Still running premium in your GTP?

Posted by: Cometstorm

Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 07:34 AM

Just wondering, with the super high cost of fuel...if everyone is still running the expensive stuff?

I am...but dang if I'm not tempted to at least step down to mid-grade....

AT 51 years old (happy birthday to ME today)...I don't hardly ever kick the booster in.

Fully stock...2002....20k miles....

Just wondering what everyone else is doing these days.... smile
Posted by: blown_gp

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 07:39 AM

Premium is the way to go,,, anything else would be uncivilized.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 08:35 AM

I still use it. $1.95 in Austin. I say within the next couple of weeks I'll be paying $2.00 a gallon for the first time in my life (39).
I'm tired of having the same conversation with my wife, "why do you use the expensive stuff?". "Because, if I don't it'll run like CRAP!
Posted by: Javier

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 09:51 AM

I paid 1.98 for premium yesterday. I remember when i paid .99 for a gallon of gas.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 11:48 AM

Yep I still run premium even though i now pay 2.09 a gallon.
Posted by: tc

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 11:55 AM

I have two that require top grade. With the GTP getting such good mileage, I'm not considering down grading to 89. By the way, I've paid as low as $.19/gal. P.S. I paid $1.92 last month for diesel! savewave
Posted by: why2kmax

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 12:24 PM

If you have a stock pulley and its not insanely hot and you dont put your foot into it much you can use 89 or 87, esp if you are going to be doing light throttle highway driving and not kill your car.

Friend of mine ran a bonnie SSEI for quite some time on 87 on long highway drives without a problem. Prob got reduced performance though. If you are modded or like to hammer plant your right foot, its prob not a good idea.

Super just broke the $2 mark here in MD. Its hovering around $2.03-2.05 mad
Posted by: Chico

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 06:33 PM

IN thunderbay were at 97cent's a litre i believe thats about $ 3.88 a gallon and your bitching.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 06:53 PM

I need to get you guys to ship some gasoline to me. I paid $2.23 today....

Hence the reason I will be on my motorcycle EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's take premium, but you can't beat 37mpg....compared to 20....

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 09:42 PM

Yep same here. I getting me a little honda rebel 250 for my commute.
Posted by: pontiacmatt98

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 10:13 PM

Well..guess I cant complain too much with you guys..Premium 91 octane runs me 1.82 a gallon with my Sams card..looks like yall need a membership at Sams!! laugh
Posted by: vortec4200

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 10:27 PM

Jeez guys, it's only .20 a gallon over regular. On a standard 15 gallon fill, that's $3.00 a tank!!! When you're paying $30 for a tank, what's an extra $3 ??

Maybe I have too much money to know what to do with, but I don't see premium as that much of a hardship.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
IN thunderbay were at 97cent's a litre i believe thats about $ 3.88 a gallon and your bitching.
Yep we are. At $3.88 a gallon is you who should be screaming. We in the US shouldnt pay "what the rest of the world" pays for gas, the rest of the world should pay what the US does.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/11/04 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vortec4200:
Jeez guys, it's only .20 a gallon over regular. On a standard 15 gallon fill, that's $3.00 a tank!!! When you're paying $30 for a tank, what's an extra $3 ??
It's not just the price of premium, it's the price of gas in general. The price of premium is what most of us go by since that is what we use. This is another arguement that I get into with my wife. She complains about me using premium and I keep telling her that it's not that much more than regular for a tankful, about a couple of dollars. This from a woman who takes $35.00-$40.00 (at 13/15mpg) to fill up her truck with regular...and I'm spending too much on gas.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/12/04 05:59 AM

Right... but this thread is basically asking if you are still using premium, rather than super or regular, to save money. I was just pointing out that it's not that much of a cost savings, especially when compared to how much we're paying. I feel the same way, whether it's regular or premium, it's way too much.

However, when you look at what Europe pays, we're still doing pretty damn good.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/12/04 06:13 AM

It doesn't look like much over regular but back when I bought my GTP in september for me to fill my car from "E" was only $19 now Im touching $30. Now that's an increase. I too have a Sam's club membership only we don't have any Sam's affiliated gas stations around here frown I guess it's time to move out of the woods smile But it sure is nice to put the hammer on the quiet back roads.
Posted by: Marc Harbison

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/12/04 07:10 AM

My wife and I have a CostCo membership and fill up at their pumps. While I can't say I know exactly what brand of fuel it is, I've never seen anything but Exxon trucks filling up the tanks there. We're paying $1.85 for premium (93 octane) and $1.65 for regular unleaded (87 octane). Granted... you have to pay for the membership ($45 a year), but we do a butt load of grocery shopping I buy all kinds of stuff there. I've been very happy with the quality of their products too.

Marc

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/12/04 09:18 PM

Marc, next time you are at Costco, look for Petite brownies. They're just these small, round brownies. They come in a round plastic box and there's quite a few of them in there. You won't be disappointed, I promise. My friend gets them and everyday I regret buying my BJ's membership.
Posted by: terapinn2000GTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/13/04 01:58 AM

It is floating around $2 for 93 around here. The extra cost does suck. I could be on E and put 5 in and get over a 1/4 tamk now i have to put in 10 to get over a 1/4. I rarely fill my tank up cause im always poor. But with my mods and daily city driving I would never use anything less than 93
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/04 12:53 AM

well, our gp is usually running on plus gas instead of premium. everything on it is stock other than the k&n air filter. she runs the same with no ill effects. i'll usually try and put premium in it every so many tanks just to run some through it if there's a deal on it or just feel like it.

it might just be an extra $3, but if you're having to fill up a lot, it'll add up. plus when you have other vehicles that take $50+ to fill up(04 f350 diesel) and a 87 toyota pickup that for some reason sucks the hell out of some gas, your gas bill becomes big for the month.

imo though, if you want to run plus, run it!

oh yeah, premium is about $2 gallon on average. most places a little higher, and some a little cheaper.
Posted by: 4 T 8 states

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/04 01:05 PM

i have depended on the motion lotion to pay my bills a long. even though the cost of it is high i sure some of you remember the good old days like i do (los angeles) born and raised in the 70`s when you heard of tanker trucks gettin hijacked and havin gun fights at the fillin station when it ran out of gas after a person been in line over 4 hours ( do you remember odd and even). were paying a higher price but at least you dont have to wait or risk your life trying to get it. hammer even though its expensive its plentifull cool
Posted by: Bryan R

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/20/04 10:15 PM

Hey AustinGTP, how much is gas on Caeser Chavez, near the airport? I was in Austin in april, and I was driving down Caeser Chavez to get to the airport. I past a gas station that was selling gas for $1.32, when it was already more than $2.00 a gallon here in Portland.

I stopped bitching when I went to Korea last week on business. Gas is $5.00 a gallon there.

Sometimes I ponder getting a couple hundred gallon drums, and start stockpiling gas. But then my wife nags me that she doesn't want our house to burn down. devilsmile

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/20/04 10:33 PM

Just hit $2.09 for premium here. Except for one little store that sells only 89 and 93. The 93 is $2.01 and the 7-11 right by is $2.06 for 91. There was a line for gas there. Until this week i rarely saw a customer at the store.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/21/04 12:04 AM

A couple of days (Monday?) ago I filled up at $2.03. I had less than a half a tank left tonight and I wanted to fill it up. Went to the same place tonight, $2.13.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/21/04 07:23 AM

Here in maine 93 octane just hit 2.25 a gallon frown next grade down is 89 lol at 2.18 and 87 at 2.11

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/21/04 03:02 PM

Wednesday it was $2.12, today $2.17 for super at my local ammoco. UGH

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/22/04 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by why2kmax:
Wednesday it was $2.12, today $2.17 for super at my local ammoco. UGH
Hey that's cheap! crazy I just paid $2.49 at Chevron, here in Vancouver, WA. I remember when I first bought my GTP back in 98', premium was only $1.24 at this same chevron frown
Posted by: zachd

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/22/04 06:02 PM

Instead of looking at the price of gas we need to look at what we are getting for it,,,,,,,nothing other than some hammer time.

Is what they should be doing is putting in high speed electric trains between big towns. That would be better than drive 10 hours to see family when you can do it in 4 hours and not have the polluting affect of airplanes, but instead corporate america is bending us over and we are starting to get sore really it hurt when i woke up this morning......

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/22/04 06:19 PM

Zachd I have thought of the same thing for some time now. Europe uses those bullet trains that go over 200 miles and hour and are safe to us and the environment. Sure would make it easier for me to get to dallas and denver to see my family.
Posted by: blown_gp

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/22/04 10:52 PM

the oil industry would never allow that to happen here on the states.
Posted by: Koroshiya

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/24/04 03:38 PM

i would never run less then 92 in my car. i did it once and it ran like crap. 2 days ago i piad 2.56 for 92 and htat was on base where its cheaper then out in town.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 12:48 PM

Exactly, the oil controls everything, its so obvious look at what our president has riding on oil. Everything. I have family that ranges from 500-1000 miles out. and if i could go 200 miles an hour to get there it would be sweet. I would see them more. IF we are going to have to pay more for gas we should also get higher speed limits. I think we should have a sysem a lil more like germany. No speed limits but you have to pace yourself with the rest of the traffic. If i could just drive like 90 -100 without the feer of getting tossed that would even make it better shave off a few hours. Plus i have ran a few trips in my old gp at those speed shhhhhh.... and it still got 24.5 on the DIC tot eh gallon. Thats just my 1.98 worth here in evansville indiana.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 04:48 PM

You guys who are running plus rather than premium: make sure you save up your money with your cheap gas - you'll need it for when you're buying a new engine.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 05:48 PM

In Mexico Premium costs around 4 usd the gallon, plus we do not have the salaries of USA is very expensive.
Besides that premium here is not as good as yours.

cheers

Alex.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 06:44 PM

I can run the cheap ****. I have a Poorman car becuase of the gas prices. Damn wish i would have looked at that diesel jetta.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
I think we should have a sysem a lil more like germany.
Isn't it Germany that bases their traffic fines on a percentage of your annual income?
confused

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 07:18 PM

Yeah they sure do, i think its a great idea unless i where rich, but my friend he is in his 50's has a vette and he gets tickets left and right and doesnt care becuase he can afford to pay them off and pay the increased insurance. I think our country shoudl be stricter on who gets there liscenses as well. There are plenty of people that do not deserve to drive. IM done venting the reason i said all this is almost got sideswiped on my way to work yesterday.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
There are plenty of people that do not deserve to drive.
AMEN!!!
Posted by: Jizz

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 08:33 PM

I paid $2.29 for Sunoco Ultra 94 a few days ago. The Premium 93 was at $2.19. I will never put anything in my ride but Premuim. And Ultra if I can get down to the Sunoco, which is a bit out of my way.

I had a Avalanche 1500 a few months ago... talk about bad on gas!!! That dang thing was getting about 11-13mpg frown -- it had to go!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 10:15 PM

Amen stretch our gas supply. my cuz just bought a 2500hd w/ the 6.0 and he gets 13 best.....he wanted to drive on the next road trip and i back handed him....hehehe

hammer

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
I had a Avalanche 1500 a few months ago... talk about bad on gas!!! That dang thing was getting about 11-13mpg frown -- it had to go!
My wife drives a Dodge Ram Quad Cab, 11-13 is exactly what she's getting. no
I hate that truck. mad

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/25/04 10:57 PM

Its sad, me and my family are taking the durango on a road trip ( i need phone numbers in case we break down!!) and it gets 15 solid no matter what. highway city. thats it. and it doesnt have much leg room. i told my dad for the same amount of gas we can take my prix and my sisters grand am. Aint that a bitch........But as a 'family' vacation we will all be stuck in one vehicle that has no leg room and sucks it faster than a hoover. ahh wellll...
Posted by: Dawnthomas76

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/02/04 02:11 AM

banghead Here in colorado springs, we are at about 2.23 a gallon for the good stuff.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/02/04 02:54 AM

I really would have liked to purchase a GTP when I bought my car, but the only one I had found was $5k more...I dont regret not getting one cuz I'm very, very happy with my GT...but had I purchased a GTP I would be popping for the good stuff even at these prices. I used to own a Taurus SHO several years ago and premium was recommended for that engine. It would run on mid-grade but the power loss was sickening...and that engine wasnt force fed. I cant imagine the performance loss on a 3.8SC on mid-grade fuel.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/02/04 08:40 AM

It's leveled off a little here, $2.10 for 93 octane. been there for about a week or so.
Posted by: jvojr

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/02/04 09:16 AM

So many issues to address. Sorry about the length.
1. We should be allowed to drive 100 mph provided your car can pass a high speed inspection.
2. Fines are outta control. It's the dept of finance that sets the fines. It's a budget thing and the punishment never fits the crime. $110.00 for a 25 cent expired meter in NY is the real crime.
3. Insurance co's should not be allowed to base their premiums on tickets, it's wrong. If you've had many claims and losses that they had to pay is one thing. They shouldn't have the right to bump you 30% because of a speeding ticket. An organization needs to be created to address this insessant(sp?) ticketing, fining, and premium bumping travesty. Thousands of members could influence voting and law making. Afterall, we're the ones voting the people into office that make these laws.
4. High gas prices and the Bush family seem to be closely related. The last time this country had record high gas was during the first Bush administration; as well as a recession and stock market crash. Drill the hell out of Alaska. If it will reduce our dependence on the Middle East and lower prices by at least a buck a gallon, then I'm all for it.
5. Automakers need more cars and trucks with high mpg diesel engines. With them, SUV's would be getting around 30mpg. And stop charging thousands more for that option. My father's Jetta gets 45mpg with the air on. A diesel Durango? Sounds great.
Posted by: Adam S.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/02/04 10:32 AM

Here in Milwaukee we're at $2.19 for the CHEAP stuff! Damn...

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 01:45 AM

Our gas is back down to 1.88 in tghe good eville. thats for the cheap stuff, i get no difference with anythign higher......I agree with jjovr......on everything....except drilling the hell out of alaska, that should be a last resort, there is no shortage of oil, the problem is with the corporations, they lose a manufacturing plant and do nothing to fix that problem. Plus im a big outdoors person and alaska already has to much in it and needs no more.......

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
So many issues to address. Sorry about the length.
1. We should be allowed to drive 100 mph provided your car can pass a high speed inspection.
2. Fines are outta control. It's the dept of finance that sets the fines. It's a budget thing and the punishment never fits the crime. $110.00 for a 25 cent expired meter in NY is the real crime.
3. Insurance co's should not be allowed to base their premiums on tickets, it's wrong. If you've had many claims and losses that they had to pay is one thing. They shouldn't have the right to bump you 30% because of a speeding ticket. An organization needs to be created to address this insessant(sp?) ticketing, fining, and premium bumping travesty. Thousands of members could influence voting and law making. Afterall, we're the ones voting the people into office that make these laws.
4. High gas prices and the Bush family seem to be closely related. The last time this country had record high gas was during the first Bush administration; as well as a recession and stock market crash. Drill the hell out of Alaska. If it will reduce our dependence on the Middle East and lower prices by at least a buck a gallon, then I'm all for it.
5. Automakers need more cars and trucks with high mpg diesel engines. With them, SUV's would be getting around 30mpg. And stop charging thousands more for that option. My father's Jetta gets 45mpg with the air on. A diesel Durango? Sounds great.
My Response:
1. If some people are driving 100 mph on the same road that others are driving 70, that's a problem. Keep everyone at the same speed, and you'll never have any accidents.
3. so are you saying that someone with 5 speeding tickets for 60 in a 25mph takes the same risks as someone with a clean record? That's crazy. Yes, some tickets can be stupid, but the insurance co.'s need to base their rates on something, and # and severity of tickets isn't too bad (in addition to claim history). If they didn't use tickets, then safer drivers would have to pay higher premiums to make up for the agressive drivers.
4. B.S. It doesn't matter WHERE the gas comes from, it all costs the same. Gas that is pumped from Texas costs the same as gas that comes from Saudi Arabia. It's a commodity in a worldwide market. Gas is higher than before for several reasons, but it's a supply and demand issue. If the demand is still there at a higher price, then so be it. Worldwide demand is increasing at a great rate right now (CHINA!!!)
5. Automakers will build whatever the public wants. If demand is there for desiels, automakers will build it. Right now, people want large trucks. The big 3 build them! If people demand compact cars instead of trucks, they'll build them. But I don't see that happening. Plus, nobody wants deisels because of the 'dirty' connontation they have, even though they are much cleaner than ever before.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 06:10 PM

Opinionation (is that a word) will drive most of this post. But everyone has there opinion. What happened to your second statement vortec??? just wondering....As for the speeding part, i speed everyday, I have never been in a wreck havent been close, Except when i wasnt moving at a STOP light and someone ran into me, But there is proof that you can have vehicles traveling at different speeds sometimes at large gaps between speed and have a safe driving environment. our problem is not with the speed that we are driving, but rather the people that don't understand the use of the correct lanes I e to pass, so I will disagree with the fact that if everyone drives the same speed there will be no wrecks. NEXT PEEELLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 06:18 PM

Just to get back on post subject.....

BTW gas dropped to 1.84 today...

( Did I get us started on this tangent about what we are getting for gas?)

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 07:24 PM

Great debate! Possibly cause for a new topic. BTW, 93 is $2.25 by me.
Jack

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 07:55 PM

The thing that baffles me about gas prices is this: the price of oil hit $38.00/barrel in 1981 yet the price of gas was still at about a dollar per gallon. Today, the price of oil is the same, yet the price of gas has gone up to over two dollars a gallon. Refining productivity and technology today is way beyond that of 1981. So why has the cost of gas doubled?
Jack

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 08:21 PM

Supposedly it is the lack of Gas refining not the lack of oil......

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 10:41 PM

I heard that one reason for the high gas prices is that some of the refineries have shut down for routine maintenance. How long does this last, have no idea.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/03/04 10:45 PM

And some of them broke, burnt went on strike...
Posted by: SprChrd01

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/15/04 04:13 PM

Here in Cali I'm finialy under the 2.40 mark to 2.39 woohooo

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/15/04 05:30 PM

I picked up a new truck so I'm done with premium fuel. Unfortunately, because of the lower gas mileage, my gas bills haven't changed.

Gas is still high in New England. It's a strange feeling to get almost $10 worth of gas into my motorcycle.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/15/04 08:28 PM

We went below $2.00 here!
Filled up over the weekend and paid $1.98/gallon for premium.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/16/04 01:13 AM

Yeah Zachd..Ive got something to add to the statement about everyone driving the same speed..If there are any NASCAR fans here, youll know what Im talking about..At Daytona and Talledega, they run speeds of 190-195 mph. Now, of course thats a different driving environment than, lets say I-75 here or in Atlanta at 5pm, but it utilizes the same concept: If a pack of cars are all running the same speed, then more than likely something is going to happen, be it a flat tire, or a bobble or something..its hard for everyone to run the same speed and keep from bumping into one another. Okay Im sure a lot of you are confused by what Im saying here, but I agree with Zachs statement above b/c if the people who are running a faster speed are allowed to go by the slower cars, then this makes for a safer driving environment than..lets say..a pack of 35-40 cars at Talladega running 190mph; hence, the purpose of the fast lane. Surely that scenario doesnt seem related to what were talking about here, but it does give you an idea..Think about it.. cheers
Posted by: Chico

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/16/04 03:21 AM

In thunderbay we just hit $1.01 a litre thats $4.04 a gal.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/16/04 09:46 PM

down to 2.18 a gallon now here. So it's either 25 dollers a fill up in the car 42 dollers a fill up in the truck or 4 dollers a fill up for the bike. Let's guess which vehicle I use for my daily commute. smile
Posted by: SpeedGallo

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/20/04 02:39 PM

I Paid $2.55 A Gallon For The Good Stuff in Los Angeles. This Is Just Sick. I Should Just Buy A Jet. eek

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/20/04 03:35 PM

Down to $2.09 for Super NE of Baltimore.
Posted by: quark_man

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/24/04 11:50 AM

I was curious as to the green vehicles, and there are a few sites about this. The best was the VW Lupo , only available in Europe which gets 90 mpg (diesel) and VW is going to have a 4 door sedan ready by the end of this year that will do 140 mpg. Japanese are trying hybrids in the range of 50-70 mpg AND the big three have improved their mileage from an avg of 15 to 18!!! PATHETIC. The entire idea of supply and demand (if anyone stil believes this crap especially with steel shortage and oil prices I think they need to bang their heads against some concrete) flies out of the window! its not what the public wants and we will supply, but what we will supply is what the public wants. Look at the supply of energy alone in north america. Natural gas prices are though the nose yet how many Cogen plants are beeing built. Refineries are not that profitable so there is few of them even though the need for gasoline is huge but refining is a low profit area of oil... its a funny world.

My 3 cents
Posted by: EnYgMa

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/24/04 12:34 PM

Hey guys,

I agree...with it all. Just a couple of points:

pontiacmatt: the funny thing about your post is that the L67 qualifies as a LEV.

quark: If I remember correctly you're up in the oil sands area, what are the gas prices where you are?

I'm just south of you a few hundred kilometres in Edmonton - our prices just dropped to 81.4 for regular which should mean 91 or 92 cents a litre for premium.

The unfortunate thing here though is that the highest octane we can get is 91. I think there's one station (Mohawk/Husky) that offers 92 but they've got that ethanol-blended gas, and I'm not going to try that in the Falcon. I don't know what the experience has been for some of you others with this type of gas.

Alberta has some of the deepest oil sands. I agree with an earlier post saying that we should be paying less because, hell, it's mined here! However, I understand that it's a worldwide commodity and it's organizations like OPEC and the Bush Admin that sets the prices and economy for our oil and gas. It's unfortunate but I suppose we'll see what happens in the election for our American bro's.

hammer even though it's pricey, just because it's summer!

PS I got my 3.4 installed - love it! FWI this weekend! So happy that GTP's all paid off!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/24/04 09:50 PM

hmm Enygma...funnier thing is..I dont see an LEV label anywhere on my car... wink

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/24/04 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pontiacmatt98:
hmm Enygma...funnier thing is..I dont see an LEV label anywhere on my car... wink
Funny my 98 and my 04 had one....you got ripped

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnYgMa:
PS I got my 3.4 installed - love it! FWI this weekend! So happy that GTP's all paid off!
If you really want to make that 3.4" work well, get a PCM.
WEE HAA!!!
You'll be amazed at the difference.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 10:34 AM

Hey AustinGTP,

I plan to get the PCM!! But I will have to wait a while!! Going to India in January $$$!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 11:28 AM

Prices are very affordable on them now.
You'll love it!
I'm freaking thrilled with mine, hell it's almost like having a whole different car with the improved throttle response.
And the best part is, when my wife gets in, I just take off the Perf mode and it's like driving and almost stock car. She has no idea I have a new PCM!
crazy

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 11:45 AM

[/QUOTE]Funny my 98 and my 04 had one....you got ripped [/QB][/QUOTE]
Well it still runs just fine..if I wanted a LEV. Id bought a Prius or a Corolla..two different cars for two different purposes.. wink

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pontiacmatt98:
Funny my 98 and my 04 had one....you got ripped [/QUOTE]
Well it still runs just fine..if I wanted a LEV. Id bought a Prius or a Corolla..two different cars for two different purposes.. wink [/QB][/QUOTE]

Just making a point......

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 05:16 PM

Austin! That's hilarious!!! hammer on your @$$!!!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 06:24 PM

You got that right.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 09:46 PM

Ha Ha unless you have one of those wifes that like to race your car, my budy let his mom borrow his mustang and she left the house in a victorious display of smoke!!!!!! watch out for those women they can drive to.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 10:01 PM

Yeah... lol lol

The last time my wife left with my car she told me how impresive those Mercury Marauder's are. When I asked how she knew she told me how one just beat her
mad mad
I told her "get out of my car", and she hasn't been in the drivers seat since.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 06/25/04 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Yeah... lol lol

The last time my wife left with my car she told me how impresive those Mercury Marauder's are. When I asked how she knew she told me how one just beat her
mad mad
I told her "get out of my car", and she hasn't been in the drivers seat since.
Ouch,,,,,,I beat a maruader on my moped....
Posted by: Vinnie....

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/02/04 08:42 PM

$2.45 in NYC...ANd its only 93* octane.....

-v

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/02/04 09:50 PM

Only 93 you cant get higher unless you get a race gas, btw we are at 190 for high 93 ocatane. You want me to ship you some gas haahahaha

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/02/04 09:55 PM

I filled up the other day at 1.94 for premium. We appear to be going down on price here. Highest was 2.13.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/04/04 07:10 PM

I paid 1.99 here the other day. Boy was I happy keep comin on down. smile

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/04/04 07:23 PM

Saw a place last night...$1.84 for premium!
Posted by: Shadows Owner

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 12:52 AM

i had ONE tank of reg and that was it for shadow. nuffin but the best for that boy:)

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 11:46 AM

Only premium in the Falcon...just as the signature goes...however, our premium is 91 octane!
Posted by: GdGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 12:36 PM

$1.99 here in Nebraska for 92 is the highest you can get....

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 06:30 PM

I just read a article in this Months Car and Driver that breaks down the gas prices and why they are the way they are. Definately a good read!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 06:30 PM

Isnt it funny how we are all elated at premium coming down under $2.00 a gallon when 6 months ago we were outraged that it had climbed OVER $1.80.

Once again, they get away with "getting us used to" paying higher and higher prices without a fuss. it sux

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 07:46 PM

I heard that the reason gas prices are dropping is because maintenance has been completed on all of the refineries that were shut down and now they are up and running again.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/05/04 08:11 PM

Hmmmm the article in car and driver indicates that several different areas of the united states use a different blend of gas. And that currently as quoated from car and driver the Colonial pipeline company has 147 differnet fuels throught there network. Including Diesel and jet fuel. And also that the low sulfur emissions rules have been loosened up for political its almost time to vote reasons. Its really a good article i don't know if it is on the website or not Car and Driver but it was written by Patrick Bedard. Check it out is very interesting.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 10:56 AM

Hmph, between what's being pumped out of Alberta, Alaska, and Texas - the US and Canada should be self-sufficient for oil and we should be making our own lower prices...

But that's just angered opinion not taking the world economy, treaties, partnerships, etc into account.

What we should do!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 11:23 AM

From what I understand, Texas sells most of it's oil. More money is made from selling it. This is just what I've been told for years, whether it's true or not I don't know.
confused

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 11:36 AM

Don't forget about the oil we are not drilling for in ANWR and the Gulf of Mexico. Damn tree huggers frown frown

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 12:57 PM

Bunch'a'hippies!!!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 01:19 PM

Quote:
Hmph, between what's being pumped out of Alberta, Alaska, and Texas - the US and Canada should be self-sufficient for oil and we should be making our own lower prices...

But that's just angered opinion not taking the world economy, treaties, partnerships, etc into account.

What we should do!
Well for one there is not enough oil in alaska and texas for us gas guzzlin bitches to drive much more then 7 years on. if that long. This is why we buy our oil from people else where, because we don't have enough crude to live on. Unless we ever start doing what they do in canada, they have oil that is trapped in sand and they can refine that shit, now we have a lotta that but its very expensive to do, we researched it at one time and then quit. so go figure.....we will never be self sufficient on oil unless it all is synthetic.......

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/06/04 01:39 PM

Actually they're refining it as we speak. I think Quark lives up there in Fort McMurray, Alberta where they're doing that. I'm a few hundred miles south of there. The refineries are here in Edmonton.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/07/04 10:14 PM

Quote:
Actually they're refining it as we speak. I think Quark lives up there in Fort McMurray, Alberta where they're doing that. I'm a few hundred miles south of there. The refineries are here in Edmonton.
Yeah i read that the canadians are doing this already in TIME magazine. I read that some us companies looked into and ran. I don't rememebr the numbers but there was a crap load of oil that could be harvested this way.
Posted by: TexasGP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/07/04 11:06 PM

Premium gas today in Houston was $1.00!!!!!!!
so was mid-grade and regular. It was a special a gas station had for it's 50th anniversary. Guess who filled up and bought about 15 gas gans to fill!!!!!!!!!! Also chowed down some free dogs and then put the hammer down. They only had it going on for about 50 minutes....One minute for every year......to bad it wasn't the 100th anniversary....coulda bought more gas cans!!!!!

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 02:38 AM

I remember watching Mr. Wizards World as a kid, and them talking about a process to turn coal into oil. They said we already developed the process, it just costs much more than importing oil. They said if we turned coal into oil, the US would exceed the middle east in oil production, and have "plenty" of oil for at least a century or more... Wonder if it was true usa

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 11:07 AM

You never know. Something has to be done though. This strangle-hold that the middle east has us in for oil is ridiculous.

Either that or switch everything to natural gas or hydrogen - however, the oil companies won't allow for that.

It's weird though. Being from Alberta and hearing how much oil is mined everyday it's surprising that we wouldn't be able to sustain ourselves. Plus, when we were in Alaska a couple of years ago, we checked out the Alaska pipeline, and the amount (millions of tonnes!) that gets pumped through there, again it's surprising.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 06:09 PM

when it comes to Fort McMurray, the price is 89.9 for regular. As for oil, at this point Fort Mac pump 864,000 bbls per day of oil. Not too shaby for a place most people don't hear from and that has the oil reserves many times that of Saudi Arabia.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 06:13 PM

This is getting a little redicolous, go drive in Europe with a car like ours and then complain about gas prices.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 06:26 PM

zachd, where does US have Tar sands? Just curious ( I am a senior area coordinator for one of the plants up here ). Also, when it comes to the costs of production it is obviously less expensive to pump the liquid stuff. However, as our COO said there is a big difference between securing an oil source and a secure oil source for North America which the Tar Sands are. I stated above many times but the numbers are in hundreds of billions of barrels ( some estimate trillions ). Lease C-13 alone has a 25 year lifespan with a maximum of 250,000 bbls a day.
The cost again, ranges between the plants from $ US 9-13. There are a few plants that are able to eventually decrease their operational cost to$ US 6.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/08/04 06:39 PM

Even if we were self sufficient, it wouldn't do jack for our gas prices. Just look at the UK. I remember reading that that they are self sufficient. However, they sell oil on the world market just like everyone else. So if the world price of oil goes up, so does the price of their local oil.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 07/09/04 12:34 PM

Well the UK also taxes the living Hell out of their gas to support all the social welfare and medical programs, as well as probably trying to discourage people from driving.

I say keep the ANWR and the gulf of mexico in reserve so if the world decides they dont like us anymore and stops selling us oil, our planes can still fly and tanks can still roll if need be.
Posted by: MsBehavior

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 09:38 AM

I just had to resurect this post. Look at the prices being complained about..... I just paid $4.00 a freaking gallon for gas.

Is it really that bad to run cheaper gas in the GTP's? Like blow up the engine bad??
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 10:13 AM

the timing is going to be retarded. I wouldnt risk my pistons for a few bucks a week.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 11:37 AM

If you run lower octane fuel your motor will not run at it's optimum requiring more fuel or unburnt fuel and will actually hurt your wallet in the long term with poorer mpg. I know around here 93 is 20 cents more per gallon and at 10 gallons it's only two bucks more per gallon.
Posted by: BoostenGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 11:42 AM

premium is a must on our cars, just paid 4.02 a gallon here.
Posted by: palsut

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 11:55 AM

Thank god for my SE model for unleaded fuel only laugh
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 01:07 PM

There's also GM's claim that running non-premium causes your engine to run hotter, aggravating the engine-catch-on-fire issue. Just say no to non-premium unless you want to pull your supercharger belt.
Posted by: Arcxnus

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 01:09 PM

I don't understand what the big fascination with stepping down in fuel is. Do the math, you won't save barely ANYTHING.

So just use premium.

Unless you want to use that two bucks you 'saved' to pay for an engine replacement, or a new car.

That is all. shocked
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
There's also GM's claim that running non-premium causes your engine to run hotter, aggravating the engine-catch-on-fire issue. Just say no to non-premium unless you want to pull your supercharger belt.
hmmm... that doesnt seem to make sense

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 02:00 PM

My assumption would be increased detonation gives increased temperatures. No idea if that's actually true. I just found it interesting that GM mentioned this in their recall notice.
Posted by: SlickGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 02:06 PM

Zalfrin,

Your on the right track... I don't know all the specifics though.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
I still use it. $1.95 in Austin. I say within the next couple of weeks I'll be paying $2.00 a gallon for the first time in my life (39).
I'm tired of having the same conversation with my wife, "why do you use the expensive stuff?". "Because, if I don't it'll run like CRAP!
Wow... I wish I were still facing the issue of gas soon hitting $2.00/gal.
Posted by: Acefighter

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
If you run lower octane fuel your motor will not run at it's optimum requiring more fuel or unburnt fuel and will actually hurt your wallet in the long term with poorer mpg.
You know, that's what y'all keep saying, but I swear when I used to use regular unleaded, I got better & more consistent gas mileage. I get 17-17.5 now, but it was 18.5 back then. And I did the math, I didn't just read what the DIC said. I even baby it more now, too...
Posted by: RooK

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 03:19 PM

Yeah, run regular... then force the tranny to downshift when you're passing someone: "Sorry Mr. Piston, I didn't mean to make you pop!"

Seriously, don't risk engine damage because you want to save $2 a fillup. You'd be better off trading someone your GTP for a GT.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 04:22 PM

I thought a higher octane really just meant the fuel was (for lack of better words) cleaned more. Less little particles and such floating around.

With my other cars, I got better gas miles running the cheap stuff than I did the more expensive. But I don't have the gutts to try running the cheap stuff in my car. I really don't want to blow the car up.

Thanks all. Still funny to see people complaing about $2.60 a gallon. Right now I'll take it!

Erika
Posted by: GrandBoost98

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 05:19 PM

over $4 here in CT. but i cant step down to mid-grade, like everyone said, its not worth it in the long run
Posted by: Spartan

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 05:19 PM

Wow, being 17 i've only been driving for a year and a half now, and 1.95 a gallon would be amazing, i could actually pay it off on my grocery bagging salary instead of getting help form mom and dad. 2.50 and up is all i've ever known
Posted by: RooK

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 05:45 PM

I started commuting to the university when it was around $1.20/gal. I'm graduating this May and it's $3.59/gal. I remember freaking out when it was getting close to $1.50/gal.

The fact were used to it sucks.
Posted by: *Nice-Try*

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 06:24 PM

Well I just paid $1.32 Liter for 94. So you do the math.
This sucks but what you do??? none of us are will to jeperdize our performance so I guess they get richer we get poor... At least I get a smile when I turn my Key!
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 06:56 PM

Heh, I remember when Sunoco Ultra 94 was $1.67/gal, and spending $4-$5/gal meant you were buying Cam2 or VP fuel, because you were bringing something special to cruise night, and felt like splurging... hammer

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 10:13 PM

When I first started driving, I remember gas being$.80- $.99 cents. God I feel old right now.

Your right. What can you do. I feel for those who run diesel.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/25/08 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsBehavior:
I thought a higher octane really just meant the fuel was (for lack of better words) cleaned more. Less little particles and such floating around.

With my other cars, I got better gas miles running the cheap stuff than I did the more expensive. But I don't have the gutts to try running the cheap stuff in my car. I really don't want to blow the car up.

Thanks all. Still funny to see people complaing about $2.60 a gallon. Right now I'll take it!

Erika
Octane is the fuels resistance to combustion under compression. The higher the number the harder it is to burn.
Posted by: brown

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/26/08 03:26 AM

When I got my first car gas was $1.78. I thought that was a crazy price. My dad bought me my first tank of gas and I felt bad that he was paying that much for gas.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/26/08 09:59 AM

14 gallons isn't alot of fuel. The truck takes 20 gallons frown
Posted by: Biker803

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 04/26/08 02:40 PM

I just paid $3.76/gallon to fill up for Sunoco Ultra 93. It's actually the lowest I can find within a 50 mile radius, seriously (Southeast PA). I hate the prices, but really it's sad to say, I don't think I will mind paying it as much after I get my new exhaust, suspension, smaller pulley, and tune done. I'll be enjoying the ride too much. hammer

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/13/08 10:15 PM

the only reason why GTP's require higher octane fuel is due to temperatures developed by the S/C. Higher the octane the higher the temps can be without knocking due to flame fronts being formed in the cylinder before the spark ignites the mixture. Just try going uphill with the S/C whining like a cat in heat and see why at least 91 octane gas is needed. In FACT the lower the octane the "better" the gas as more explosive it is. However notice European fast cars they require gas in the high 90's and low 100's!!! compared to gas in Europe we are dirt cheap
Posted by: lonezergling

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/08 02:37 AM

Premium is over $4.00 by me. I think it was $4.01 when I drive past. Diesel was $4.44.
Posted by: 98greenGT

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/08 08:18 PM

Regular is toying with $4.00 around here...

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/08 11:23 PM

Still 3.80ish for premium around here

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/08 11:29 PM

It's been about 3 weeks since I've had to buy any high grade fuel but hopefully all that will change real soon.
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/14/08 11:33 PM

I'm with your Brown. I am only 24, and at 16 I paid $1.23 for regular. I got the 89' vette at age 18 and premium was $1.70ish, and I was like I can't afford this.
Can you believe how much it has gone up in 10 years and how little it went up in 40-50 years.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/15/08 12:35 AM

hahaha listen to us moan about $2/gallon.
Posted by: Papa_Manz

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/15/08 01:59 AM

Holy crap, some of you are only paying around $2? I just had to fill up the GTP at $3.99 a gallon, cost $52.00 all together.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/15/08 07:05 AM

Papa they were reminissing when gas was that much.

On a side note if you go back and look at the rate of inflation and the price per gallon of gas; inflation outpaced the increase of gas by quite abit. I read something about a year ago that if gas increased in cost in relation to inflation over the years that we should in all reality be paying roughly $10 a gallon. I think the thing that hurts is the rate that it has jumped over the last 24 months.

I have a feeling that once the election is over and a new president is sworn in that the dollar will strengthen globally and oil by the barrell will drop to roughly $80 a barrell and our gas prices will drop back to about $2.20 a gallon.
Posted by: RD_GTP03

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/15/08 07:48 PM

Hey You Guys are Terribly Lucky!!! How about if You had to pay something like $3.44 p/gallon for (87) & $3.97 for (93)octane? But, I don't really want to damage the engine, so I have No other choice.

I am Definitely, moving to Texas...Bobby!
Posted by: notladstyle

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/15/08 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RD_GTP03:
Hey You Guys are Terribly Lucky!!! How about if You had to pay something like $3.44 p/gallon for (87) & $3.97 for (93)octane? But, I don't really want to damage the engine, so I have No other choice.

I am Definitely, moving to Texas...Bobby!
Here in Tampa FL gas is 3.75/gal for 87 and 4.05 for premium(93).
Posted by: JPGTP

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/18/08 02:17 PM

All I know is that I'm tired of my gas needle laughing at me when I put in my usual amount. I use to put in $30 and got 3/4 to a full tank now its running me $60 to fill up.... devileek
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/18/08 04:05 PM

This thread is so outdated, its not even funny.
Posted by: lonezergling

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/18/08 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Papa they were reminissing when gas was that much.

On a side note if you go back and look at the rate of inflation and the price per gallon of gas; inflation outpaced the increase of gas by quite abit. I read something about a year ago that if gas increased in cost in relation to inflation over the years that we should in all reality be paying roughly $10 a gallon. I think the thing that hurts is the rate that it has jumped over the last 24 months.

I have a feeling that once the election is over and a new president is sworn in that the dollar will strengthen globally and oil by the barrell will drop to roughly $80 a barrell and our gas prices will drop back to about $2.20 a gallon.
I don't want to start some political debate or anything so I'm just going to say what I want to say and be done.

But I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that electing a new president is going to bring gas back down to $2.xx a gallon.

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/19/08 05:47 AM

When the dollar gets stronger globally and a barrell of oil is below $90 a barrell you'll see. The dollar is at it's weakest right now globally. You'd be surprised what elections do to the global economy.
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Still running premium in your GTP? - 05/19/08 01:40 PM

I'm with Drummerboy, 10 pages.