Any computer people out there?

Posted by: SprChrd01

Any computer people out there? - 12/05/04 06:56 PM

You know when you boot up your computer and you have all this crap that automatilcy starts running and it slows the compter down. How do you disable some of that stuff?? I am running Windows XP thumbsup
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/05/04 07:07 PM

try clicking on the "start" button and then "run"...when the box opens up, type in "msconfig" (no quotation marks)...this should bring up a start up menu of all the programs that windows has been designated to start on boot up...be careful what you disable though because some of the programs are required for the operating system to work properly...you can also go to "control panel" and then "add/remove programs" if there are things you want gone...just remember, uninstall first before you go deleting anything.
hope this helps.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/06/04 12:16 AM

Be careful.
Posted by: JPGTP

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/06/04 02:37 AM

Ya be careful, I deleted the wrong program and had to go back to circuit city to have them put back on the hard drive.
Posted by: Kirmie

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/06/04 01:17 PM

WHOAH! Don't go deleting things if you don't know what they do! MSCONFIG is the way to go and it can help to edit autoexec.bat if you know what you are doing.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/06/04 01:52 PM

try here

pc tech forum
Posted by: SprChrd01

Re: Any computer people out there? - 12/06/04 03:39 PM

Thanks thats really helpful. I knew there was something in the RUN to do it i just couldn't remember