Change fuel filter and PCV valve,

Posted by: Pontiac Dude

Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/29/09 10:00 PM

Where is the fuel filter and PCV Valve located
on a 2002 Grand Prix GT? Is the fuel filter hard to change?
Posted by: 98greenGT

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 12:50 AM

I'm thinking if you don't know where they are, you shouldn't be changing them...

But the PCV valve is located on the UIM on the passenger side of the car. There is a harness that goes into the UIM, remove that and the PCV will be right under it.

Fuel filter is in back on the car. I believe you can go through the trunk to gain access to it. I've never changed mine (probably should) so I can't speak as to how to change it.

Once again though, if you don't know where they even are maybe you shouldn't be doing it yourself. If you do, at least do your research first.
Posted by: nyjets91

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 01:34 AM

As greengt said, it might be over your head if youve never done em before. Find a friend to help you or something maybe.

Anyway though, you dont go through the trunk, you just follow the fuel line back from the engine and you'll see it. Spray the fitting with a lot of PB blaster and let it soak in for a bit cuz itll be nice and rusty and you risk breaking it.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 02:14 AM

Here ya go: How to change the fuel filter (\'97+ Grand Prix) and How to-PCV installation
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 98greenGT:
I'm thinking if you don't know where they are, you shouldn't be changing them...

A little harsh? It's not like he's rebuilding an engine. Just because he doesn't know the location doesn't mean he's incompetant.
Posted by: TexasGP

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 10:42 AM

I was going to type the same thing Herc!

Hell, I didn't know where my PCV was either. I had to get online to figure out where it was. And I am mechanically inclined.

The fuel filter is on the drivers side "rail" under the car. Between wheel well and door. Not hard to change at all. Make sure you relive pressure on the fuel system by removing the gas cap.

Also, wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves if possible. And keep your mouth closed, gas tastes nasty.
Posted by: nyjets91

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasGP:
And keep your mouth closed, gas tastes nasty.
Yeah i learned that one the hard way... banghead

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 10:57 AM

I did too, but it still seems to happen a lot. I should take my own advice sometimes!
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nyjets91:
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasGP:
[b] And keep your mouth closed, gas tastes nasty.
Yeah i learned that one the hard way... banghead [/b]
You're supposed to change the fuel filter, not sample the fuel... wink
Posted by: amcsocold

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 11:19 AM

havent you heard that the new quality control method :p

but you definitely need some one there thats done it b4 if this is you first time ever changing a fuel filter

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 11:25 AM

Pffffft. I drink gas for my energy drink! Gives me gas though. (No pun intended smile )
Posted by: jorgs_7

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 11:46 AM

Quote:
I didnt know how to install either and I did it perfectly fine :rolleyes: . Its 2 box end wrenches and 2 10mm bolts for the PCV.

real tough
Posted by: 98greenGT

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Quote:
[b] I'm thinking if you don't know where they are, you shouldn't be changing them...
I didnt know how to install either and I did it perfectly fine :rolleyes: . Its 2 box end wrenches and 2 10mm bolts for the PCV.

real tough [/b]
Did I say anything about not knowing how to install it? He's got a GT anyways, which are even easier to install.

I also said that if he wants to, he should do his research first, which is exactly why I answered both of his questions in my post.

I certainly would not go looking to replace a part before I knew what it was and where it was located. All I meant was that he should do his research first, I never said he was incompetant.
Posted by: Madness

Re: Change fuel filter and PCV valve, - 10/30/09 04:45 PM

Yes, spray the fittings with BLASTER or another penetrating oil every night for a week before you try to change the fuel filter, you will also want to get a 5/8"? "line wrench" to prevent dmg to the fuel line. Put a pan under it before you loosen the lines. Good Luck!