Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102135 - 02/13/06 09:40 PM auto-on lights
02GPGT Offline
Loc: Oregon, OH
i have noticed that my headlights dont seem to turn on right away when im driving and it gets to be dusk. Today i was driving from across town and i noticed that on the way that on other GM cars and mostly grandprixs that the headlights were on due to the dusk. So i wondered why mine didnt turn on while i was driving. So at a redlight i turned off my car and started it right back up and the autoheadlights were on. What is with that? i thought they were suppose to turn on while driving. did i not wait long enough for htem to kick on, or do they only auto on if u turn it on after its dusk/dark?

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
#102136 - 02/14/06 10:46 AM Re: auto-on lights
97GrandPrix Offline
Loc: Houston
The hole for the light sensor on 97's and I think 98's was a little smaller, causing the sensor to thinks it's darker out than it is. In '99?, the hole is bigger so it will take a little longer for the sensor to register that it's getting dark out. I know mine turn on and off constantly, even during the middle of the day, just passing through shadows and what not. I may be off on the years, so someone correct me if I'm wrong there, but I know that the later years had bigger holes. I wouldn't worry about it. Try giving a little longer.
#102137 - 02/15/06 01:11 AM Re: auto-on lights
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I have an 01 GT and I've noticed many conditions where I felt the lights should have come on...they pop on in tunnels and things like that but overcast or rainy days I just turn them on manually ...since this is the first car I've ever owned with this feature, turning them on once in a while by hand doesnt seem like a big deal. I dont know about the hole size for the sensor but it sounds like your car is behaving typical of most.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#102138 - 02/15/06 01:25 PM Re: auto-on lights
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I removed the fuse for mine.

I figured they may be a time when I need to drive away undetected and melt into the night.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#102139 - 02/15/06 05:30 PM Re: auto-on lights
97GrandPrix Offline
Loc: Houston
Tasty, did that kill the DRL's too? I've been thinking about killing both for the same reason.
#102140 - 02/15/06 06:01 PM Re: auto-on lights
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
First thing I did as soon as I got my car home was pull the DRL fuse in the glove box. Killed the DRL's and as a bonus, the auto-on's too.
smile

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.