K & N Oil Filters

Posted by: rocketman

K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 05:12 PM

Does anyone have any experience or an opinion about these? I keep looking at them in the parts stores, but they seem a little pricey to me.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 05:16 PM

I don't waste my money on them.
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 05:47 PM

if you're talking about the cones, go for it, cone is much better than stock airbox. spectre makes a cheaper comparable one.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 05:49 PM

I've used the K&N oil filters for a few years now. Love them. I'm still yet to find chips in the pan. Supposedly, and I havent cut one open to find out, they have a magnet in the bottom to try and catch the fine chips that make it through the element. HP-1001 is what you're lookin for.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 09:31 PM

I use them simply because I wanted a high quality filter since my change interval is higher since I'm using full synthetic. Fram used to be the market standard but they have gone so long without any real innovation in their products they have fallen behind.

I read a test in one of the auto publications (car & driver I think) and they rated Mobil-1 and K&N as the two best filters on the market...so those are the only two I use now. Fram didnt even make the top 5.
Posted by: ChrisGT

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
if you're talking about the cones, go for it, cone is much better than stock airbox. spectre makes a cheaper comparable one.
........Oil Filters.......... Not air... :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketman:
K&N Oil Filters
And on topic Mobile 1 is what I use work great + cheaper.
Posted by: tazfootball2

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/17/09 10:13 PM

Used to use Fram every oil change until Herc found a link that dogged the Frams... now I use Mobil 1.
Posted by: Drakhan

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/18/09 01:04 AM

I use mobile 1. Been thinking about a K&N, mobile 1 works great and, like stated before me, it's cheaper.

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/19/09 10:37 AM

LOL!!! OOps, way to read, me.

I'm going to claim the topic name changed. wink
Posted by: Acefighter

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/19/09 07:48 PM

I always use K&N, if only for the reason that it's got a stud on the bottom that makes removing it SUPER easy, all you need is a ratchet.
Posted by: rocketman

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 09:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've typically been using NAPA or the Duraguard (whatever they are called) oil filters, and I change the filter every time I change the oil......

With nearly 200k miles on my '98 GT, I'm also wondering whether or not to switch to synthetic oil. I'd sure like to get at least another 100k out of this engine....
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 09:49 AM

if youve been taken care of it that 3800 will last forever. the trannys tho.....Ha. i use fram(im going to change to a good oil filter) and valvoline synthetic. For air filter im running a spectre filter.
Posted by: AntGT

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 10:17 AM

i got just bought wizaired cai.Is that a good purchase?
Posted by: 4drgt

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 02:22 PM

what the heck .... did you read anything is this thread antgt??? im sorry if im sounding like @$$ or something but what the heck??

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 02:45 PM

oooo sh*t lol i cant believe i psoted that here i put it in the wrong topic.Im sorry guys frown

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 02:47 PM

When i posted it i thought i was still in a mod topic
Posted by: goinpostal

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/25/09 09:01 PM

I've used mostly K&N with my GTP since new. I think I've use one or two Mobil-1's. I love the fact you can use a socket to remove the filter!

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/26/09 04:00 PM

why would you need tools to remove the oil filter? They shouldnt be torqued to much more than hand-tight. That is more than sufficient, especially if a thin film of oil is applied to the rubber gasket.

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/26/09 04:46 PM

It's a PITA to get your hand up to the filter sometimes, easier to reach with a socket + extension. Don't need to/shouldn't use the ratchet.

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/26/09 07:30 PM

I do take for granted not everyone has tiny little sausage-hands like myself. Apologies.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/26/09 07:52 PM

Rick I can grab mine and twist it off with my hands.

No apologies.

Re: K & N Oil Filters - 01/26/09 07:54 PM

hmm. k.