said sound's like a valve issue. so hopefully head is ok, but will pop off both and have them resurfaced and do valve jobs. Thanks again gentlemen.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/13/10 08:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Not a huge difference, $270 for corey's 2 heads. Stock GP heads are aluminum?
The two machine shops I called both said sound's like a valve issue. so hopefully head is ok, but will pop off both and have them resurfaced and do valve jobs. Thanks again gentlemen. [/b]
And also I put a stethoscope to valve covers and exhaust, intake, didn't hear no ticks, does that mean anything, like would a burnt valve cause any noise I should of heard.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 11:17 AM

Quote:
Stock head are cast iron,ZZP has aluminum heads for sale for around $2000.Chico(pops)

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 12:32 PM

That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for confirming.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 12:56 PM

[/QUOTE]Stock head are cast iron,ZZP has aluminum heads for sale for around $2000.Chico(pops) [/QB][/QUOTE]

So stock 97 gp heads are cast iron, when my car overheated it never hit the red line so hopefully it is just the valve prob, and not warped or cracked head, gona start tearing apart today, and get those heads to a shop.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 04:07 PM

Quote:
Stock head are cast iron,ZZP has aluminum heads for sale for around $2000.Chico(pops) [/QUOTE]

So stock 97 gp heads are cast iron, when my car overheated it never hit the red line so hopefully it is just the valve prob, and not warped or cracked head, gona start tearing apart today, and get those heads to a shop. [/QB][/QUOTE]
So much for that it started pooring here in seattle and all I have is street parking.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 05:20 PM

Start to finish how long does this job usually take, I have torn apart a few engines and put them back together, never a 3800 or any v6's for that matter. Time minus head jobs.
Thanks.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 06:50 PM

You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.
Thanks bud if no other problems, I am guesing 8 hrs on a nice sunny day, with no Beer!!! [/b]
[/b]

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 07:34 PM

still tryin to get used to the features this site offers?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.
Thanks bud if no other problems, I am guesing 8 hrs on a nice sunny day, with no Beer!!! [/b]
[/b]

You could do it in a day, especially if you had experience with engines before. I really think you should get those heads checked, though. You could have to go through all of it again if they are unfortunately warped. Just post up here if you have any problems, as there are a few of us that can help you out at different times of the day.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 07:47 PM

Corey, did you not catch what the good sir had said? He said that he lives in Seattle, and that he does not have a garage available, and he's waiting for a sunny day to do all this. His car might get started in 3 years from now!

I used to live in Neah Bay, I understand.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 09:59 PM

Quote:
Corey, did you not catch what the good sir had said? He said that he lives in Seattle, and that he does not have a garage available, and he's waiting for a sunny day to do all this. His car might get started in 3 years from now!

I used to live in Neah Bay, I understand.
Ha ha lol, I usally get a tarp and a drop light if nothing else, tore my 2.3 lt quad 4 and my chevy 5.7 350 engine apart, a few times in this seattle weather, just where the car is parked now its gonna be a little longer then usual.
I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.

Quote:
You could do it in a day, especially if you had experience with engines before. I really think you should get those heads checked, though. You could have to go through all of it again if they are unfortunately warped. Just post up here if you have any problems, as there are a few of us that can help you out at different times of the day.

Yea bringing heads to a machine shop once off, thanks for the advice and tips bud.
Mario

Re: Compression test finally - 01/14/10 10:51 PM

I know youre new(ish), but one of the big rules on this forum is language. Just pull out the A-word up there so you don't have any problems

Re: Compression test finally - 01/15/10 09:00 AM

Quote:
I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.
I was an Air Force brat. Dad was stationed at Makah AFS until it was shut down and turned over to the FAA. Beautiful country, especially if the sun decided to come out. Running down (or at least trying to) Bald Eagles on the beach at sunset while almost surrounded by those lush green cliffs...bummer I didnt appreciate what I was doing at the time. We went to Port Angeles and Calam Bay quite a bit, but that was almost out of necessity as Neah Bay really didnt have much else other than a gas station and a general store. Port Angeles was really nice, up until we went to the Navy yards. Those paper mills kinda killed it for me, ya know?

Since you're doing heads, I would suggest doing injector o-rings and valve cover gaskets while you're there. Cant remember if you're blown or N/A, but if your car is a GT, consider buying an HV3 insert, since your upper manifold would be better off removed. For all I know, it's a requirement on these cars, just like the 60* V6s, to remove the upper and lower intakes to get to the heads.

And yes, one of the biggest no-nos on this site is cussing, right in front of common courtesy/respect. Please remove the profanity from your above post and Herc or Austin wont hunt you down.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 12:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.
I was an Air Force brat. Dad was stationed at Makah AFS until it was shut down and turned over to the FAA. Beautiful country, especially if the sun decided to come out. Running down (or at least trying to) Bald Eagles on the beach at sunset while almost surrounded by those lush green cliffs...bummer I didnt appreciate what I was doing at the time. We went to Port Angeles and Calam Bay quite a bit, but that was almost out of necessity as Neah Bay really didnt have much else other than a gas station and a general store. Port Angeles was really nice, up until we went to the Navy yards. Those paper mills kinda killed it for me, ya know?

Since you're doing heads, I would suggest doing injector o-rings and valve cover gaskets while you're there. Cant remember if you're blown or N/A, but if your car is a GT, consider buying an HV3 insert, since your upper manifold would be better off removed. For all I know, it's a requirement on these cars, just like the 60* V6s, to remove the upper and lower intakes to get to the heads.

And yes, one of the biggest no-nos on this site is cussing, right in front of common courtesy/respect. Please remove the profanity from your above post and Herc or Austin wont hunt you down. [/b]
Upper post edited, Sorry gentlemen:
No its not a gt so no worries about a hv3 insert, just a 97 grand prix se, which I see some members really put down this particular medel/year. My wife loves it so I will fix it.
Thanks for the advice and yea the paper mills in Port Angeless were a big nusence, lived right above one for years.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 01:33 PM

AH! the 3100. If you need, I do have the Chilton's and Haynes' manuals for my 96 Beretta, I'm willing to share info if you cant find the books on your own.

Nm the o-ring and valve cover gasket requirements. The 3100's biggest problem was that it kept spitting head gaskets. Strong, powerful engine, especially for it's size. I wasnt so lucky with the Beretta: The heads warped on mine, which is common with engine failures. Good luck.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 05:44 PM

Quote:
AH! the 3100. If you need, I do have the Chilton's and Haynes' manuals for my 96 Beretta, I'm willing to share info if you cant find the books on your own.

Nm the o-ring and valve cover gasket requirements. The 3100's biggest problem was that it kept spitting head gaskets. Strong, powerful engine, especially for it's size. I wasnt so lucky with the Beretta: The heads warped on mine, which is common with engine failures. Good luck.
I got the 3800 series 2 engine which I heard didn't have a head or hg problem, but since it overheated, and had to drive a bout a half a mile or so in that condition (no where to pull off, heavy traffic etc)could be anything I guese.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 07:33 PM

a 3800 v. II in a SE? They did that?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 07:53 PM

Yes SE's were optioned with the L36. Since you do have the 3.8 then do what was recommended with the insert, o-rings etc.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/16/10 11:15 PM

Quote:
a 3800 v. II in a SE? They did that?
Yep.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/10 02:02 AM

Quote:
Yes SE's were optioned with the L36. Since you do have the 3.8 then do what was recommended with the insert, o-rings etc.
Thanks I will definatly do that hv3 insert whatever that is, is it something I have to order or does it come with gaskit kit(s). I know when I ask for a kit they ask me if engine has the (something]/with line up pins or not, (don't know}. I just tell them I will buy both sets and return the other.
Sorry having a fewer then few beers right now and don't remember exactly what was asked from autopart stores.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/10 09:20 AM

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=214&catid=113

is the link to the HV3. The Butt Dyno shows noticeable gains, the ears say there's a difference, and the fuel efficiency math tells of better flow. Couple that with a CAI, and you should be a happy camper.

The gasket kit I bought was from the dealership. Expensive, but I was sure that it was the updated gasket version.

not the greatest of write-ups, but the pics start on this page, follow the link:

http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003975;p=4

The HV3 is a flat piece of plastic, the UIM insert is flawed, at best. Now's as good a time as any to get a pic posted up. I'll do that today.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/10 05:19 PM

I have a thread on here of an hv3 install in my SE.

www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012850#000000

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amcsocold:
I have a thread on here of an hv3 install in my SE.

www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012850#000000
Quote:

is the link to the HV3. The Butt Dyno shows noticeable gains, the ears say there's a difference, and the fuel efficiency math tells of better flow. Couple that with a CAI, and you should be a happy camper.

The gasket kit I bought was from the dealership. Expensive, but I was sure that it was the updated gasket version.

not the greatest of write-ups, but the pics start on this page, follow the link:

The HV3 is a flat piece of plastic, the UIM insert is flawed, at best. Now's as good a time as any to get a pic posted up. I'll do that today.
Thanks for the info guys, would this be recomended for the automatic, or more for the manual tranny's, mine's a automatic.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 09:11 AM

The w-bodys are automatic unless ur brave and do some custom work.
Posted by: GTPCompG

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 11:12 AM

Quote:

The gasket kit I bought was from the dealership. Expensive, but I was sure that it was the updated gasket version. The sound with a downpipe and plog is a little bit deeper then stock on stock mufflers.

..also couple that with a downpipe/powerlog and you will see even greater gains.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 12:33 PM

Or don't waste your time with a dp/powerlog and get a used set of headers and see even bigger gains.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 01:30 PM

You all are great thanks for the help and tips,
There's a few gp's in the jy's around hear I am sure I can find some good used headers. but I will keep my ears/eyes open for any on sale/for sale on here, be a while before I can get them, though, got to get this engine together first, attacking it little at a time, here and there.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/10 01:51 PM

I doubt you're going to find any headers on a junkyard car. No one mods these things, so there is a very small chance to find them out of the blue.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/10 08:35 PM

only consider plogs if you going turbo.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/10 11:00 PM

Quote:
Have you had a plog or headers? Plogs are nice especially for the people who don't want the task of installing headers

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/10 11:02 PM

Quote:
Have you had a plog or headers? Plogs are nice especially for the people who don't want the task of installing headers

Re: Compression test finally - 01/26/10 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Quote:
[b] only consider plogs if you going turbo.
Have you had a plog or headers? Plogs are nice especially for the people who don't want the task of installing headers [/b]
Sorry been busy, no never had plogs, but I will definetly look into that, Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 02/03/10 09:12 PM

Seen on another post:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dozer:
Whats a 97 Gt 2dr worth? It has an overheating problem which I suspect is head gaskets, also missing front bumper and headlights. Owner says he drove it 5 miles home when it started getting hot, claims it never got over 260. There is antifreeze in the oil but he claims he only drove it 5 miles like this. No motor knock or anything abnormal sounding. Im thinking of putting head gaskets in it and driving it. He also took the front bumper and headlights off for anouther car.
Quote:
Not much. I'd give him a few hundred bucks for it.
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
It's going to need a new motor so pay whatever you thing a car with no motor in it is worth.

Like Corey said, a few hundred max.
Hey my 97 grand prix 3800 series 2 has rusty cocoa colored oil, which means water/antifreese in oil, does that mean I should also look for another motor? only difference is I never drove it in this condition, just warmed it to operating temperture to do compression test.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/10 03:51 PM

Well every little part is falling apart first this vacume hose.

this sensor just came apart when trying to pull out

Guese every thing is just brittle after not replacing in a while.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/10 04:57 PM

That's UR map sensor about $60 ,If U need one PM me I can fix U up cheap.Chico(pops)

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/10 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
That's UR map sensor about $60 ,If U need one PM me I can fix U up cheap.Chico(pops)
Your not kidding 60+, have some for 29+, but better stick to the good shtuff, PM sent, thanks Pops

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/10 06:22 PM

Got the injector rail off, nasty looking, pretty sure there was some kind of air leak there on/around injetors.
Got UIM off looks to be good shape, along with gasket. Will replace gasket for sure though
and the bolts holding th UIM in, I did not have to use hardly any force at all to get them off, I just used a socket screwdiver, some seemed pretty loose.

^^whats that plastic tube on gasket? its not supose to be hooked u to anthing, is it?

Regular colored oil in intake also, hopefully that means coacoa collored oil didn't circulat through engine.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/10/10 12:29 AM

Darn it? Just kidding, engine is fine, but just because I joked around about rain, it's gonna rain all weekend.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/11/10 02:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Darn it? Just kidding, engine is fine, but just because I joked around about rain, it's gonna rain all weekend.
Update: got the intake off, gasket did look somewhat messed up.

[IMG]

Picture of progress
[IMG]

You can see the cocoa collered oil in the head. Maybe I should pop off oil pan and take rod caps off and dry bearings and re lubricate. Gonna wait till I get the rod/rodcaps/lifter/ organizer before I pull the heads. [/b]

Re: Compression test finally - 02/11/10 03:39 PM

To drop the pan your gonna have to either drop the cradle first or lift the engine up.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/13/10 01:43 PM

Quote:
To drop the pan your gonna have to either drop the cradle first or lift the engine up.
Yea forget it I am not going to dry the bearings and whatever That oil is still pretty thick so I think they'll be fine, thanks HercMan

Re: Compression test finally - 02/13/10 02:22 PM

Well as hot as she got on freeway (didn't hit the red zone but stayed close)and the amount of time I had to drive before i could pull over I am suprised the uim didn't warp, straight edged everyway possible.

And also do you think this set is good enough from Autozone?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog...e&parentId=51-0
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Compression test finally - 02/13/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

whats that plastic tube on gasket? its not supose to be hooked u to anthing, is it?

The curved end of the tube goes into the UIM under your PCV valve. The clips on the gasket help to hold it in place.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/15/10 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackarrow98gp:
Quote:
[b]

whats that plastic tube on gasket? its not supose to be hooked u to anthing, is it?

The curved end of the tube goes into the UIM under your PCV valve. The clips on the gasket help to hold it in place. [/b]
Thanks bud, Maintenance book says check cam timing@ 75,000,I bnought with 115,000 miles, don't know if previous owner(s), followed up with maintenance, nothing in writing anyway, and lady I bought car off of moved?

Re: Compression test finally - 02/17/10 05:55 PM

Got the rh head off, gasket looked to be in good shape, no milkshake on cylinder walls, only on top of head, after loosening head bolts's acording to manual, antifreese did come out of the botom bolt hoes when removed. Normal/or sign of bad gasket. Starting to think low compression was do to a burn't valve. will send this head in and have it worked on. Piston's looked good, little carbon build up on one.
valves, only first one from front was white the rest were the same in color, light brown, Curious about low compression on #3.
Pawned my camera so no pics til fri.
Now to start on other head.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/18/10 11:27 AM

Quote:
Got the rh head off, gasket looked to be in good shape, no milkshake on cylinder walls, only on top of head, after loosening head bolts's acording to manual, antifreese did come out of the botom bolt hoes when removed. Normal/or sign of bad gasket. Starting to think low compression was do to a burn't valve. will send this head in and have it worked on. Piston's looked good, little carbon build up on one.
valves, only first one from front was white the rest were the same in color, light brown, Curious about low compression on #3.
Pawned my camera so no pics til fri.
Now to start on other head.
One more thing are the valves suppose to be flush w/head, cause it does look like a couple stick out a tiny,tiny bit, I thought the springs were suppose to keep them flush with the head, if you rub your finger across you can feel the valves sticking out, possibly causing compression reading's. Hopefully just sticky valves and not worn springs.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/19/10 11:29 AM

What ya think of this quote, ever heard of it? and mine has 125k so hopefully mine a valve job won't do any damage. I was asking for a good auto machine shop to do valve work on clubseagp and thats one respone I got

Originally Posted By:
How many miles u have on the motor?
Remember, a fresh valve job could tear up the rings on an older engine.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/19/10 05:22 PM

Anybody, I need a second opinion before I bring my heads in, today.

Quote:
What ya think of this quote, ever heard of it? and mine has 125k so hopefully mine a valve job won't do any damage. I was asking for a good auto machine shop to do valve work on clubseagp and thats one respone I got

Originally Posted By:
How many miles u have on the motor?
Remember, a fresh valve job could tear up the rings on an older engine.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/19/10 05:57 PM

Ahhh forget it I am going with this quote and getting valve job's on the heads.

Quote:
I think the head gaskets are fine. Reason being either cyl 1 or 5 would also be low.

Ok so now we know there is a compression issue on #3. Poor some oil into the cylinder and re check the compression. If the compression rises then it's a ring/cylinder issue. If the pressure stays the same it's a valve issue. [/QUOTE]

Re: Compression test finally - 02/20/10 12:30 AM

What did the- quote U on a valve job?If it is more than $400 U can bu- a set of remanufactured heads with new springs and valves AZ sells a decent set.Chico(pops)

Re: Compression test finally - 02/20/10 04:18 AM

Quote:
What did the- quote U on a valve job?If it is more than $400 U can bu- a set of remanufactured heads with new springs and valves AZ sells a decent set.Chico(pops)
325.00 with payment's. seems a bit high but I will check out AZ. Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 02/21/10 09:17 PM

Quote:
fill the bad c-lender with a good cup of oil it should take at least overnight for the oil to leak down ,also inspect the c-lender walls to see if it has damage .Chico(pops)
Almost got second head off, had to do some side jobs for extra mony but anyway,
well I pushed on piston, and only evidence of any movement was oil squeezing out the top (just a tiny bit of movement each cylinder @tdc) I filled #3 cylinder with oil and let it sit for the hour I was out there today , stayed at the same level the whole time.
Edited: 2hours later, cylinder still full to the brim.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/22/10 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] fill the bad c-lender with a good cup of oil it should take at least overnight for the oil to leak down ,also inspect the c-lender walls to see if it has damage .Chico(pops)
well I pushed on piston, and only evidence of any movement was oil squeezing out the top (just a tiny bit of movement each cylinder @tdc) I filled #3 cylinder with oil and let it sit for the hour I was out there today , stayed at the same level the whole time.
Edited: 2hours later, cylinder still full to the brim.[/b]
13 hours later oil leaked down maybe 1 cetimeter at most, looks like rings are in good shape.
so off with the other head!
Won't be long before I am on the road again.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/23/10 03:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] fill the bad c-lender with a good cup of oil it should take at least overnight for the oil to leak down ,also inspect the c-lender walls to see if it has damage .Chico(pops)
13 hours later oil leaked down maybe 1 cetimeter at most, looks like rings are in good shape.
Won't be long before I am on the road again. [/b]
40 hours+ oil still sitting i centimeter below brim same as yesterday morning.
Can't wait to get this job going.
OTJ Car aciident put back job.

Re: Compression test finally - 03/01/10 03:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
fill the bad c-lender with a good cup of oil it should take at least overnight for the oil to leak down ,also inspect the c-lender walls to see if it has damage .Chico(pops)
Won't be long before I am on the road again. [/b]
40 hours+ oil still sitting i centimeter below brim same as yesterday morning.
Can't wait to get this job going.
OTJ Car aciident put back job.

Yes got to be the valve, I fill #3 cylinder with oil on the 21'st of feb. and it only leaked down half way so far and today is March 1st, I also put some in #5 since the piston was close to bdc and same thing. Can't wait to get this thing back together.
Catch ya guys later

Re: Compression test finally - 03/02/10 11:50 AM

i just did a test on my 99 with almost 200k and my lowest pressure was 150

Re: Compression test finally - 05/16/10 05:06 PM

well can't complete do to injury, brought front head in to test and lightly deck and repair #3 valves. If it is cracked or warped I will pull rear head and replace with newer head's.
was going tpo check timing chain today but it started raining.

Re: Compression test finally - 05/18/10 08:22 AM

Quote:
well can't complete do to injury, brought front head in to test and lightly deck and repair #3 valves. If it is cracked or warped I will pull rear head and replace with newer head's.
Does anyone have this vac tee?

and pics of rear engine assembled can't remember which brackets went where.
Thanks.
Posted by: Igor

Re: Compression test finally - 05/18/10 10:28 AM

IMHO, it might be time for a new car. Also, what's up with that branch in your sig?

Re: Compression test finally - 05/18/10 02:56 PM

Here ya go:

Re: Compression test finally - 05/19/10 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor:
IMHO, it might be time for a new car. Also, what's up with that branch in your sig?
The only thing wrong was a #3 cylinder valve prob, the car and motor is in great condition, little dirty from previous owners but she will be cleaned up and ready to go as soon as my injurys are over. Once I get her back together it will be in excellent condition.
The branch was from a storm, it was actually a dead tree that fell and hit my car, so I took pictures of it for claim purposses.
But I will probobly trade it in for a newer gp, or minivan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackarrow98gp:
Here ya go:

Kool thanks alot Blackarrow98gp, that helps out alot, more then I asked for and now I won't have a prob figuring out where every thing goes.

Re: Compression test finally - 05/19/10 08:51 PM

Shrink you sig pic

Re: Compression test finally - 05/19/10 09:03 PM

I just took it out, I will shrink and put it back up later thanks.

Re: Compression test finally - 05/28/10 10:43 AM

Quote:
I just brought front head in and had it worked on, machinest called and said head is ready $50.00 so I am asuming that the 80 psi reading was from a leaking head gasket and not a valve prob for that price/Allthough he has done other heads/flywheels/ and sold me many parts before so he may have just given me a deal, when I pick head up I will ask what he did to head..

Re: Compression test finally - 05/31/10 07:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] well can't complete do to injury, brought front head in to test and lightly deck and repair #3 valves. If it is cracked or warped I will pull rear head and replace with newer head's.
I just brought front head in and had it worked on, machinist called and said head is ready $50.00 so I am assuming that the 80 psi reading was from a leaking head gasket and not a valve prob for that price/Although he has done other heads/flywheels/ and sold me many parts before so he may have just given me a deal, when I pick head up I will ask what he did to head.. [/b]
I pulled rear head off today, might as well go with plan(A), and do valve jobs on both heads. There was carbon build up on the rear cylinder walls not clean like the front, is that normal, how can I clean that carbon off?

And thanks for fixing my sig Blackarrow98gp I love it!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Compression test finally - 06/17/10 10:47 PM

I just used carb cleaner and cleaned the carbon off, most of it anyway, now waiting on funds to finish the job.

Re: Compression test finally - 07/10/10 12:26 PM

Ok #3 cylinder valves on front head was oil collored figured it was from wet compression test, now on rear head #2 valves are slightly darkened and slightly moist, would that be worn valve seals beings the compression was good If I remember about 160 psi.

Machinist said #3 valve took a hit, and had to be ground,so 80psi was due to a burnt/warped valve.Going to bring rear head in this weekend and do the valve work on both heads.

Re: Compression test finally - 07/10/10 12:31 PM

If #2 had 160psi, I wouldn't worry about it at all. #3 at 80psi is the one that should be machined (as it sounds like it was). It sounds like it's ready to go.

Re: Compression test finally - 07/10/10 12:45 PM

Quote:
If #2 had 160psi, I wouldn't worry about it at all. #3 at 80psi is the one that should be machined (as it sounds like it was). It sounds like it's ready to go.
Yea thanks, I am gonna bring rear head in also and have new seals and valve work done on both heads, someone mentioned a certain degree angle cut on the valves/seats, but I can't remember what it was, said about 6-10 bucks per valve, ahh to much money allready, forget that.I may just bring rear head in to just match up the shave and put new seals in, I thought I was going to be rolling in cash by now but my AK land sale didn't go through for the corperation.
Anyway it was a great experience in taring this engine apart.
Thanks for all the help

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/11 03:20 AM

Well finally getting this engine back together, valve job on both heads.

Ready to put on Intake

hope this was just an extra gasket cause I can't find a home for it.

And I can't remember if I had rear head off when I pulled exhaust mani out, having trouble finding a way down in there, got to late try tomorrow.

Posted by: FordMan77

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/11 12:18 PM

That "extra gasket" is one of the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets. There is one on each end where the LIM meets the block. I hope you have one on each end or you will need to tear the LIM off again and install it!

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/11 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: FordMan77
That "extra gasket" is one of the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets. There is one on each end where the LIM meets the block. I hope you have one on each end or you will need to tear the LIM off again and install it!

shocked Not good man. Hopefully you just got an extra one, but there should be one of these underneath the front and back of the LIM (left and right side of the car). You should also use RTV on them, especially in the corners where the LIM/Block/Heads meet.
Posted by: r.s.hutchinson

Re: Compression test finally - 01/17/11 01:26 PM

Yes that is an extra gasket. I actually got quite a few extra gaskets when I got my top end gasket kit. My best guess is that they are used in other applications as well (possibly even variations due to different years? ie, DBW TB on 04+ compared to 97-03) that use the same gaskets so rather than stocking different numbers they just throw all them in one.

I agree though, hope you used some rtv in the corners where the LIM mates to the heads.

As for the rear manifold, might have to ratchet strap the motor forward towards the rad support to get enough room for it to fit back there. Or try from underneath?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/18/11 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: ordonez1307

shocked Not good man. Hopefully you just got an extra one, but there should be one of these underneath the front and back of the LIM (left and right side of the car). You should also use RTV on them, especially in the corners where the LIM/Block/Heads meet.

Originally Posted By: r.s.hutchinson
Yes that is an extra gasket. I actually got quite a few extra gaskets when I got my top end gasket kit. My best guess is that they are used in other applications as well (possibly even variations due to different years? ie, DBW TB on 04+ compared to 97-03) that use the same gaskets so rather than stocking different numbers they just throw all them in one.

I agree though, hope you used some rtv in the corners where the LIM mates to the heads.

As for the rear manifold, might have to ratchet strap the motor forward towards the rad support to get enough room for it to fit back there. Or try from underneath?

Thanks gentlemen I updated my pics in previous post to show I had the orange end seals in place and lim bolted down,

but I did pop back off cause I only put rtv under orange seal,(side gaskets were sealed to orange end seals) so swabbed some across the top and now she is back together.

I did rear head rockers and rods, did not put any lube on parts, should I pop off and lube, they been sitting since feb of last year(stupid and anctious(sp) to get rolling)

Can I take apart and just use petroleum jelly on rod ends and roller folcrum(sp) or should I go buy some type of lube?
Thanks again

Re: Compression test finally - 01/18/11 11:06 AM

Yes, I would use some assembly lube or fairly thick oil on all the drivetrain parts. Oil the lifters, ends of the pushrods and the rockers.

You've already bolted the LIM so forget about the lifters, they'll pump up once you start the car. Oil the rest though.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/18/11 11:09 AM

Don't use vaseline (petroleum jelly).

If you don't have any assembly lube (Comp sells it most likely available at Autozone) then just use some regular oil and use a liberal amount. The thinner the oil, the quicker it's going to run down off of the parts so it's really all in how fast you are going to have this back running.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/18/11 11:25 AM

Yes, I would use some assembly lube or fairly thick oil on all the drivetrain parts. Oil the lifters, ends of the pushrods and the rockers.

You've already bolted the LIM so forget about the lifters, they'll pump up once you start the car. Oil the rest though.

Thanks r.s.hutchinson I am on my way to schucks. hope to start this by noon. any last minute to do's before I start her up, koeo a couple times or? Thanks again to everyone.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/18/11 11:50 AM

Cycle the key 2-3 times to build some fuel pressure at the rail. you'll need to continue to burp the coolant afterwards. Lube the injector o-rings with vaseline.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck.

You'll want to change your oil after 500 miles or so of driving it.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/20/11 08:44 PM

Cycle the key 2-3 times to build some fuel pressure at the rail. you'll need to continue to burp the coolant afterwards. Lube the injector o-rings with vaseline.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck.

You'll want to change your oil after 500 miles or so of driving it.

Ok got her running runs kinda rough low coolant light flashing, ses light flashing,
overheated first start up, I did open bleeder screw when first started and waited for coolant to come out, replaced water pump, doesn't over heat anymore, but low coolant light still flashes, both radiator and reservoir full.
Brought car to az and had it scanned, came up #4 misfire, swapped coils(new one swapped back to known good used one) still flashing ses, maybe injector.

most of time I get in turn ign. and get nothing 10-20 turns and then it will kick in and start, anyway to disable ani-theft system, car did sit since feb last year with heads in shop due to back injury.
Vids sorry so dark daughter got in late.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/m...nt=P1170179.mp4

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/m...nt=P1170180.mp4

Re: Compression test finally - 01/20/11 09:52 PM

For the no start issue I'm not so sure that is a Security issue, check your wires on the starter solenoid and also check your battery voltage. Make sure the solenoid wires on the starter and tight and clean. When you cycle the key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

The low coolant light could be that it is low on coolant, what I usually do is just keep topping it up every time it cools down after I've driven it until it's topped up. The sensor could be bad or could also be gummed up. I'm not sure what initially went wrong with the motor you have in the car now but when oil mixes with the coolant it can gum up the sensor and stop it from working correctly. You can try taking it out of the rad and clean it up, it's on the passenger side about 1/3 of the way down, it's a square sensor.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? What headgaskets did you use? Do you have a vacuum gauge you could use to check what it is pulling?

Re: Compression test finally - 01/21/11 08:27 AM

For the no start issue I'm not so sure that is a Security issue, check your wires on the starter solenoid and also check your battery voltage. Make sure the solenoid wires on the starter and tight and clean. When you cycle the key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

The low coolant light could be that it is low on coolant, what I usually do is just keep topping it up every time it cools down after I've driven it until it's topped up. The sensor could be bad or could also be gummed up. I'm not sure what initially went wrong with the motor you have in the car now but when oil mixes with the coolant it can gum up the sensor and stop it from working correctly. You can try taking it out of the rad and clean it up, it's on the passenger side about 1/3 of the way down, it's a square sensor.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? What headgaskets did you use? Do you have a vacuum gauge you could use to check what it is pulling?

Reset cp every tine:
1. Swapped coils nothing still flashing ses, tried a couple few coils.
2. Grabed last # 2 plug wire, swapped with #4 new plug wire, still flashing ses.
3. Went in back where car was parked for a year and worked on, searched for 10 min. wallla found New COIL gasket in bushes still in bag of coarse. Used a used one after loosing new one, Put new GASKET on 1 & 4 coil.

Wow so far just a service engine soon light (not flashing anymore), and low coolant light. I would never imagined that little gasket made the difference, I also unplugged the ICM harness and blew out the contacts. At least now I can drive to work and back.
Spray carb cleaner on contact point's on intake's, tb, inj and vac lines I can't find where the air is entering, assuming that's the ses light now. will get it scanned again tomorrow. And last but not least where is the low coolant sensor, probably have to pull the air breather box.
Thanks again

Edit:
went to go to the store this morning and no ses light, went off after a block, hestates here and there, maybe moisture got in tank, tank was on E the whole year, so I will add inj. cleaner and heat to remove any moisture.
Thanks for pointing out the coolant sensor. I thought it would be on reservoir, every time I checked level it was at the top on Radiator and reservoir, I will clean after work todAY.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/21/11 10:17 AM

The sensor is on the passenger side of the rad, right below the rad cap basically.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/11 08:58 AM

The sensor is on the passenger side of the rad, right below the rad cap basically.
cool thanks took car on a road trip 70miles round trip, to see if the cp would recognize any faults but nope low coolant light still on, will clean sensor today/or replace, my hud keeps going off and on mainly when I turn on the blower fan,(HUD turns off) is that a common prob? replace blower fan switch or hud? And darn I smell oil burning or something when I get out of car, checked under front valve cover, dry, have to check rear today I did lose one front exhaust mani bolt, maybe smell is coming from there, and the hg kit only came with one exhaust donut, I think went in between the rear mani and the middle pipe(only place I seen a exhaust donut. kit did not have the metal flang between rear exhaust and downpipe, will replace the flange, 1 missing exhaust bolt, and take off middle pipe and double check, make sure it isn't metal to metal on one of the contacts, looked like one end (middle pipe or front exhaust)was shaped to fit in the middle piece with no gasket.
Thanks for all the help.
Mario

Re: Compression test finally - 01/22/11 07:04 PM

The HUD issue is a bad solder joint some where. It's been a while since I've had to think about it but there is a thread on here dealing with that issue.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/23/11 06:44 AM

The HUD going off when blower fan is turned on or other electronic devices acting up like that are 99% of the time caused by the ignition switch. You can clean the contacts inside of it or replace the ignition switch or you can search up Jaybur's switch saver mod I think it was if you are handy with electronics.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/23/11 11:21 AM

Thanks gentlemen I am searching for ignition switch fix links, and get that fixed, I have to tab the car so all I got is 3 day permits, and can't see it cause rear defrost doesn't work when hud is working or blower fan is on(one of them.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/23/11 11:42 AM

You know I can't find jaybur's fix or anyother, I remember seeing in a fix a while back You needed a certain sized t? star socket, I am pretty good with electronics just want to make sure I have that socket before I start,
Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 01/23/11 12:11 PM

I have a feeling that it didn't make it over when the forum was upgraded because I can't find it either. It might be on CGP somewhere I'll have a look.

I think this is a better fix anyway as opposed to his workaround.

Ignition Switch repair

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/11 07:03 PM

I have a feeling that it didn't make it over when the forum was upgraded because I can't find it either. It might be on CGP somewhere I'll have a look.

Ignition Switch repair

that link did not work do you know if this is the switch for my 97 grand prix se
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/2/655874-pontiac-ignition-starter-switch-by-bwd-part-cs605.html

thats the one i ordered from oriellies, I guese there were two types, column shift and console shift, that one was for console shift.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/11 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: grandprix38

Ignition Switch repair

that link did not work do you know if this is the switch for my 97 grand prix se
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/2/655874-pontiac-ignition-starter-switch-by-bwd-part-cs605.html

thats the one i ordered from oriellies, I guese there were two types, column shift and console shift, that one was for console shift.

Anyone got step by step ign.switch removal, this dang hanes dosnt say anything.
thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 01/24/11 10:39 PM

Ignition Switch repair

Anyone got step by step ign.switch removal, this dang hanes dosnt say anything.
thanks
I will just start unbolting this and that, got a t-torx set, got home found out I needed a e-torx set, e-5 which I can't find anywhere, found a e-4, which undoes one of the nuts, hopefully the post I read was for an e-4 torx and not an e-5 torx, but you know murphy's law, got a have them all, stupid oriellies didn't have any e-torx and az had e4 single and a set with e-6 on up.
Definatly a switch prob though, I have the lower column plate off with the black box exposed, if I tap on it with ignition on start it will start up. I bought a new switch, will replace and tare old one apart to expirience cleaning the contact point's.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/25/11 01:03 AM

well tried to go around pullung steering wheel and went under top plate got a allen wrench down the hole to release the key cylinder(key in on/run position}but couldn't get the leverage or find the spot to push to release the key cylinder, slowly turned key, but could not hit the spot,tried different size allen's, I give up for the night. if I tap on the switch box I can get car to start,wished I could get that box apart on vehicle to clean contacts.
looks like steering wheel is coming off, I am forgetting something, I will get it tomorrow. going to find a better fsm also.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/25/11 07:42 PM

well tried to go around pullung steering wheel and went under top plate got a allen wrench down the hole to release the key cylinder(key in on/run position}but couldn't get the leverage or find the spot to push to release the key cylinder, slowly turned key, but could not hit the spot,tried different size allen's, I give up for the night. if I tap on the switch box I can get car to start,wished I could get that box apart on vehicle to clean contacts.
looks like steering wheel is coming off, I am forgetting something, I will get it tomorrow. going to find a better fsm also.

Hey it starts when I tap on the switch box, will running it like that till weekend, hurt/burn any components up? Also I went to Burien today to get tabs, when I got home(20 mile rt)smoke was coming out the rear sides of hood,in front of windshield looked light colored, don't know if it was from not replacing exhaust flange, between exhaust and rear mani, or possibly a clogged cat. I checked rear valve cover, and did see one of the rear bolts(right side middle ones) worked its way loose, and i felt wet oil in area, tightened it, hope that was the prob.The rest of the bolts were tight.
Thanks for any replies.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/28/11 02:21 PM

You're supposed to use loctite on all those exhaust bolts. It won't hurt anything to run with a failing switch.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/28/11 05:01 PM

I know it's a little late, but here's the link for removing the ignition switch, to clean the contacts: Ignition Switch Instructions (With Pictures) and the Ignition Bypass Mod

The hardest part of the job of course, is finding the right size torx sockets.. wink

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 04:21 AM

Thanks for the links on the switch, Well turned out my power steering hose had a leak and was the smoke culprit, even had a little fire on the o2, was able to blow it out, I did add a qrt of tranny fluid before smoke started, so I thought it was tranny fluid that came up filler tube and splashed on exhaust, so I drained about 1/2 to 3/4 qrt. anyway got ps hose on started her up and ps pump whined for a couple blocks then stopped, but now transmission is making noise, but only in park, when I put in gear noise stops, I added 1/2 qrt tranny fluid, but no change. any suggestions,
Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 07:39 AM

With the car in Park on level ground, start the engine and let it reach operating temperature. Then step on the brake, and put the shifter in each gear for a few seconds, until you're back in Park again. Then check the trans fluid level with the engine running in Park, and add if necessary.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Blackarrow98GP
With the car in Park on level ground, start the engine and let it reach operating temperature. Then step on the brake, and put the shifter in each gear for a few seconds, until you're back in Park again. Then check the trans fluid level with the engine running in Park, and add if necessary.
Thanks bud I did try that last night, thats when I put 1/2 quart in, and still noise in park, I will add more this morning and hope it goes away. Is noise in park only a sign of low tranny fluid? Just hope I didn't f it up when I added a quart or drained out to much.
I kept seeing red fluid on firewall and components around filler tube, even under brake booster, so I thought it was tranny fluid, smelled like tranny fluid, but found out my ps hose had a leak, when I detached the hose the ps fluid was reddish collored and smelled like tranny fluid, so been ps fluid all along.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 10:15 AM

Thanks bud I did try that last night, thats when I put 1/2 quart in, and still noise in park, I will add more this morning and hope it goes away. Is noise in park only a sign of low tranny fluid? Just hope I didn't f it up when I added a quart or drained out to much.
I kept seeing red fluid on firewall and components around filler tube, even under brake booster, so I thought it was tranny fluid, smelled like tranny fluid, but found out my ps hose had a leak, when I detached the hose the ps fluid was reddish collored and smelled like tranny fluid, so been ps fluid all along.

Ok great nois is in tranny but not fluid related, the vac T I could not find I modified and one side goes down in to tranny,

it leaks, I pushed on T and sound went away,let go sound came back,for some reason I took off that black zip tie, I will put another tie back on for temp fix and go find the right T and fix, do you know where the evap can is at rear of vehicle? I put a hose coming up from drivers side that goes under car on rear vac T, just don't remember if that where I pulled it from 12 months ago, don't see any other loose vac lines so gotta be it.
Thanks, and no more fluid leaks!!!

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 11:40 AM

The Evap Canister is behind the driver side rear wheel and housing liner. You'll need to remove both to get at it.

Re: Compression test finally - 01/29/11 12:02 PM

The Evap Canister is behind the driver side rear wheel and housing liner. You'll need to remove both to get at it.
kool thanks, that means the hose I got hooke up to t next to rear mani is the right hose. Hey Blackarrow98GP
you are a great help and I thank you, and aprieciate all your time.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/05/11 09:21 PM

Now when I start car, I hear a light knock in engine, sounds lower engine, until warms up, I have 10-40 in car to thick for 129000 mile engine? auto parts/machinist said oil was on them, didn't relize he gave me 10-40 till I got home
Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/11 04:29 PM

Hey when cleaning contacts on switch do these got to sanded down to bare brass or is the contact on left what they should look like.

(Borrowed image)

Thanks

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/11 05:06 PM

Hey when cleaning contacts on switch do these got to sanded down to bare brass or is the contact on left what they should look like.

(Borrowed image)

Thanks
Anyone?

Re: Compression test finally - 02/06/11 09:41 PM

Left is correct.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/07/11 12:32 AM

(Borrowed image)

Thanks
Anyone?

I just cleaned the black stuff off, but I should of took pitures of disasembly. dang key doesn't return back to run position got to pop back apart and reset cam and spring, will just keep fiddling till I get it right:

pic from another forum.

Re: Compression test finally - 02/07/11 10:19 PM

(Borrowed image)

Thanks
Anyone?

I just cleaned the black stuff off, but I should of took pitures of disasembly. dang key doesn't return back to run position got to pop back apart and reset cam and spring, will just keep fiddling till I get it right:

pic from another forum.

Well got to get a new switch, I either can't get cylender lock in key in run position , or, I turn the rectangle hole to where I can get cylinder lock in and car won't start and accessories only come on in start pos, or I move cam and spring in different position and key won't spring back to run. spring loaded so I must have to force the the end of spring that stick up into a certain spot. I got the end that stick out in the notch at 5 o-clock like in 2nd picture on this switch

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/542938-ignition-starter-switch-by-bwd-part-cs545.html

Re: Compression test finally - 02/15/11 07:30 PM

Replaced the switch, now No alarm, keyless entry.keyless lock, think I just need this relay and I am all done I blew it out switching wires to try and stop continuous flashing security light.
all fuses are good.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/D...ier=221854_0_0_

I read on there a bad relay could make things not function or stay engaged, which would explain continuous flashing security light.

Re: Compression test finally - 04/17/11 01:38 AM

Ok been together a few months, still have to get vac lines replaced that t off of TB, and go to fpr and tranny. check engine light comes on every now and then pretty sure its the leak. Check it later, but power isn't as good as it was before head work, it gets up and goes but seems like it did it faster before. Could be vac leak also, I was in such a hurry to get it going I didn't re compression test after head install, but will do after vac line replacement.
Would you consider putting this ZZP SS304 3-inch catted downpipe on my n/a for greater sound.

Re: Compression test finally - 04/17/11 07:13 PM

downpipe won't really change your exhaust sound.

Re: Compression test finally - 04/17/11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Zalfrin
downpipe won't really change your exhaust sound.

Yea I was afraid of that, would need to put a cam in right? How much you figure? I am going to by the downpipe, might as well replace timing chain and throw in a cam.:) little here and a little there. This will ALL take place after back is fully functional, still having problems after last years accident.
then after all that I am looking to do tranny swap.

Re: Compression test finally - 04/18/11 10:51 AM

Cam will definitely change your exhaust tone. smile If you're going through the effort of camming though, better be tossing a blower on top while you're at it. Like you say, I'd make sure your current setup is running like it should before you throw any more variables in the mix. Downpipe will help your car breath better, but if you're already considering camming, I would bet in a year or two you'll be wanting to upgrade to headers instead. Something to keep in mind.

As for changing the exhaust tone, swap your stock muffler for a performance one and you'll get some more sound at idle. If you're keeping your stock res, it probably won't get too droney while cruising. I'd suggest either keeping stock res or stock muffs to keep it from getting too annoyingly loud.