2nd warranty service

Posted by: zachd

2nd warranty service - 07/06/04 07:15 PM

My car goes in again this week, hopefully, the window seal that was replaced before on warranty is now falling off. The horn button only works when it wants and when it does work it is off and on really quick. So I will let you know what is next on the big bad grand prix. Hopefully this thing is the last time in shop until the first tranny service or alignment. banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead
Posted by: jvojr

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/06/04 09:40 PM

It's a bunch of little things that start to add up. I'm trying to get info about the 04. I'm thinking about trading my 03 in and takeing advantage of the $4000 rebate.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/06/04 10:01 PM

Be careful if you trade off becuase they may rape you because your car is only one year old.
Posted by: Adam S.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 04:27 PM

I was looking into trading in my '02 GT for a new '04 Grand Prix. But, due to the overwhelming amount of used cars out there, and the overall poor resale value of mine, I still couldn't justify it, even if I were to sell mine outright. The sticker price new was $26500 or so, and at 21000 miles last year the dealer was offering me $12000. Even taking into account the almost $4000 rebate and my GM discount, it still wouldn't have been wise. After driving the 04 for the 24hr test drive, I came to the conclusion anyways that the car is not THAT much better, at least not enough to justify going in the financial hole. Do your homework before trading up.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam S.:
I was looking into trading in my '02 GT for a new '04 Grand Prix. But, due to the overwhelming amount of used cars out there, and the overall poor resale value of mine, I still couldn't justify it, even if I were to sell mine outright. The sticker price new was $26500 or so, and at 21000 miles last year the dealer was offering me $12000. Even taking into account the almost $4000 rebate and my GM discount, it still wouldn't have been wise. After driving the 04 for the 24hr test drive, I came to the conclusion anyways that the car is not THAT much better, at least not enough to justify going in the financial hole. Do your homework before trading up.
Your right, it is not that much better. One reason some will tell you how drastically it was changed? The car is not all new like they say. Under neith is nearly identical. Most of the changes where aesthetic, there where a few changes mechanically but nothing that could justify giving away a 21000 mile car for a 2 mile car andmoving only 2 years newer from my standpoint. Dont get me wrong i love my new car, but if it wherent for my old car being wrecked and problems showing through i would still have it.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 06:05 PM

BTW worked late last nite didnt get up to take my car in this morngin, going outta town will take it in when i get back. darn second shift tears you up when you have to get up before 9. specially when you get home @ 12.
Posted by: Jizz

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 08:16 PM

My car is having a problem with the sunroof. I am getting a "clicking", rubbing, creaking noise from right over the driver head.

Had it in the shop twice now...not fixed yet. I take it back in this Wednesday coming up - the 14th.

The dealer is very aware I am upset of the problem but I still think they are kinda passing it off as I should just deal with the noise...

First off I will not "deal" with a noise in a 30K+ car let alone any car I own new. and Second I paid EXTRA for the sunroof!

Maybe thay are being so passive because of the GM discount I received for the car but heck... it still should not click like a Hamster on Crack!.
Posted by: Jizz

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 08:18 PM

Do not get me wrong about the car though....

I LOVE IT!

No problem what-so-ever other than the "hamster on crack" in the headliner.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/08/04 09:11 PM

Yeah, I will have mine back to the shop next week, my horn doesnt work unless i hit the lock button on the key fob and my window trim is pealing up on the back driver door. As for my dealer they seem to make a great effort to rectify anything. The first time the seal was in it didnt leak until it started coming off!!
Posted by: tallpaul

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/11/04 05:46 PM

you guys think yours is bad. let me give you my list of problems.
tires out of balance at 65 to 75 mph
headlamps vibrate at night
inner fender liners replaced due to gap letting dirt in the engine compartment
ac fresh air door stuck closed
replacement of drivers seat back trim and pad hole coming through leather. there is a bulletin out on this
was recalled right after i got it for a loose rt rear brake line at the caliper
rear window was replaced due to inop defogger grids and it was effecting the fm radio due to the antenna being in the back glass bulletin on this too
upper radiator hose clamp had poor tension and the hose blew off on the way home from work one day. and remember i am a gm technican too so dont feel bad gang. these cars are built in canada. not one of my favorite plants.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/13/04 03:35 PM

Yeah my headlights are loose to. Also, when I take my car into the dealer for warranty service can I get a temporary car, is this part of the warranty or just up to the dealer.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/13/04 08:00 PM

service loaners are up to the dealer. the place i work at has them too. but as i said i do all my own work to my car. at least i know its done right the first time. i have been in the gm service bussiness for over 25 years so i know some stuff.
Posted by: Adam S.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/15/04 02:45 PM

Thank you Zach, someone else understands! Everyone likes to rave about the latest and greatest, but I found out as well that the new GP's are not "all new" like some think. It's still on the W platform, like the old ones. The only real major changes are cosmetics, interior, and an aluminum front cradle assembly instead of steel, which is lighter and is supposed to reduce vibration. A couple minor tweaks to the 3.8, and a new supercharger for the GTP's. I wasn't all that bothered by the fact that I wasn't able to get the 04, mainly because besides the interior (which I really don't like) and the overall cosmetic re-styling, there's not enough improvement there to justify spending more money on a basically depreciating asset. Also, the later model 02's and 03's are nearly perfect because of GM slowly taking care of characteristic problems every model year. Now that the car is changed, you're taking on a whole new batch of problems that will probably take 3-5 years for GM to smooth out.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 07/20/04 03:31 AM

Yeah your right. The changes mechanically are very small. A few people around here tried telling me how improved it was and everything and I will be the first to say that overall the car did improve but its still the old car with a new suit. I had a few people tell me that it was built on a new platform i was like WHAATTTT i dont think so. This is my 3rd W-body car and i know a pretty good amount about them but other than my few things i love the car. I would have had a 03 gt but i wanted brand new with no miles so i could keep it for the long haul....JEEESSAASSS i will probably own new again but my next car will not be a brand new car..........
Posted by: ABlackVTXinMD

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/01/04 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
It's a bunch of little things that start to add up. I'm trying to get info about the 04. I'm thinking about trading my 03 in and takeing advantage of the $4000 rebate.
Jack - this is not a bad idea. I got my new '04 GTP w/ the competition package, sunroof, and premium sound for $24.5K + taxes & tags - $26K on the road!! The MSRP was about $31.5K + taxes & tags. Found it through GM BuyPower.
Posted by: InitialDGP

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/08/04 07:10 PM

Again I gotta stress Carmax, 2001GT 3800 series decked out sun roof upgraded sound suspension chrome rims black leather full electronic from seats to heated seats, they even give u a history report which u can back with an inspection of your own by mechanic or yourself. Mine was a fleet car for the 30k it has on it (not rental) for some major company so I checked it out to see if the guy had run it into the ground, found it still had the original tires and no work needed yet, they replaced a few rusted parts from LACK OF USE and other than that was in Mint condition sept for 4 lines forming on the leather on pass and driver side.

While they did the work on it they rented me a protege free and paid for the gas. They fought me on the parts and labor (of course) but in the end agreed. Id go there if your not set on buying a new car. Mine feels new and every time I get in I know it was a smart decision. Jus IMO anyhow.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/08/04 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:
Again I gotta stress Carmax,
when else have you stressed carmax????????what is carmax?????? ahh well...........

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/09/04 12:34 AM

Well I guess someone has to jump on my nuts when I sign up, at any rate Carmax is a used car dealership... nvm actually why dont you just go to www.carmax.com and check it yourself. Enjoy!

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/09/04 12:48 AM

There is a lot more different in just buying a supercharger off of the grand prixstore website. They only swap you M90. It can be done but if you read its very pricey because of the small stuff. yourbetter off with the turbo or a motor swap and tranny swap

well the traction control on a 01 gt has nothing to do with handling...........

and our GTs had 200 crank horses and 220 crank ft lbs. expect about 160 whp range and about 175-180 ft lb @ the wheel approx.......

About that, if you actually read my post, you would probably notice I made no mention to wanting an SC and in fact I stated I saw no point where I then stated I was looking forward to getting a turbo on it shortly.
Posted by: jvojr

Re: 2nd warranty service - 09/09/04 09:55 AM

OK, I've had my 04 for a month now. With 3000 miles on it and no problems yet. Knock on wood. When I bought my 03 a year ago, I had already taken it back to the dealer twice in the first month. I had every intention of keeping it for several years but eventually I realized that it wasn't going to make it. I think I got a good one this time. I'm gonna hold off on the mods for a while except for the Wiz CAI that I still have from the 03. I haven't figured out how to put it in the 04 yet. The intakes are a little different, but I'll figure it out as soon as the rain lets up a bit.
Posted by: BadDog

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/15/04 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tallpaul:
replacement of drivers seat back trim and pad hole coming through leather. there is a bulletin out on this
Any more info on this? My wife's GTP has a small place that has come up in the driver's leather seat and the dealer refuses to do anything about it.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/15/04 08:19 PM

your dealer is dumb. there is a bulletin out on this. ill post you the number tonight.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/15/04 08:23 PM

here is the info.
bulletin # 04-08-50-008 dated march 16th 2004
document id # 1474336

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/15/04 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:
There is a lot more different in just buying a supercharger off of the grand prixstore website. They only swap you M90. It can be done but if you read its very pricey because of the small stuff. yourbetter off with the turbo or a motor swap and tranny swap

well the traction control on a 01 gt has nothing to do with handling...........

and our GTs had 200 crank horses and 220 crank ft lbs. expect about 160 whp range and about 175-180 ft lb @ the wheel approx.......

About that, if you actually read my post, you would probably notice I made no mention to wanting an SC and in fact I stated I saw no point where I then stated I was looking forward to getting a turbo on it shortly.
Where did this come from initial????/I never posted anything about this in this thread?
Posted by: BadDog

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/25/04 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tallpaul:
your dealer is dumb. there is a bulletin out on this. ill post you the number tonight.
I gotta agree with that "dumb" part. I won't go into the whole story, but I've had it with them. Dealers and service deptartments are always a POS, but this one beats anything I've seen before.

Anyway, thanks for the number.

Re: 2nd warranty service - 10/29/04 10:37 PM

I love my dealer ship. BTW my windows are fixed. No issues outstanding on my car at this time!!!! OH DAMNIT oil change time ahhh well that one is expected.
Posted by: wb45039

Re: 2nd warranty service - 02/28/06 08:59 AM

Has anyone gotten the sunroof visor issue fixed?

I have had the car in for this problem, too. I think its the fact that the plastic visor is too thin...plus it has a black color so it gets soft in the sun or when exposed to warm air....

I wonder if there is an aftermarket replacement that is a bit thicker?