Speaker Questions

Posted by: brown

Speaker Questions - 09/29/06 12:35 AM

I want to get a sub or two for my car, but I dont really want get rid of the stock head unit yet. Is it possible to upgrade the amp I have powering my back bose speakers to power a couple subs or even get one sub and tie it into the stock amp?
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: Speaker Questions - 09/30/06 01:35 AM

If you're happy with your current setup, and just want to add subs, then no need to replace anything. You can get a line converter from Best Buy that will wire up to your two rear speakers, and give you RCA outputs to connect to a sub amp.
So you can get your subs, amp, and use the line converter to hook it up. Thats what I did and I'm happy. I'm a pretty picky sound person too.

Re: Speaker Questions - 09/30/06 02:22 AM

Hmm...sounds simple enough, but when it comes to wires I'm a timid little school girl.

I also know very little about how to install subs/amps/speakers and the like.
Posted by: Kev-GTP

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/05/06 04:12 PM

Look around on this website. Its where I got all of my stuff for my system. Their prices are unbeatable and they have great customer service.

Sonicelectronix.com

Oh and I recommned the Alpine subs. Thats what I have and it sounds reallly good.

Good luck.
Posted by: MULDIVEN

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/06/06 10:18 PM

in my 98 GP i had 1 12" rockford powered by like a 200 watt kenwood amp... it sounded awesome...just drop down the seat in the back middle and its great. but i have found that it doesnt take much at all to have a good sounding system in the GP . They are built very sound as far the vibrations and whatnot are concerned.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/06/06 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MULDIVEN:
but i have found that it doesnt take much at all to have a good sounding system in the GP . They are built very sound as far the vibrations and whatnot are concerned.
Really? Cuz I know the previous owner had a system and my car has some rattles and squeaks that I think he caused from his system.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/07/06 10:10 PM

Has anyone gotten kick panels for their car? I've been looking at them, and I'm not sure if they're really worth the money.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/09/06 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brown:
Quote:
Originally posted by MULDIVEN:
[b] but i have found that it doesnt take much at all to have a good sounding system in the GP . They are built very sound as far the vibrations and whatnot are concerned.
Really? Cuz I know the previous owner had a system and my car has some rattles and squeaks that I think he caused from his system. [/b]
well I never had any issues... i would love to hook up my 04 with some sub action but i don't have the $$$ lol

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/09/06 02:44 PM

What kind of music do you listen to?

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/09/06 10:50 PM

Mostly rock which is why I dont really need anything impressive taking up all my trunk space. Some more bass would be nice to hear, nothing over-bearing though.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/09/06 11:49 PM

I have a single 10" with a decent sized amp and its PLENTY for any rock. It pounds pretty good for crappy rap music too.
Posted by: nad

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/12/06 01:26 AM

www.ikesound.com << Great website with really low prices.

For just rock music, you won't need 2 12's with 1000 watt amps or anything. I'd just go with a mild 10 and maybe like a 800W amp or something.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/12/06 02:12 AM

yeah im a metal head also but i also play bass so the more bass i hear the better off i am lol

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/12/06 02:38 AM

does it have to be a mono 800w amp to run one sub or can I use a 400w x 2 to run one sub?

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/16/06 01:12 PM

You can use a 2 channel amp to run one sub. Just bridge the connection, and hook the one sub up to both channels. If you need me to, I can draw you a diagram of what I mean.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/16/06 10:50 PM

that'd be really helpful. I'm kinda illerate when it comes to wiring. I was poking about in my trunk the other day and I found a very thick wire that I believe is the ground wire (its screwed into the frame of the back seat) and there is also another wire. I'm assuming the 2nd wire is the power. Its a lot thinner, I'm guessing 8 gauge?

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/17/06 10:19 PM

Let me know if that helps at all.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/17/06 10:27 PM

so how do I hook the sub up to the radio or where would be the best place to tie into exhisting speakers.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/17/06 11:39 PM

You run RCA cables from the inputs on the amplifier to the outputs on the back of your head unit. You also need to run the remote wire which is a thin blue wire that runs from the wiring harness of the head unit to the amplifier to tell the amplifier to turn on and off when the ignition is turned on and off.

Re: Speaker Questions - 10/17/06 11:40 PM

If you have a stock head unit, I believe there is an adapter you can install that will use some type of converter to run an amp. It's much easier to do with an aftermarket head unit.