Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100056 - 03/07/07 04:36 PM Exhaust cutout question
mbhgtp00 Offline
Loc: Middletown, Ohio
Ok i plan on keeping this car for along time. I dont wanna do powerlogs or ported manifolds just yet because one day i wanna just get the pacesetter header combo, which is why i dont wanna run a new downpie right now because the pacesetter comes with one and eventually i wanna get a catback. Yes im a poor boy. My original plan when i got this car was to have it beat my stang by a bit and i would be happy. Well besides maintenance i havent really done anything to it besides whats mentioned. Well as it sits it beat my stang by 1 tenth, i know sad lol. Anyways i just want a little more ets at the track and still have a nice daily driver. I was reading about the cutout, and i could have that put in the stock downpipe and have completely free exhaust when at the track and run the 02 spoof(i would just leave it in all the time) I only run it maybe once a year, i know i need to scan but do u think the cutout which would bypass the cat, ubend all of that, 605 plugs and a 3.6 pulley be a good idea? I would just get the MPS and run the 3.6 at the track only so its gonna be pretty much stock the rest of the year with the 3.8 on it. I know scan which ill have to find someboy near by, but does this sound like a stupid idea or a good idea for a few tenths at the track and back to normal for daily driving the rest of the 363 daysa year lol
Oh and before u say for the price of a cutout i could get a downpipe, i dont mean the electric one, the manual one from summit or jegs like 28 bucks. I wont be removing it but a few times a year really so thats what i would use, plus its really simple anyways. If i do get one, which one 2.5 inches?

*mods after run, Autolite 605s, GMPP STB w/donrome brackets
#100057 - 03/07/07 05:06 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
i believe it may be 2.25....but it is actually one size fits all bacause i gave mine to my friend on his 3 inch pipe for his camero n its fit no problem.....he hasnt paid me yet so maybe ill get it back n give it to u for $50....i also have the nice Y pipe for it!!
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#100058 - 03/07/07 05:19 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
mbhgtp00 Offline
LOL cool. I figured id go ahead and throw a 3 inch one on there if it worked, might as well open a few inches of the exhaust up when normal driving! aha

#100059 - 03/07/07 06:51 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Personally I wouldn't do it. You'll have an exhaust leak and it will drive you crazy. 3.5-3.6 pulley won't cause you any issues with the stock exhaust. If it's gonna be a while till you get the exhaust you want find a local not a chain exhaust shop and have them fab up a Ubend delete for you. I have heard of people paying anywhere from $30-$60 for the fab and install. All you'd have to sacrifice is a night at the movies or a dinner at your favorite restaurant.
#100060 - 03/07/07 07:19 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
mbhgtp00 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Personally I wouldn't do it. You'll have an exhaust leak and it will drive you crazy. 3.5-3.6 pulley won't cause you any issues with the stock exhaust. If it's gonna be a while till you get the exhaust you want find a local not a chain exhaust shop and have them fab up a Ubend delete for you. I have heard of people paying anywhere from $30-$60 for the fab and install. All you'd have to sacrifice is a night at the movies or a dinner at your favorite restaurant.
Hmmm a leak even with the manual ones with the wingnuts?

#100061 - 03/07/07 07:37 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
xXAbercrombie05 Offline
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
what exactly is this? can u link me up ive not been informed of this cutout :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------
#100062 - 03/07/07 08:23 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
mbhgtp00 Offline

#100063 - 03/07/07 09:01 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
the manual is a pain in the butt....and you cant even do it wen its been running for a wile HOT....the electric which i have that costed 150 is great, the switch can be mounted right in the dash and for starters before droppin money on an exhaust its a great first step especially wen ill toss it for 50 n the y pipe for like 20 bucs....it takes about 6 seconds to open when holding the switch n is great for when ur driving allready.....http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN5002/GPEXH/Quick+Time+Electric+Exhaust+Cutout.html
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#100064 - 03/08/07 09:06 AM Re: Exhaust cutout question
xscash2blow Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
I have done what you want as far as the bypass and the best way to do it is get a 2.5in pipe and expand it to fit over your stock pipe. Because here is your situation: your pipe is 2.5in inner diameter but it is Stainless so its quite thick so a 3" pipe will be a little loose. Another reason not to go with a 3" pipe is because the 2.5 with the ends expanded will maintain an uninterrupted exhaust flow from stock to your bypass but going to a bigger diameter exhaust for only a short period creates quite a bit of turbulance within the larger exhaust. This takes away from power. Its hard to explain but it happens because there is no consistant flow because of the upstep to 3" and downstep back down to 2.5".
#100065 - 03/08/07 11:59 AM Re: Exhaust cutout question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by mbhgtp00:
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
[b] Personally I wouldn't do it. You'll have an exhaust leak and it will drive you crazy. 3.5-3.6 pulley won't cause you any issues with the stock exhaust. If it's gonna be a while till you get the exhaust you want find a local not a chain exhaust shop and have them fab up a Ubend delete for you. I have heard of people paying anywhere from $30-$60 for the fab and install. All you'd have to sacrifice is a night at the movies or a dinner at your favorite restaurant.
Hmmm a leak even with the manual ones with the wingnuts? [/b]
Even those. Over time the blank off will warp and will cause a leak.
#100066 - 03/08/07 06:37 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
save your money
#100067 - 03/08/07 07:02 PM Re: Exhaust cutout question
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I bought a cheap non-electric one that is cable operated. No electric problems, and you can do it while hot from inside the car. Looking at the seal told me it would still be a bit noisy when closed though, so I never put it on. I hate the sound of exhaust leaks!