Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103452 - 08/15/02 03:30 PM Shopping For a 97/98 GTP. Need Advise.
BudMan Offline
Loc: North Of Atlanta
We are looking into gettingf a used GTP 4 door. Can I get some ideas on what to look out for. I am a Maintenance/Machinest of 20 Years. You can speak the languageto me.
What is just "too many miles" on one.
#103453 - 08/20/02 09:24 AM Re: Shopping For a 97/98 GTP. Need Advise.
Joe35 Offline
Loc: New Jersey
Budman,

Beside the routine checks for a used car, you might want to see the technical service bulletins for the 97/98 GTP sedans. The titles are available at Alldata.com for free. I have a 98 GTP Sedan with 25K bought new and I did have some of the minor listed problems. Fortunately they were fixed under warranty. Also take a look at the battery if it is the original unit and check the passenger side for any water leaks.

If the car checks out ok, have fun!

Joe
#103454 - 09/10/02 10:46 PM Re: Shopping For a 97/98 GTP. Need Advise.
GTPBoost Offline
Loc: Kent, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by BudMan:
We are looking into gettingf a used GTP 4 door. Can I get some ideas on what to look out for. I am a Maintenance/Machinest of 20 Years. You can speak the languageto me.
What is just "too many miles" on one.
Rather than the miles you should look at who owned it and how it was driven. There are plenty of owners out there with GTPs, probably especially sedans, that do nothing but drive them and maintain them like they do any other car. Then you have us guys that use them up at a quicker pace despite mileage. Mine has been raced since it was virtually new. You'd never know it other than the trans right at the moment. Then you've got some guys that just beat the living hell out of one on the street and stick on the smallest pulley they can find ASAP. Then they wonder why they've got these screwed up spark plugs when they pull them out because of a misfire. You know what a bent/burnt/missing electrode on a spark plug means since you're a mech. Taken care of these can rack up some seriously big mileage and still be a very good car. There's guys around here and ClubGP with a lot of miles on their cars and with plenty of mods. I'd lean more towards a '98 than a '97 though. '97s have some oddities that the '98+ don't have.

RC
#103455 - 09/12/02 03:04 PM Re: Shopping For a 97/98 GTP. Need Advise.
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
Tranny....its a weak point.
I bought a 97' with only 60k and every thing seemed tight. It was from an airline maintainance guy and it was in perfect shape.
In the first month, the transmission went. There were little to no signs when I tested it. Fluid was good, records were all there.
I would recomend, standing on the break and torquing it up a bit and see how the tranny shifts after that.
The transmission guy showed me all the parts and said someone had been racing it. It had the markings that someone had been slamming it into drive.
I have a 97 and I would definately go with the 98. Some of the bugs are worked out. I've got 91K now and I've had to replace the outer tie rod ends and now going to have to replace the right inner tie rod end. Ending is still great though.
Good luck.

CR
#103456 - 09/14/02 06:04 AM Re: Shopping For a 97/98 GTP. Need Advise.
BudMan Offline
Loc: North Of Atlanta
Thanks Fellas