1998 Buick regal dash light problem

Posted by: Rose

1998 Buick regal dash light problem - 06/12/06 11:00 PM

I have a wonderful car angel and the other night we were going down the road at dusk and realized that the headlights were on yet we had no dash lights. eek This started about 2 weeks ago. Now tonight I start the car up after dark and the dash lights work.
If you have a Buick or Pontiac you know that the lights I am speaking of are the dash, radio controls, door switches, radio control on the steering wheel. All the “digital readouts”, odometer, radio channel/time, temp readout, and computer readout, still are lit, although when the headlights come on and the dash lights should be on, the digital readouts are dim & not able to see them well.
Since the lights did work tonight, I am assuming that the problem is intermittent and possibly a loose connection. We did check the fuse box. It will cost a fortune to take it to the shop so I am looking for all the help I can get.
cheers Rose
Posted by: framos242

Re: 1998 Buick regal dash light problem - 06/13/06 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rose:
I am assuming that the problem is intermittent and possibly a loose connection. We did check the fuse box.
I think that'll be the reason. The problem will lie finding where. Have you considered a shop that specializes in electrical systems for cars?
Posted by: Grand Prix GT 05

Re: 1998 Buick regal dash light problem - 09/08/06 12:45 PM

this might sound silly, but when you turn on you lights, you might also be turning the knob to dim the dash lights... I'm not sure of the interior of a 1998 Buick, but on my 1993 Bonneville, I occasionally turned the dash lights off when I pulled the knob to turn on the headlights

just turn the knob to see if the dash lights turn on, or at least flicker... might just be that switch that gives you trouble