ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..??

Posted by: lbolta

ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 07:22 PM

Hey Guys,

Is it normal for my car to have more KR with a modded pcm as opposed to a stock one? My car is basically stock except for a ZZP PCM, Gutted airbox w/ K&N filter, 605 plugs and 180 T-stat. The pcm has been on for over a week and I have more KR when I "get on it" than with the stock pcm kooky I have a 3" catless DP coming to me. Hopefully that helps with the KR.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 07:25 PM

The timing is increased, so i can see this happening. I was not happy with my ZZP PCM. The downpipe will help out a lot. A cone filter will help too.
Posted by: r.s.hutchinson

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
The timing is increased, so i can see this happening. I was not happy with my ZZP PCM. The downpipe will help out a lot. A cone filter will help too.
x2. I've heard bad things about their PCM's. get rid of that ubend and put an open cone to let the motor breathe, it will help alot.

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 08:19 PM

The DP is a catless bolt-on so it will have the ubend deleted. I was "trying" my best to keep this car stock. lol But I guess I'm just trying to make it more fuel efficient, yeah right!

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 08:40 PM

anything that helps the motor breath, intake or exhaust, increases MPG. the bigger dp and intake will improve MPG.
Posted by: notladstyle

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r.s.hutchinson:
anything that helps the motor breath, intake or exhaust, increases MPG. the bigger dp and intake will improve MPG.
negative. more air = more fuel = less mpg.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 08:54 PM

Actually the easier it breathes the more "efficient" the motor is. More bang for the buck. Requires fewer RPMs. My open cone netted me a 2mpg gain.
Posted by: Acefighter

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 09:53 PM

Theoretically, the high velocity TB I ordered should improve MPG too, right? That's kinda what I was assuming, not that it makes much difference.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/06/08 09:55 PM

easier it breathes the better it is.
Posted by: Chico

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/07/08 12:22 AM

Well part of the reason your getting more knock is because the ZZP is tuned for a mildly modded car,for an out of the box pcm ZZP's are not bad but from what most guys say if you have no way of tuning try Overkill's PCM he apparently tunes a little more individual than the others generic type tunes,What specifically did you want tuned out of your stock PCM?

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/08/08 04:20 PM

I like the quicker shifts the modded pcm gives..along with the other benefits like speed limiter removal, fan turn-on etc.

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/08/08 05:10 PM

my 97 still just flashes 199 (km). so after that I dk how fast i'm going.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/09/08 10:57 PM

You can get PCMs with stock timing.
DP should just about solve your problem, though.

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/10/08 07:12 PM

How much louder will that catless DP make my car sound? I still have the stock resonator and mufflers.

Luis
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 09/11/08 03:41 PM

A bit louder. Tone will sound a little more raw. I like the idle much better. I won't even mention full throttle sound since most of us know it sounds crappy.

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/02/08 07:03 PM

*update* Installed the 3" catless DP and it's hardly noticeable. Like zuulmusic said, it's more "raw". Sounds nice.
Posted by: Chico

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/02/08 09:48 PM

Did the DP help with KR?

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/06/08 08:40 PM

Well after a few days of driving with the DP, I've decided to remove the ZZP pcm for the stock one. Not sure why but the DP didn't help much with my KR. I was getting between 4-5*. Took it out for a test with the stock pcm a few times and my car hardly has any KR now. The only drawback is the coolant temps are now a little higher than before.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/06/08 08:46 PM

And here I was thinking that 4-5* KR is acceptable. That being said, I understand any KR is a performance-killer. I, for one, woulda kept the tune, but thats me. Glad you're happy with the exh note, though.

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/06/08 08:59 PM

kooky Get's great MPG also.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: ZZP PCM more KR than Stock PCM..?? - 10/07/08 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
And here I was thinking that 4-5* KR is acceptable. That being said, I understand any KR is a performance-killer. I, for one, woulda kept the tune, but thats me. Glad you're happy with the exh note, though.
4-5 degrees on a stock car is fine. When you start dropping pulleys, the knock becomes more of a problem.

4 degrees of knock with a 3.0 pulley is a LOT worse than 4 degrees of knock with a 3.8 pulley