Pontiac G8 Cop Car?

Posted by: Acefighter

Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/26/09 02:27 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/26/australian-company-wants-pontiac-g8-to-be-next-cop-cruiser/

Me likey. laugh
Posted by: palsut

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/26/09 09:52 PM

I don't know if it is good move. I went to car show to sit on G8. Remember this cop need computer stuffs and police gear stuffs. G8 is look pretty small for police. That's why Ford Crown Victoria is perfect for police business. It is huge and it got everything what police need. Also taxi too. IMO

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/27/09 04:59 AM

Palsut, I don't think you've ever been in the backseat of a police car, so let me tell you, it's cramped. A Crown Vic isn't very spacious. I'm 6'2", and I had to sit sideways.

However, here is a side-by-side comparison between the Crown Vic & G8 for interior room. Also, I included the Dodge Charger, which I have heard cops say is way too cramped.

MSN Comparison

*EDIT* Plus, the Crown Vic is grossly underpowered, both as a V8 and as an "interceptor." It makes less power than a stock GTP.
Posted by: Richard Candelario

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/27/09 09:50 AM

show me dyno results. I doubt that cop cars can be outran by a stock GTP. Prove it.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/27/09 04:34 PM

Comparison

Plus, if you click over to exterior, you'll see that even the stock Crown Vic is heavier than the GTP. And a cop car will be significantly heavier than that.

They don't do any engine mods to the Crown Vic cop car, except to remove the top speed limiter, and add some things to help keep the engine cool under the abuse it gets. No power adders.

So, 15 less hp/torque with an extra 500lbs PLUS everything the cop cars have in them over the stock Vics = SLOOOOOW, especially for a V8. If you've ever seen one accelerate from a stop, you'd see what I mean.

However, I wouldn't want to run from these cop cars. lol

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/28/09 12:23 PM

lol maybe "bad boy" don't deserve space room on backseat? lol

Well, it will be awesome if Pontiac G8 will be police business. I guess we will see what happen.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 02/28/09 05:46 PM

I don't expect it to be a big hit. There might be a handful of them, maybe as pursuit vehicles. That would be awesome. But I don't expect it to be a replacement for the Crown Vic.

And I didn't expect the backseat of a cop car to be luxurious, but I at least expected to be able to fit...lol

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/02/09 09:50 AM

WOW, I can ALMOST outrun a cop car with my GT? Wow. Thanks for shuttin me up.

Know what's funny? At the time, I was only 5'2" and 115#, and I thought I had a cramped ride in the back of that Crown Vic. Those cars are NOT comfy to be in.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/02/09 10:48 AM

Geez you both guys already arrested? I see both of you are from Texas. I guess you might be drunk wife beater redneck thing that I always watching cop show on Saturday. lol :p

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/02/09 05:11 PM

umm, no. I claim Phoenix, AZ. I was arrested on my 18th birthday for shoplifting. I got caught with a $10 item, after making off with lots of other higher-valued items. Your joke has just lost it's power. sorry.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/02/09 05:15 PM

Of course, I know you and him don't do that. wink

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/03/09 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
WOW, I can ALMOST outrun a cop car with my GT? Wow. Thanks for shuttin me up.

Know what's funny? At the time, I was only 5'2" and 115#, and I thought I had a cramped ride in the back of that Crown Vic. Those cars are NOT comfy to be in.
No, not at all.

And while the GT could almost outrun a cop car, maybe your Camaro could.

Want to try? laugh

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/03/09 09:32 AM

Not with that suspension. I really need to do springs and AGXs before even tryin to outrun the cops. It would be FUN to get an interceptor driver to face me on a road course and drag course, then a closed-course street race.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/03/09 10:26 AM

If you haven't been in a cop car at one point or another, your life is boring. wink

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/04/09 01:39 AM

Quote:
Not with that suspension. I really need to do springs and AGXs before even tryin to outrun the cops. It would be FUN to get an interceptor driver to face me on a road course and drag course, then a closed-course street race.
I have always thought that would be cool.

My friends & I in high school always thought it would be fun to do a simulated school shooting vs the police, with us as the shooters. Use paintball, airsoft, simunition, whatever. I still think doing that would have been awesome. And I still think that with a little planning, back when we were familiar with the layout of the school, we could have taken them. :p

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/04/09 09:10 AM

Doubt it. They have technique. It would be cool if they came into it KNOWING that it was a shoot-house training event.

When I was stationed at FT Campbell, KY, I was on the brand new loop just south of Hop-town, pulled to the light. A cop pulled uip next to me, revved, smiled and waved forward as in "after you, kind sir". I took him off the line, but after about 1/8th mile (most likely sooner) he had me all the way to the next light, a mile off. That's the first time that happened, and as of yesterday, only time that had happened.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/05/09 01:43 AM

Quote:
Doubt it. They have technique. It would be cool if they came into it KNOWING that it was a shoot-house training event.
Um...of course. I don't want to get shot because they thought it was real. lol But I still say that back when we knew the school's layout really well, if we had planned out some sort of a game plan, we would have stood an even chance.
Posted by: jlindahl2571

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/08/09 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
Palsut, I don't think you've ever been in the backseat of a police car, so let me tell you, it's cramped. A Crown Vic isn't very spacious. I'm 6'2", and I had to sit sideways.

However, here is a side-by-side comparison between the Crown Vic & G8 for interior room. Also, I included the Dodge Charger, which I have heard cops say is way too cramped.

MSN Comparison

*EDIT* Plus, the Crown Vic is grossly underpowered, both as a V8 and as an "interceptor." It makes less power than a stock GTP.
Actually there is a ton of room in the front and backseats of the new Chargers. I've been in a couple as a police intern and I actually had a ton of space in the backseat. And I'm 6'1".

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/08/09 03:39 PM

Really? Interesting. The Crown Vic I rode in had several inches in the back removed cuz of how the plastic seat and the separator was designed. Maybe the Charger was different. But I'm 6'2" and I could not sit with my legs forwards in the Crown Vic. Not even close.
Posted by: jlindahl2571

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/10/09 09:34 PM

Well it the Charger's that I was in the back of were the unmarked/undercover ones so I'd assume the police versions would have a little less room, but I still there there would be enough room to sit straight.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/11/09 01:41 AM

Did they have the panel separating the backseat from the fronts? If they did, then I doubt the police model would be any worse.
Posted by: 72chevman

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/13/09 08:09 PM

How about this cop car in Ft Worth Texas.

1998 B4C Z28, auto trans, 3900 pounds
400 rear wheel HP (Dyno verified before NOS)
12.6 at 108 before NOS
Roll cage
Remington 870 Shotgun

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0507htp_1998_z28_camaro_police_feature/index.html

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 03/14/09 03:07 AM

Oh...my...god! That is awesome. That is EXACTLY what I want to do. Except I want to do it in a G8. lol Get a car, modify it, and make it a cop car. lol

I'm not sure which mod I like more, the nitrous or the Remington. lol lol lol

Man, I am SO jealous right now...
Posted by: Doug in CT

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/21/09 07:54 PM

Gee...the only time I was in the back of a cop car, I wasn't thinking too much about my personal comfort. Anyway, fast-forward 15 years, and I have a few cop friends that would probably be willing to do a short race with their Crown Vics. Unfortunately, I only have a GT, but if anyone wants to let me borrow their GTP or G8, I'm sure I could arrange something. wink
Sadly, my Uncle's squad car is directly across the street almost every night, but he's very "by-the-book". frown

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/22/09 03:29 AM

I wish I knew a cop personally. Even if he wasn't willing to do a short street race, which I would understand completely, I'm sure I could convince him to go to the drag strip sometime...lol
Posted by: GTPCompG

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/23/09 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
How about this cop car in Ft Worth Texas.

1998 B4C Z28, auto trans, 3900 pounds
400 rear wheel HP (Dyno verified before NOS)
12.6 at 108 before NOS
Roll cage
Remington 870 Shotgun

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0507htp_1998_z28_camaro_police_feature/index.html
Is that car really in service as a cop car? If so I think police are kind of abusing their money on these kinds of things.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/24/09 02:27 AM

Did you read the article? The department didn't spend the money on it. He bought the car himself, and got sponsors to pay for the rest. Hence, the decals in front of the driver's door.
Posted by: Doug in CT

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/26/09 01:00 AM

Quote:
Is that car really in service as a cop car? If so I think police are kind of abusing their money on these kinds of things.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but around here some police departments have nice show cars for the DARE program. Usually they just bring them to community events, but sometimes they drag them. The cars they use are usually acquired through drug related seizures and then modded by local tech schools. No tax payer money involved.
Of course, I've never understood how showing kids nice cars drug dealers had will keep the kids from becoming drug dealers too.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/26/09 09:48 AM

Yeah, my local area have "DARE" police cool looking cars. My local area have 1985 Camaro, mustang, old corvette, and more of them I couldn't think. It is kind stupid to ruin nice cars with "dare" decal on it.

Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car? - 04/26/09 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug in CT:
Quote:
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but around here some police departments have nice show cars for the DARE program. Usually they just bring them to community events, but sometimes they drag them. The cars they use are usually acquired through drug related seizures and then modded by local tech schools. No tax payer money involved.
Of course, I've never understood how showing kids nice cars drug dealers had will keep the kids from becoming drug dealers too.
I've never understood that either. They might get the message that Hey, if I'm a drug dealer, I'll get one of those cars too! Then again, they might think that then it'll get taken away by the cops. lol

Some departments have a "beat the heat" program where they have a department dragster, and take it to the local drag strip sometimes. It's supposed to encourage people to race on the track, not the street. Pretty cool idea, IMO.