Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103566 - 12/01/06 12:29 PM Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Arrow Head Offline
Loc: Bronx, NY
Hello all. I just recently got a tan/gold 2000 GTP coupe, with 67k miles. I am totally in love with the car. I have a few simple questions I was hoping you guys could help with.

1. What kind of gas mileage should I be getting? Right now I average about 14-15 mpg, which isnt much better than what my 1983 Coupe deVille gets. I'm assuming my new found love of superchargers may have something to do with it.

2. What does GTP stand for? I've looked in Pontiac books and on the web but can't find a meaning.

Thanks in advance for your help, I can see this site being a great resource.

2000 GTP
#103567 - 12/01/06 12:35 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I would think proper gas mileage for a GTP would be 18-20 city, and 26-28 hwy, depending on driving habits. Try resetting your Driver Information Center and see if that nets you better results.

As far as GTP... I don't know... maybe Grand Turismo Performance?? haha... someone else can shed some light maybe.

Oh and welcome! cheers

'97 SE with alot of mods
#103568 - 12/01/06 01:02 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Richard Candelario Offline
I think it means Grand Tourismo Performa. As a bit of interest here: I found this other community:
http://www.gtpworld.com/

No, I didn't read anything they had yet, but another GP site can't be too bad.

What I did find is that the GTO means Grand Tourismo Omalagta (sp?), meaning it was certified to participate in the Grand Touring circuit. Sorry I couldnt find anything else for ya.

Welcome to the board. Use Herc's site. You'll hug yourself for doing so. I have. lol.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#103569 - 12/01/06 01:22 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
GTP_noob Offline
Loc: Chico
First off Welcome to the site!

in town i see anywhere from 14-18 mpg i really depends on what kinda of mood im in. Hwy i see close to 28 all the time (straight hwy of course).

It seems to be a mystery to everyone what GTP actually means but my personally fav is Got Tonsa Power

Rice, Smoked snake, and Roasted pony...What have you eaten today?
#103570 - 12/01/06 03:57 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The original GTO label was in honor of the old Ferrari GTOs nothing to do with grand touring racing.
#103571 - 12/01/06 04:39 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
GT usually means Grand Touring so the P, I would think, would be performance. Congrats on the purchase. GP's get 20-30 mpg. All depends on driving habits, area you live in (hilly, flat)
#103572 - 12/01/06 05:36 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Welcome!

MPG depends on mods too.

Wouldn't hurt to poke around and see if the previous owner had any mods on it. Do some regular maintenance too. Plugs, wires, filters, if you haven't already. Never hurts to make sure!

On a stock GTP, you can get anywhere from 14-35 MPG. Give or take. Depends more on your driving habits and terrain than anything.
#103573 - 12/01/06 07:28 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Welcome!

And GTP stand for nothing at all.
The 2 most popular ones are Grand Touring Prototype, and Grand Touring Performance.

GT does stand for Grand Touring.
As far as the Grand Prix's go, the P was added to the end of GT because GTP sounded cool, and it aids to tell the difference between S/C'd and N/A'd versions of the sportier Grand Prix's. The SE's (base model) have their own look.

Ask twelve different people and you'll get 5 different answers.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#103574 - 12/02/06 12:12 AM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Arrow Head Offline
Thanks for the input. I reset my trip computer, drove like a normal human being and am averaging 20 MPG. I kinda figured GTP meant nothing, most modern car acronym/names don't. As for mods, the car is dead stock. I bought it from the original owner. It was his wife's car, they got divorced and he wanted to get rid of the car so I got a pretty good deal on it.

Another thing I meant to originally ask, how much PSI does the supercharger put out? I'm guessing it's kinda mild. And I fully plan on checking out those other websites.

2000 GTP
#103575 - 12/02/06 01:13 AM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
GTP_noob Offline
Loc: Chico
i think But not sure is something in the neighborhood of 9 psi max or something like that

Rice, Smoked snake, and Roasted pony...What have you eaten today?
#103576 - 12/02/06 08:57 AM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Stock 3.8" pulley will produce 6.5-7 PSI.

When modding a S/C'd engine, it's not the PSI alone that gives you useful power. You gotta get the engine to breath free'r.
The goal isn't to increase PSI alone.
If you drop pulley size and begin producing 14 PSI, don't start getting excited about your boost numbers. All that boost will be due to boost stacking.
An example of boost stacking would be like blowing up a ballon. The more air you blow into the ballon, the more PSI it'll hold. Eventually the ballon will hold it's max PSI and anything after that will cause the ballon to go BOOM! Just like your engine will do if you increase the boost without increasing the ability to exhaust all that boost.
Imagine blowing in a straw. Now imagine taping a paper towel tube to the end of the straw that your blowing in, and you blow harder in the paper towel tube. The amount of air coming out of the straw is less than the amount being blown in. End result... you've now got more PSI being built up in the straw/tube.
Now imagine blowing in the straw versus blowing harder in a paper towel tube. PSI in the tube will drop versus the PSI in the straw, but you'll be moving more air through the tube than you would through the straw.

It's about how much air you can freely flow through the engine, not the amount of PSI you can get built up INSIDE the engine.

Hope this helps to better understand how to make boost your friend and not your enemy.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#103577 - 12/02/06 12:47 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Abromc454jive Offline
Loc: Virginia
I still like the one I seen on here....

GTP = Got Transmission Problems

Welcome to the site!
#1214/1500
#103578 - 12/02/06 05:41 PM Re: Just got a GTP, have a few simple questions
Arrow Head Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Abromc454jive:

GTP = Got Transmission Problems

That's funny and not funny at the same time.

2000 GTP