performance mufflers

Posted by: PontiacPhil

performance mufflers - 01/04/07 01:00 PM

Has anyone been beneath the car to look at the exhaust? I'm wanting to get some better sounding performance mufflers and keep the same stock tips (which are sweet). My 04' GTO had "true" dual exhaust (daul converters, no y-pipe, 2 pipes the whole way). Even though they ended on the same side of the car the never touched. I was just wondering if this is the same with our GXP's.
Posted by: Kojack

Re: performance mufflers - 01/19/07 06:43 PM

Try a k&N Cold Air Intake before changing your exaust.If need be try to find the Magnaflow system for the car.The only one available at this time to my knowledge.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: performance mufflers - 01/20/07 01:17 AM

I would imagine it is a very similar set up to a GTP but with larger tubing. I would say go with some flowmasters out back. I'm sure almost any local exhaust shop will be able to weld your stock tips back on. I would think 40s or Super 40s for very healthy note or 50s if just want a stronger rumble...and I would definitely leave the resonator in place if it has one, it will be much quieter inside the car.
Posted by: Kansas GXP

Re: performance mufflers - 01/22/07 09:55 AM

Actually, the best bang for the buck on a GXP is to just remove the resonator. You don't really get much cabin drone at all, and any muff shop should do it for around $40.

With this, you get a deeper and somewhat louder idle, almost no change at driving speeds, and a nice surprise when at wot.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/22/07 11:11 AM

OK, thanks guys.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/22/07 11:13 AM

KansasGXP: Did you remove your resonator?

Re: performance mufflers - 01/24/07 05:34 PM

Not yet, but It is scheduled to go in @ the beg. of Feb. for this.

I have talked to another guy from clubgp Area47 about this. He uses the same exhaust shop as I do (www.hoganperformance.com) and his is done.
In fact, none of the guys on clubgp have said anything negative about the res. delete, other than it didn't make the car as loud as they wanted.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/25/07 08:30 AM

So they just cut the resonator out and weld in a pipe?

Re: performance mufflers - 01/25/07 09:01 AM

yep, but the place that I am getting it done, will use stainless. This way, it looks just like it was supposed to be there. The pipe isn't a different color or anything.

I would just ask around at some local exhaust shops that have a good reputation. See what they say.
Posted by: framos242

Re: performance mufflers - 01/25/07 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kansas GXP:
Actually, the best bang for the buck on a GXP is to just remove the resonator. You don't really get much cabin drone at all, and any muff shop should do it for around $40.

With this, you get a deeper and somewhat louder idle, almost no change at driving speeds, and a nice surprise when at wot.
Think you could record some audio for us?? I would really love to hear it! devilgrin
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: performance mufflers - 01/26/07 03:15 PM

I would still go with the flowmasters if you like that hefty exhaust note. I know how much I love the sound of a Corvette or a T/A that has the "Flows" installed...and since the 5.3 is of the same breed as those engines I'm sure the notes would be very similar.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/29/07 08:05 AM

Got the resonator taken off on Saturday (Mieneke 60 bucks). Definitely has a lower exhaust note especially when starting the car and under accelation. No difference when going constant speed.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/29/07 11:25 AM

Yep, No difference @ a constant. Did you notice the difference @ WOT?

I sure did.
I think T-Bat is correct about the Flow's. I might look into some for the car, but I definitly don't want anything as loud as my truck is, or my T/A was.

Re: performance mufflers - 01/29/07 11:45 AM

Oh yeah, pretty big difference at WOT. It is loud enough for me now, actually SOUNDS like a V-8 now! Like you said, I don't want it to sound loud and obnoxious like some trucks/mustangs/TA's you see. I'd rather take the money I'd put into Flows and look into some kind of cold air intake system (if they make them).

Re: performance mufflers - 01/30/07 08:46 AM

There is a K&N CAI you can buy, but honestly, make it yourself. Just by the 7" cone from K&N, and build your own fwi.

There are a bunch of ideas floating around on this site, just do a search for homeade CAI or FWI.

There is also a nice write up on an insulated FWI on ClubGP. Do a search for "My new intercooled air intake" posted by Mr.Man.

It has a great write up, with pics on how to do this, and seal it off from your engine bay.
Posted by: tduuble20

Re: performance mufflers - 02/03/07 12:41 PM

I got this car in Jan of 06. I've added a Flowmaster Exhaust System, Mass Air Flow Sensor & a K&N Air Filter Kit to my Car. It moved me to about 330HP without any engine modifications. I love the way it sounds now. I want a supercharger for this car. Any engine mods out there for this car?

Re: performance mufflers - 02/05/07 10:55 AM

As of right now, there is not a supercharger out for the GXP, or a turbo, for that matter. Although there are guys out there working on a turbo.

Really, the best power adder as of now, would be a bottle... but then again, you might not want to do that.
Posted by: uncletrav

Re: performance mufflers - 02/14/07 10:56 PM

Great info guys. I'll hit up the muffler shop in the spring to have the resonator removed. Naturally, I store my girl when the weather gets cold out.
Anyone have a link for that K&N intake? Didn't see anything at Summit. I put a K&N in the stock location, but I know that an intake kit would add power and throttle tone.
Dynomax makes a kit for 2005's. Will that fit mine? Should I wait around for a Flowmaster kit? Perhaps I should wait to ask that until I see how much I like the sound w/o the resonator...

Re: performance mufflers - 02/15/07 03:51 PM

I wouldn't waste the money on new muffs, sounds good enough with the res off. New muffs won't do anything for performance anyway. Like you I only have the K&N filter. You can get the K&N CAI set up for about 250.00 and Jegs or other places. Alot more bang for the buck than just welding new muffs on.
Posted by: Kojack

Re: performance mufflers - 03/02/07 01:59 PM

I put on a k&N cold air system.The cost was approx 280 canadian.It comes with a heat sheild and you have to remount the computer box and the transmision computer as well.It looks great and sounds even better.Comes with the cone airfilter and all the rubber bushings to remount the computer modules.Well worth the money. I mean we did spend 40,000 on the car.