Pulley Removal

Posted by: bluegtp91

Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 01:58 PM

Hey, I keep reading aticle after article and NEED to know. What is the best move for a smaller pulley. I want a 3.5 an is what I have enough to support it? I have a CAI, U-Bend delete, and Cat delete. My big question is do I have to have a pulley removal tool to get the stocker off or can I pull it off some other way???
Posted by: Jason2000GTP

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 02:27 PM

if you dont want to destroy the stocker and possibly the snout Get the puller tool.. rent it or something.

Do you have a scanner? to scan for knock, O2 values, MAF freq, ect?

I dont suggest going to a smaller pully unless you can scan for the above. most cars can get away with your mods and run a 3.4 or 3.5 but they have too much knock to say its safe. I would add a 3in downpipe if you havent and get a AFC2.0 at the minimum to help richen up the areas you need it.
cause you will need it.
also if you have a lot of miles i would replace the lower motor mounts and pop in some poly mounts up top to help get rid of any false knock from the motor moving.

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 02:36 PM

No I dont have a scanner, but cant I get it scanned for free at a local place that has one? Can I just buy a ZZP PCM and not have to worry about KR. Some people say its safe to run a 3.5 inch with hardly any mods. Is that true?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 02:39 PM

With your mods and a 3.5 I wouldn't sweat it. The GTX was ran with a 3.5 and fewer supporting mods.

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 02:40 PM

sweet, then could I go smaller to a 3.4 or do I need the DP and PCM?
Posted by: Igor

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 03:17 PM

It's highly recommended to have the supporting mods for a 3.4". Plugs, PCM, DP, CAI, t-stat.

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 03:40 PM

If you plan on modding more and dropping pulley sizes I'd recommend an MPS to facilitate easier pulley swaps. You'll still need the pulley tool to remove the old pulley and intall the hub for the MPS.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 03:42 PM

every car is different. You need some sort of scanner to run a 3.4. or have someone that can scan it for you
Posted by: UMfan

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 03:42 PM

I don't know if a PCM really does all that much to lower KR....

It's hard to say if a 3.4 will work without a DP unless you scan it.

For my particular car, I would have had some KR with a 3.4 and those mods.

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 05:29 PM

PCM does help because it richens up the fuel which helps to cool a tad and prevent hot spots which can cause knock
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 06:24 PM

Never use a 3-finger style or anything else that wasn't designed to remove a S/C pulley.

Here's a pic of what the proper puller looks like. If it doesn't look like the one in the pic, don't use it or you''l destroy the pulley without being able to remove it. You could also damage the shaft when using the wrong puller.

Posted by: UMfan

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
PCM does help because it richens up the fuel which helps to cool a tad and prevent hot spots which can cause knock
Thanks. I didn't know if the PCM richened the fuel or not. I thought those fuel tables were calibrated according to driving habits.

Thanks Herc

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 10:04 PM

Thanks guys. Does anyone have a suggestion in where I can pick up a puller tool? Maybe a local parts store or something...

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 10:05 PM

Thanks guys. Does anyone have a suggestion in where I can pick up a puller tool? Maybe a local parts store or something...
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 10:39 PM

I know some of the local guys from KCPMC have one. Post up there and see
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/23/07 11:29 PM

No local parts store will have it. Even some of the dealers don't even have the tool. Buy it, rent it from like ZZP, or borrow one from a local club member is the only way to go.

Re: Pulley Removal - 04/24/07 10:09 PM

thanks, im gonna get the PCM and then a 3.5, just to be on the safe side, since its my DD