SES coolant temp

Posted by: ThunderBat

SES coolant temp - 01/30/07 09:45 PM

my GT threw a code yesterday and I got it checked at autozone..."possible coolant temp sensor bad"...or is this just coming from the fact that the cold weather is here and I'm running a 180 t-stat? I had him reset the code but it came on again a couple days later.
Is it also possible that my "low coolant" light, which has been on for some time is triggering this?
Posted by: crimpton

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/30/07 10:29 PM

What's your temp gauge showing?
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/31/07 06:39 AM

most of the time it stays barely above 160...even after it has warmed fully it rarely goes over 180...I drilled the 180 t-stat before I installed it, could this be the cause of the steady low coolant temp and the source of the thrown code?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/31/07 06:41 AM

yep
Posted by: D

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/31/07 09:31 AM

Yea...since the coolant is always flowing now it can't heat up too the cars running temps. I would just either leave it on till it gets warmer then reset it or put a 180* tstat in there thats not drilled.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/31/07 04:05 PM

T-bat,
The Low Coolant light coming on is probably just a bad sensor in the radiator.

Re: SES coolant temp - 01/31/07 05:34 PM

If the car doesn't warm up enough and from what your saying the temps dont get much over 160 it will throw the light. By the way Tbat you really don't need the drilled tstat on the GT.

The temp guage gets it's temp reading off of the coolant in the block not the radiator.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: SES coolant temp - 02/01/07 03:06 PM

i believe the one in the radiator is just fo the low coolant light

Re: SES coolant temp - 02/01/07 03:27 PM

yeppers
Posted by: UMfan

Re: SES coolant temp - 02/01/07 06:12 PM

I get the SES light for low coolant temps. It goes off periodically on it's own. So I just ignore it for now (until I get a tuner so I can disable it)