resonator

Posted by: black99gtp

resonator - 04/13/09 09:21 PM

when I got my tips installed (sorry no pics again, rained pretty much all day, will do it tommorow), the guys let me know that I had a small hole in my muffler (already knew that) and I had two holes in my resonator. I'm going to just put some muffler cement on the muffler hole to bandaid for emission testings coming up.

Haven't done emissions in awhile, but does anyone have experience with trying to do it with a hole in the resonator? I know all situations are different, just wondering if anyone has experience. My ses light is not on, and the noise is not really noticeable.

I want to keep it (don't want it loud inside the car), but does anyone know If I need to replace the resonator what a good price would be, or a good place to get one online? I didn't get a quote when I was there getting the tips welded on, I was in a hurry.

Not looking to spend a ton of money on this, was still hoping (if I have a summer job) to order a 3 inch zzp downpipe in july/august.

any thoughts/ideas?
Posted by: jorgs_7

Re: resonator - 04/13/09 10:25 PM

just take it out and dont bother with it.
Posted by: StreetShaker

Re: resonator - 04/13/09 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
just take it out and dont bother with it.
I disagree. Have a glass pack put in, or you can drop the coin on another ressy.
Posted by: black99gtp

Re: resonator - 04/13/09 10:59 PM

how loud is it without it on? I don't want a lot of noise inside the car, I'm too old for that wink
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: resonator - 04/14/09 07:40 AM

with the stock mufflers, it shouldn't be bad, but since your stock mufflers have a hole... Really, since your resonator has a couple holes in it, it should already be kind of loud. Straight pipe will be a similar volume to a holey resonator.
Posted by: 01GTshaner

Re: resonator - 04/14/09 08:22 AM

Ya .. its honestly not that loud, the cabin noise is not noticeable unless you REALLY listen for it. Dim music drones it out for me ...
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: resonator - 04/14/09 08:36 AM

If your emissions test uses a sniffer the holes in the resonator could skew the readings into a failure.

I have a straight pipe and hate it. I cheaped out when my resonator rotted out along the seam. I have ZZPs resonator sitting in the garage just haven't found the time to install it. I have to have it welded in since it's quite abit larger in diameter then the stock piping. frown
Posted by: Grand Prix GTP 51

Re: resonator - 04/15/09 09:50 PM

I have magnaflow's and res delete and it does drone but it's by no means unbearable. I happen to like it like that but im 17 so i could have different preferences than you. I want to put a straight downpipe on to make it even louder. I would just cut your stock res off and be done with it.
Posted by: jorgs_7

Re: resonator - 04/15/09 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Prix GTP 51:
I have magnaflow's and res delete and it does drone but it's by no means unbearable. I happen to like it like that but im 17 so i could have different preferences than you. I want to put a straight downpipe on to make it even louder. I would just cut your stock res off and be done with it.
Im doin' a No res. with No cat. set up, I hope its not too bad, im keepin stock mufflers though, im 17 too hehe
Posted by: 01GTshaner

Re: resonator - 04/16/09 12:13 AM

No cat adds more sound too?
I had no idea how young you were jorgs :p 19 here but you seem to know your fair share about cars !
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: resonator - 04/16/09 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01GTshaner:
No cat adds more sound too?
I had no idea how young you were jorgs :p 19 here but you seem to know your fair share about cars !
Yes, no cat does add sound.

and LOL at the other part.
Posted by: 98 gtp girl

Re: resonator - 04/18/09 02:41 PM

I bought my resonator today when I did the downpipe I paid 50 bux for both to be installed and 52.00 for the res. They found the hole while doing the DP.