got a motorcycle - GSXR600

Posted by: r.s.hutchinson

got a motorcycle - GSXR600 - 05/29/12 02:21 PM

Ended up trading my t66 turbo kit for the bike + cash.

The guy I traded with is from Ottawa, which is about 3 hours or so from where I lived. We were in talks for months while he was away in Florida building race engines for a motorcycle racing company down there. Finally he got back and we met up.

He told me what the few things that were wrong with it, the biggest being that the bike had a salvage title because the rear subframe tabs had been snapped off, so the insurance company wrote it off which basically puts the ownership for that 'bike' in irreparable status. The tabs were professionally welded back on and the frame was perfectly fine but I would never be able to put it on the road with that frame. So I had to find a frame that had a clean title. Oddly enough, the frame I got also had the subframe tabs broke and welded back on, but must not have went through insurance :P

Ended up getting one for $1150 shipped to the border from California and went to pick it up.

Was a nightmare to get an Ontario ownership for that bike since it had a California title but it wasn't a whole bike, just the frame. Had to write an affidavit and bend the truth a little but eventually got it all straightened out.

Here is the frame sitting in my apartment :P Looked like a child car seat when it was all wrapped up.

Here is what it looked like the day I picked it up.

Here it is with my brothers 06 CBR600RR and my dads 08 CBR125.

So anyway, 5 hours later I had the bike tore down, the frame off and the new frame back on.....and hanging from the ceiling laugh Having never worked on a bike before, and especially doing something as involved as a full frame swap, I would have to say it really isn't all that bad.

While I had it torn down that far I decided to change out all the bearings and seals with upgraded AllBalls Racing units. Roller tapered bearings instead of ball bearings. Also, changed the fork fluid and seals. The first one took 1.5 hours, the second leg only took about 15-20 minutes :P

Had to make a few sockets as well since there are a few specialty tools needed that I didn't have. But that's always fun.

Needed 2 new tires so I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's for front and rear from Motorcycle Superstore. Great prices for anyone looking for any bike parts or gear.

First mod was a set of shorty levers. Bought a set from Rideitmoto.com for 80$ with free grips. The grips don't fit so I have to get them machined if I want to use them, just haven't got around to it yet.

Re: got a motorcycle - GSXR600 - 05/29/12 02:21 PM

While I had the fairings off I decided to give them a quick spray since they are all cracked and weren't in great shape. Painted it flat black to give it a somewhat street fighter look and to hide all the imperfections. Will eventually get new fairings.

Mod bug has already got me with this. So far I've added:

-1 front sprocket
GSXR1000 6pot calipers and kevlar lines.
Clear LED turn signals
Fender eliminator with under tail LED taillight.
RIM Shorty levers and grips
Chrome GSXR engraved bar ends
GSXR engraved exhaust hangar

My first 'custom' project is going to be a projector retrofit since my headlight sucks and is broken. Ordered a set of Morimoto mini H1 bi xenon projectors and a relay harness from theretrofitsource.com and some H1 HID's from VVME.com.

Hoping to order a Two Brothers exhaust for it soon since my stock can doesn't cut it and has some road rash.

Next on the list is changing to an 04/05 GSXR tail. Requires a bit of cutting and welding to the subframe to make it work but it's worth it.
Posted by: RooK

Re: got a motorcycle - GSXR600 - 05/29/12 02:55 PM

Sweet! One thing about bikes is how small and easy they are to work on. Keep us up to date, but it definitely needs some color. That flat black doesn't do it justice.

Re: got a motorcycle - GSXR600 - 05/29/12 06:53 PM

I think it looks alright for $20 and a few hours time.

Much better than the yellow, bondo, stickers and scratches anyway.

When I get new fairings I'm thinking of maybe pearl white? I'm not sure, I love black but....
Posted by: '01 GT

Re: got a motorcycle - GSXR600 - 05/30/12 10:44 AM

looks good man..