turbo?

Posted by: GTP_noob

turbo? - 12/16/06 04:22 AM

Im running into a lot of money (for a 21 y/o student) this summer and im thinking of going turbo. What are supporting mods for a turbo setup? Do they differ from a s/c setup? Can i just go turbo then add supporting mods?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 08:29 AM

What is your ultimate goal? You already have an L67 which can be modded quite well for the price of a turbo. But like my question says what is your ultimate goal?
Posted by: SteveOGTP

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 10:59 AM

if your going turbo you should get the FULL kit... intercooler and boost controller and also you will need bigger injectors.. I would get a cam and you will need to tune for sure... but the kit comes with everything else you need
Posted by: D

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 11:14 AM

I think you should save your money on a turbo and go for the intercooler, cam it,and stay with the blower. You are going to run into some problems with the turbo if you dont know the in's and outs of how to tune a turbo car. With a blower, an intercooler, and a cam all you need is the powertuner. And you will see some very good numbers.

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 05:22 PM

I want to run mid 11's and trap around 120. I havent seen any gp do this w/o going turbo. This car will no longer be my DD. See I just finished school and i'll be working as an EMT this summer I will be making around 40k in a 61/2 month span. I only spen around $650 a month on bills. So I want to do something big with my car....especially with all the ricers out here, they dont really know the potential of a gtp

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 05:55 PM

Mid 11s is very doable with the S/C.
Posted by: 2fast4u

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 06:09 PM

ok figure just cam and teh supporting mods youll get hig 12's
add heads and yoru mid 12's
add a chiller and your low 12's high 11's
and still less than a turbo and chiller

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 06:49 PM

how much am i looking at here? i was planning on spending 5-6k, but i had some cosmetics included in that amount.
Posted by: Chico

Re: turbo? - 12/16/06 08:15 PM

Try something different go with a whipple and supporting mods the sound is incredible and I think you could reach your goals .Chico.

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 04:32 AM

the whipple is like $4k! I looked at it but i think (correct me if im wrong)that i will see more from the turbo and it cost less

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 05:42 AM

I found this clip of a whipple charged gtp
Sounds insane. I might do it just for the sound. what supporting mods do i need for this?
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=grand+prix+whipple
Posted by: Chico

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 06:09 AM

To take advatage of the whipple I would say P&P heads,cam and headers.Chico.
Posted by: Igor

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 12:42 PM

Damn that whipple sounds like a police car.
Posted by: bikrboy128

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 05:28 PM

omg i want a whipple
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 05:46 PM

Here is my though.

If it isn't your DD anymore and you have another car already:

1) Beef up the tranny with zzperformance.com tranny upgrades. Your tranny will be in danger with 11s.
2) Either the Cartuning Turbo kit or the ZZPerformance turbo kit.
3) Intercooler.

Not 100% sure this will give you 11s but based on feedback I heard from others with this setup, it will definately give you 12s. You may have to get the additional items as suggested like cam and heads to handle more boost.

If you don't have a 2nd car just yet. Recommend saving for a downpayment for a REALLY nice car/truck. Save enough so your monthly payment is a joke.
Posted by: 2fast4u

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 07:21 PM

DONT GO WIPPLE!!!
their way overrated on our cars
Posted by: Tech

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 08:07 PM

A blow off valve would sound so much nicer in my opinion. go turbo if you got the money
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: turbo? - 12/17/06 11:15 PM

Be unique... go centrifugal. Sounds way better than turbo or m90.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 10:45 AM

GOOD LORD!!! That Whipple sounds SICK!!! WTF is a whipple? I want that whipple sound! I want it NOW!!! lol

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 11:22 AM

the whipple is a bigger s/c. heres the link read up on it

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/w-body-store-animul-performance-whipple-kits-new-p-25.html
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 03:14 PM

Indeed, after getting the link from Herc's site, I ended up finding the whipple after shopping for suspension. Brad, why is the whipple overrated?

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 04:25 PM

For the price to change power adders I'd say stick with what you have and with some exhaust mods, cam, I/C, small pulley etc will get you what your after for much cheaper.

But it is your car your money your choice.
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 05:12 PM

I just though about something.

If you want 12s, you are not dealing with some slow ricers with a bunch of heavy worthless mods but with some guys tunning compact cars. If you put a turbo on it, your GP won't get the respect you're looking for. They'll say "You had to put a turbo on it to beat us".

I change my vote to adding power adders. You can still go 12s with the S/C. That would be a HUGE slap in the face to everyone that competes with you.

Just because you are going to get a lot more funds doesn't mean you should start spending it or a depreciating car. Save for a house. That way you can beat everyone in your neighborhood with a straight face (just to make them mad) and drive into your driveway where a couple more cars are parked where a hot girl is waiting for you (hey, you got to afford her).

Why beat a couple of folks in a race when you can save and beat them all in the game of life wink

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 07:11 PM

I think i might go with the whipple. all Ive been thinking about is that sound!!! that would scare the piss out of these ricers lmao. And like someone on clubgp told me...turbo's are tried and proven, but a whipple, not many have them. I do like to be different
Posted by: Dre da GP man

Re: turbo? - 12/18/06 10:10 PM

That sound is nice, if I was next to one I would be shocked.

Re: turbo? - 12/20/06 04:11 AM

So what supporting mods am i looking at here
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: turbo? - 12/20/06 04:39 AM

Do more research into it. I've been following a guy on clubgp who was having issues for a long time with his setup.
I agree with most others who are saying the gains from a nicely modded M90 setup far outweigh the coolness effect of a whipple. Up to you though.