06 GXP - WOW!

Posted by: SpeedemonGXP

06 GXP - WOW! - 03/07/06 04:13 PM

I have 2300 miles on my latest Grand Prix, mileage is about 24 on the highway, 16-18 around town or 10 depending on how it's driven. I had a 2002 GTP and the difference is like night and day. This car rocks, and suprises anyone who tries to race it, including factory riceburners.
It's not cheap to own, just check out the price of tires, but I have to say, this is one great car.

The only problem I've had to date is that the front main seal was torn and began leaking @ 100 miles. It took them part of the morning to replace it, otherwise, no other issues.

They built a really fun one this time. Anyone else have anything to add?
Posted by: Ross Young

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 04/23/06 04:24 PM

Totally agree. I had a V6 Firebird (that was the only sports car I had) and I had really wanted the new GXP -- my mother in law has a 04 GTP and loves it. I had a Buick (used --- suuuuucked) and when that died next year, I told my wife i want the GXP -- well, it died about two months ago. So the GXP is in the driveway! Awesome car!

The only issue I do have with it (and it's fully loaded -- DVD nav, touchscreen) is that the sunroof is REALLY loud with wind noise. Any complaints about this? There's no wind deflector like on the 04 model GTP.
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 04/25/06 04:35 PM

You can get an aftermarket wind deflector that can fit.
Posted by: GTP_noob

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/07/06 08:06 PM

are the GXP's faster than the GTP's?
Posted by: MULDIVEN

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/08/06 02:59 AM

i would believe so considering it has a V8 instead of the supercharged 3.8.
Posted by: framos242

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/08/06 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GTP_noob:
Yup.

303 HP
323 TQ

I really want one!! frown

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/08/06 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
Quote:
[b] are the GXP's faster than the GTP's?
Yup.

303 HP
323 TQ

I really want one!! frown [/b]
Just because A GXP has more HP & TQ then a GTP does'nt mean anything...for example A '93 Mazda Rx-7 has 255 WHP w/ 280 TQ and a 2002 Camaro SS has 325 WHP w/ 340 TQ...(a 1.3 rotary vs. a LS1 V8) now keeping in mind that both cars are "bone stock", The Camaro will never be able to keep up with the Rx-7 whether It is a Course or a Strip. Whether it is a top speed race or a 1/8 mile the camaro wont be able to handle it as well as the Rx-7. There are too many things to take into consideration. I guess the best way find out is to find a GXP and race it!
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/14/06 07:42 PM

Unfairly compared.
A 93 Mazda RX-7 weight a whole lot less than an 02 Camaro. It's a "power ot weight" ratio.

A 93 RX-7 has 255HP at the crank, not at the wheels, and that's via a twin-sequential turbo charged rotory engine

The Camaro SS is also rated at 325HP at the crank, not at the wheels.

Anytime HP is mentioned about a certain car, it's crank horsepower, unless Wheel HP is specified.

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/14/06 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
Unfairly compared.
A 93 Mazda RX-7 weight a whole lot less than an 02 Camaro. It's a "power ot weight" ratio.

A 93 RX-7 has 255HP at the crank, not at the wheels, and that's via a twin-sequential turbo charged rotory engine

Anytime HP is mentioned about a certain car, it's crank horsepower, unless Wheel HP is specified.
Nicely put.

Besides, I'm thinking turboed GXP... devilgrin

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/15/06 01:50 AM

Quote:
Unfairly compared.

I checked both specs on the car before I posted just to make sure I wasnt going to make an ass out of myself. The sites I checked had HP posted from the wheels. And I know that the Rx-7 is based from the wheels because I have 3 of them, not all 3rd gens. though. I race 2 of 3 and have worked around them for a while, I think I know. anyways...I did realize that it is very unfair I wanted to make a point by using something from experiance. I just wanted to make the point. LIke I said I guess the best way is to race one...I just cant find one!!! Is anyone in my area that would like to run my GTP?
Posted by: Dre da GP man

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/15/06 02:49 AM

Yeah I would think GXP is faster than a GTP because of the 5.3 V8 engine, but only if they made grand prixs in rwd, then it would be a beast.(lol)

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/15/06 11:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Unfairly compared.

I checked both specs on the car before I posted just to make sure I wasnt going to make an ass out of myself. The sites I checked had HP posted from the wheels. And I know that the Rx-7 is based from the wheels because I have 3 of them, not all 3rd gens. though. I race 2 of 3 and have worked around them for a while, I think I know. anyways...I did realize that it is very unfair I wanted to make a point by using something from experiance. I just wanted to make the point. LIke I said I guess the best way is to race one...I just cant find one!!! Is anyone in my area that would like to run my GTP? [/b]
Taken from MSN Autos section:

1993 Mazda RX-7
Standard Engine 1.3L 255 hp R0
Horsepower 255
Torque (lb-ft) 217

Per previous post, the HP will be to the crank not to the wheel. HP ratings from manufacturers and what not always state the HP to the crank. You must take into account that that you should get an average loss of 18% to 22% decrease when the HP comes from the wheel. Don't believe. Dyno it and post up the numbers.

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/16/06 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dre da GP man:
Yeah I would think GXP is faster than a GTP because of the 5.3 V8 engine, but only if they made grand prixs in rwd, then it would be a beast.(lol)
RWD and Man. Trans.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 06/19/06 08:02 AM

I think between a GTP and GXP, assuming they are both stock, they are roughly the same weight and traction isnt a problem then the GXP should come out with a slight edge. The strong torque and power delivery of the LS3, plus the meaty front tires should give the GXP a good holeshot. I think the GTP would close the gap as they reached trap speed but not enough to pull it out.I also know I'd love to put the GXP engine/tranny in my 01 coupe hammer
Posted by: Jim GXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 07/18/06 12:34 PM

According to C&D:

GTP 0-60: 6.6 sec. 1/4 mile 15.0 sec @93MPH
GXP 0-60: 5.7 sec. 1/4 mile 14.3 sec @98MPH

You can read their road test of the GXP at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/9964/pontiac-grand-prix-gxp.html
Posted by: 06GXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 07/25/06 09:00 PM

13.88@99.3MPH
http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp?qtrid=20053

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/09/06 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 06GXP:
13.88@99.3MPH
http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp?qtrid=20053
Have you done anything to your GXP, or is that 13.88 stock?
Posted by: 06GXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/09/06 02:50 PM

Quote:
Have you done anything to your GXP, or is that 13.88 stock?
Bone stock.

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/09/06 04:34 PM

Wow. 13.88 on a stock GXP. Car and Driver only got a 14.3 in the 1/4 mile.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/9964/pontiac-grand-prix-gxp.html
Posted by: kpowr82

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/11/06 11:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
[b]
Quote:
[b] are the GXP's faster than the GTP's?
Yup.

303 HP
323 TQ

I really want one!! frown [/b]
...The Camaro will never be able to keep up with the Rx-7 whether It is a Course or a Strip. Whether it is a top speed race or a 1/8 mile the camaro wont be able to handle it as well as the Rx-7. There are too many things to take into consideration. I guess the best way find out is to find a GXP and race it! [/b]
At the risk of sounding like a troll (this is my first post here afterall), that is a pretty baseless comment. It's pretty obvious to me that you have no idea what a 2002 Camaro SS runs in the 1/4 mile. Based on information I"ve gathered from "official" sources (r&t, motor trend, c&d), the rx-7 turns in a 1/4 mile time of 14.0 bone stock; 2002 Camaro SS does the 1/4 in 13.2. I have personally taken my '02 SS A4 to 12.99 with Nitto Drag Radials cutting a 2.0 60'.

From what I can gather from various rx-7 forums, most are cutting 13.6-13.9 in stock trim with sticky tires.

The example you have given does not prove your argument.
Posted by: Kansas GXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/14/06 08:56 AM

My wife and I went looking @ these yesterday, and she finally agreed that when the time comes, we can get one. She said she wanted a 4 door for a family car, and I said, ok, there are plenty of cool cars that are 4 door. So, I took her by one on the lot, and she said, I didn't know they looked like this, I like this one. So I did some checking on prices. What I don't understand is that I could lease a new GXP, for about $20 month cheaper than I am paying on my GTP? Sounds like a go for me. Just need to get a few little things in line, and the GXP is as good a mine!

Anyone have anything bad to say about them, before I look too seriously?
I already know where I can get a 3" DP for one here in town devilgrin
Posted by: wirtzy_gxp

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 08/30/06 09:48 PM

I just got my gxp 3 weeks ago, and it has been nothing but pure fun and excitement. I about pissed my pants the first time I started it up and drove it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am thinking about chipping it, but I am not sure. I keep asking myself if I need to go faster than 140 mph. It would fly if I chipped it, because it is only running about 4000 rpms at 140. FRIGGIN AWESOME CAR. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! smile smile
Posted by: drwtsn32

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 09/04/06 11:45 PM

I finally had the chance to test drive one of these things... awesome!! It was the one with DVD nav and all the extras. One thing I noticed was the rear view mirror was not auto-dimming like on my 99 GTP. What's up with that? Old school levers aren't cool.
Posted by: joeilesGXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 10/31/06 09:03 PM

i have an 06' GXP w/cold air intake,new MAF 83mm polished throttle body, magnaflow down pipe with hi flo cat. and chip. Last dyno put me at 355hp with 342 tq. (i will scan chart and put in when i have a chance). after all this I couldn't wait to get out and run some times! imagine my suprise when I could not achieve consistant times better than stock. My problem, I could not hook up! I am going to hit Ebay to see if I can buy some slicks. I will keep everyone informed.
Posted by: Kansas GXP

Re: 06 GXP - WOW! - 11/02/06 10:25 PM

Joeiles,
Nice sounding car...

Where did you find the perf. parts for it?
I have been looking all over the net, and I can't find anything that is specifically for the GXP, only other v-6 gp's.

I am definitly going to do the downpipe, and I will be interested in an intake, and a computer chip as well, just let me know where you found them if you would..

As for what would win, an GTP or a GXP. After driving both, I would say the GXP by a little bit. The GXP's engine actually weighs less than a superchaged 3800, and it has more power. Now, I know that the newer GP's also weigh a bit more then the previous body style, so this should make them close. Also, from what I could tell, the GXP doesen't shift as as high of rpm as the GTP, I don't know if it is for safety, or b/c of the v-8. It would definitly be a good race worth trying...