Are you prepared for the first ice storm?

Posted by: 72chevman

Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 12:58 AM

OK guys/gals. I have worked 2nd shift mostly for the last 15 years. I get to scrape windows ALOT. Here are some tips over the years I have learned.

When an ice storm is coming, take a rag and wipe your door seals with silicone spray or cooking spray(Pam). This will keep the water freezing your doors shut. That blue washer fluid is crap. Spend the extra $1 on rainx or other fluids rated for -30 degrees. If you can find an ice scraper with a brass blade BUY IT. The brass will not scratch your windows, but takes the ice off fast, you just can't chop or beat it off or the brass will bend. I also keep a bottle of prestone ice and frost shield in my trunk. I will spray this on my windows, again if I know the ice is coming. The ice will hardly stick. It leaves a kinda oily film, but washer fluid takes it right off. I have tried every windshield cover made to man. They all crack or rip eventually. The problem here is we always get lots of wind with the ice/snow.

Posted by: 4drgt

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 07:09 AM

i hear ya there, i have had to park my car outside since i could drive, and i allways have to get up and leave early in the morning so its scraping windows every morning,,

btw thanks for reminding me to buy an ice scraper, i dont have anything like that thrown into the car yet
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 10:31 AM

I'll just wear a jacket if need be here!
Nice thoughts though!
Posted by: GTPCompG

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 10:33 AM

Good thing my apartment has underground parking, but I got a bottle of that prestone de-icer just in case i ever need it.
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I'll just wear a jacket if need be here!
Nice thoughts though!
thumbsup thumbsup

Agreed.
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 05:53 PM

lol no worryies for me . im garaged:)
Posted by: BoostenGTP

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 07:06 PM

yep i park in a garage, and steve.... SCREW YOU lol. damn southern guys always bashing on us northern guys this time of year frown
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/19/08 08:07 PM

hey we get to ride snowmobiles and get to play in the snow with out 4x4's they cant so i guess thats a advantage
Posted by: 72chevman

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/20/08 08:10 AM

My car is garaged at home. Unfortunately, my car sits outside at work like 99% of people, so that is where I get to scrape all the time. My wife's Monte is in a parking garage at her work. She is so lucky.
Posted by: Baas140

Re: Are you prepared for the first ice storm? - 11/20/08 03:47 PM

Wow that lady on the bottle is happy. I find it hard to believe she is so happy because her window isn't covered with ice. :p

Thanks for the tips Chevman, I'll have to try that stuff out.