From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?!

Posted by: Chew

From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 03:36 PM

Hey all,

What do you guys think GM will change on the show car to make the version that finally makes it to production?

Let's hear it smile
Posted by: Shag Finger

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 03:42 PM

It probably wont get the cool stuff like the wheels, tires, pedals, springs, paint color. Damn shame too since that is most of what I like about it.
Posted by: fas4dr

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 05:06 PM

Hi All,
I was talking with my Pontiac salesman yesterday and he said that the 2003 GP would be different. He had just gotten an update about all the changes to the 2003 models but could not remember the specifics about what the changes are for the GP.
Does anyone here know what he was talking about?
I thought there would not be any changes for 2003.
Posted by: Chris Cattie

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 05:07 PM

We'll let you know after the PE400 when we get our special session with it then I will give you my judgement hammer
-c
Posted by: Marc Harbison

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 05:57 PM

Like Chris mentioned above, Pontiac's gonna have the G-Force at the PE400 for us to look over. I'm sure many of us will be talking with the Brand Manager and other Market types. We'll see if we can get the skinny on what Pontiac's plans may be. Although, they tend to be a bit tight lipped.

Marc

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/01/02 07:03 PM

Will they have the GForce there or a real 2004 production car?

I'm with Jeff on the No Rims and everything cool school of thought, but one can always wish!

usa
Posted by: kcopegp

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/02/02 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shag Finger:
It probably wont get the cool stuff like the wheels, tires, pedals, springs, paint color. Damn shame too since that is most of what I like about it.
I agree about the dress up stuff. I just hope they tone down the nose a little. The grill openings are way too big.

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/02/02 10:53 AM

Some pics to refresh your memory.

Posted by: Chris Jarrett

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/02/02 12:59 PM

If they kept that car exactly how it is, I might mave to think about getting a four door....... laugh

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/02/02 01:52 PM

The car does look really cool the way it is now but GM has a very strong history of removing the cool from production vehicles. It is nice but looks too much like the Bonne. Not that that is a bad thing. I just dont think it will be anywhere near that cool looking when it hits the street.

I personally really want to get back to RWD and V8 so I might be passing up on the next GP.

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/03/02 09:17 AM

Too true, ShagF., however, I'm hoping with Bob Lutz in charge, things will have changed for the better.

Anyway, thats my hope! [Yes!]

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/03/02 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chew:
Too true, ShagF., however, I'm hoping with Bob Lutz in charge, things will have changed for the better.

Anyway, thats my hope! [Yes!]
Oh I am with you all the way. If the next GP were in fact the Holden then I would be all over it. IIRC back in the day the GP was really a rich mans GTO. Why cant we follow that same thinking and have the current SE be the LeMans, the GT would then be the GTO (cloth interior etc) and the GTP would then be the Grand Prix (fully loaded GTO etc.)

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/03/02 10:56 AM

Hey Shag,

If you go to GPG, you may be able to make your suggestion in person!

I dunno who from Pontiac is going to show - but here's hoping! :p

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/03/02 09:36 PM

Oh I definately am going this year...LOL I think BAM still owes me a slap or too that he is waiting to cash in on angel laugh
Posted by: Dan Schulman

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/05/02 11:58 AM

Well since seeing the G-Force seemed to be the most exciting part of the day (no parade lap :-( ) we got a lot of info.

1. The wheels, as many might have guessed, aren't going to make it. It looks like 17's are going to be on the higher models

2. The paint on the showcar is something like a $20,000!!! paint job. That definately isn't going to make it.

3. The headlight, albeit not HID, are supposed to be outstanding. A factor of 10+ on GM's scale, with a whooping 6 on our current headlights.

4. The seats are out of a Holden HSV... those particular seats aren't coming with it, but more supportive seats are coming (than our current)

5. Generation 5 supercharger from Eaton is said what gives it extra hp along with some computer tweaking. Still has a 3.8" pulley.

6. Still had the U-bend according to Ricky!!

7. Will come with a more detailed HUD, although not on the show car

8. Will come with the finger-touch paddle shifters. The computer apparently won't help you shift.. it'll even bounce the redline if you let it until you tell it to shift. Supposed to be the fastest shifting auto-stick type tranny.

9. Will come with a navigation system

10. Many years of improving the Grand Prix even after this car is released. GM's goal is to wipe the floor in the mid-size performance sedan market.

Everyone feel free to add to anything I missed --BD

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/05/02 09:09 PM

Glad to hear of all the changes, Dan.

It is definitely on my radar for my next possible car.

I'm hoping the released version is as good as you guys say and maybe I'll get a peek at the GForce at GPG this year! [Rotate]
Posted by: Chris Cattie

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/12/02 05:36 PM

He did in fact say the 19's will not make it to the production version, but he did say "If you look, you see they fit just fine, 20's would work fine too" The DIC will show a 4 line description for Engine lights. The throttle will also be drive by wire. www.cattie.com/pe400.htm has some pix.
-c
Posted by: vortec4200

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/13/02 09:36 AM

Anyone know what the dial next to the shifter is for? You can see it in this picutre http://www.cattie.com/images/PE400/DCP01103.JPG

My guess is it's for going through the menu's on the new DIC... I'm guessing the DIC will be like what's in the Bravada? With alot of text you can maneuver through... but does anyone know for sure?

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/13/02 10:03 AM

Vortec,

I agree. I think its like a mouse / joystick for the onboard computer. If you have seen the 7 series BMW, I'm thinking that its GM's interpretation of the same thing.
Posted by: Ross St.Clair

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/13/02 01:28 PM

The guys from Pontiac didn't elaborate on that particular feature, so I can't say for sure what it is.

Here's a more close-up view of it:

G-Force Shifter

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/14/02 11:24 AM

I do like the fact that they are going back to deep cup holders like on the 96 I had. That is probably the one thing that I dont like about the current gen.

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/14/02 01:48 PM

I'm glad they're going back to REAL cup holders. You don't realize the importance of something until its gone!

The current gen cupholders can't hold my most of the mobile coffee cups that I use - which can be a pain in the butt!

Well, at least its a sign that Pontiac is listening to the little things as well as the big savewave
Posted by: John Mc

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/16/02 01:17 PM

What kind of wheels are on the G-Force? Are they an aftermarket wheel? Were they 18's? Did you note the tire size? smile

John
Posted by: Ross St.Clair

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 05/17/02 06:46 AM

The wheels are aftermarket and they're 19's. I'm not sure of the tire size; I don't have a clear enough picture of it. I believe the consensus is that 17's will be an option on the G-Force.
Posted by: John55222215445578

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 06/02/02 01:30 AM

Anyone know what month/Year this car will be avilable?

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 08/28/02 10:26 AM

New spy pics of the 2004 GP can be seen here:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5220
Posted by: Redshift

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 08/29/02 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vortec4200:
New spy pics of the 2004 GP can be seen here:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5220
Good shots - thanks for posting. The car's launch is only a few short months away. Good thing lots of mods already work on the car! Don't have to waste time coming up with a lot of new ones.

Some comparo shots:

Posted by: EVIL98GT

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 09/08/02 02:57 AM

dont know if any one has noted this....they are discontinuin the 2 door. how do people feel. its gonna steer me more towards a gto more than n e thang for my next ride unles i move up to a 2 doors 2002 gtp...

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 09/09/02 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EVIL98GT:
dont know if any one has noted this....they are discontinuin the 2 door. how do people feel. its gonna steer me more towards a gto more than n e thang for my next ride unles i move up to a 2 doors 2002 gtp...
Two door vs. four doors steers you towards the GTO? Not the RWD? Or manual tranny? Or... 300+ HP V8? smile I'm not being steered, I'm being DRIVEN towards the GTO for those very things. smile

GTO and GTP are very different animals.
Posted by: Burto05

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 09/16/02 08:14 PM

Hey does anyone know what kind of rims those are on the G-Force?
Posted by: Neo GTP

Re: From showroom floor to street - what will be changed?!?! - 09/30/02 09:59 AM

This was taken from a Toronto news paper on Sat 28/02

Pontiac cleans up Grand Prix sedan

Model gets racing-inspired features, new styling and added versatility
Advertisement:
General Motors revealed its 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix sports sedan (the coupe is gone) this week in Oshawa, where it will start rolling off the assembly line in February and into dealerships by spring.

In general, the new model has about the same dimensions as the current car but has a cleaner look and is supposed to be the most flexible car in the mid-size sedan segment.

According to Peter Bannon, director of sales and marketing for General Motors of Canada, the new Grand Prix "designed for people who want the ultimate in performance, style and handling, but also need the flexibility to transport large or long items.''

As for that new style, Bannon says, it's meant to demonstrate Pontiac's 21st-century contemporary design direction.

Bannon says the car's smooth "Coke-bottle'' sides extend into twin-port grilles with a two-tone lower fascia, while the large, aggressive driving and park/turn lamps accentuate the car's "wide track'' stance.

At the rear, large corner-mounted taillamps integrate into the deck lid and bookend the rear spoiler, while twin-styled dual exhaust outlets are standard on all models.

Grand Prix's interior fabrics and leather are richer and more contemporary, Bannon claims, and that's supposed to give it "a more refined look and feel.''

Also, there are larger analogue gauges with a three-dimensional appearance, and satin nickel accents on the doors, wheels and shifter that "give the car a stylish, upscale feel.''

One of the big changes in the new Grand Prix is the standard Driver Information Centre and optional trip computer and Head Up Display (HUD) units. They feature view-screen reconfigurability with more capability than the previous model, Bannon says.

The HUD features a more readable green backlighting and displays more information, including speed, turn signals, high-beam indicator, warning messages, radio/CD/tape status, ice warning, outside air temperature and compass. An innovative stealth mode for the HUD extinguishes the instrument panel cluster lights, allowing the driver to navigate solely using the HUD.

For 2004, the SE model has been eliminated, and customers can choose from the GT, GTP and GTP with the Competition Group package.

Bannon says the 2004 Grand Prix was designed for best-ever, best-in-class handling in its segment.

For those truly serious driving enthusiasts, Bannon says, the all-new Competition Group (or Comp G) option only on the GTP model provides "maximum grip (0.83 lateral g), the sharpest possible steering response and peak road holding with a firm, yet supple ride.''

Grand Prix is the first GM model to get the latest version of the 3.8-litre V6, called 3800 Series III, which means the base GT model comes with 200 hp and the GTP with 250 hp (at press time) and a best-in-class 280 lb-ft of torque.

"Another racing-inspired feature that is sure to spice up the driving experience is the all-new Formula One-style TAPshift (Touch Activated Power)'' on the steering wheel of the GTP with the Comp G package, says Bannon.

"Drivers can engage a paddle on the steering wheel and switch from the ease of an automatic transmission to the fun-to-drive quality of a manual,'' Bannon says. "The system has the fastest fingertip shifting response in the industry,'' he adds, "and better simulates a manual driving experience than any other car.''

Designers tried to build as much versatility into the Grand Prix as possible, Bannon says, to allow the car to give it some of the range of an SUV.

So rear doors now swing open to 82 degrees, compared to the previous 67 degrees, which makes it easier to enter and exit the car as well as load bulky items, such as TV sets or computers, into the back seat

It's also now easier to load large cargo like bicycles or extra wide boxes into the trunk, because the opening is nearly 25 cm wider, and the lift-over height is almost 15 cm lower.

The 60/40 split-folding rear seats fold nearly flat, extending the load floor well into the interior.

Bannon says a nine-foot kayak and other long items such as skis now fit securely inside the vehicle with the trunk closed, thanks to an optional double-hinged front passenger seat that also folds flat and extends the load floor to the instrument panel.