Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104719 - 07/14/05 06:58 PM car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
so i went on vacation with some friends this week (am still here, at myrtle beach. its sweet) and left my car at home for my brother to use.
2 days later when i gave them a call they tell me my car keeps dying.
i havent been home yet, ut they say it starts fine, runs for a few seconds, and dies right away. they said its runs for the exact same amount of time every time.

any ideas on what this could be?

thanks fellas,
bill
#104720 - 07/14/05 07:10 PM Re: car just stops running...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
fuel pump resistor. Here's how to fix it and it even has the temp fix. fuel pump resistor fix
#104721 - 07/14/05 08:53 PM Re: car just stops running...
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
before i read your post herc, i was saying the samething in my head, and then i scrolled down and seen your post.
dhp 1.0
#104722 - 07/14/05 09:50 PM Re: car just stops running...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
smile
#104723 - 07/17/05 01:44 PM Re: car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
So when I got home today, the car started right up!!! even let it sit and warm up for 10 minutes and drove it around.
confused
#104724 - 07/17/05 02:14 PM Re: car just stops running...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Get that resistor fixed it will fail again and next time leave you stranded.
#104725 - 07/17/05 08:28 PM Re: car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
where can I get just the resistor to replace it with?
i called that part store listed on the page you linked me to and 1) they want over $50+ship and 2) she said it isnt good on GPs 2000+

im sure just a plain resistor isn't going to cost that much, but who would have it? I've called auto stores around here and nobody has them, and some haven't even heard of it.
thanks,
bill
#104726 - 07/18/05 12:11 AM Re: car just stops running...
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Hmmm. I wonder if this could be also the cause of the KR.

Just thinking out loud: The resistor may fail on-off while driving causing fuel starvation. If you don't have enough fuel at WOT, that could cause the knocking.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#104727 - 07/19/05 11:11 AM Re: car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
well i've been searching all over for the fuel pump resistor, and can't find it! i've looked all behind the passenger headlights, on the firewall, etc...
somebody over at clubgp said he thinks that 2000+ don't have a resistor.

is there anybody with repair manuals for 2001 (and up maybe) that could take a look at that for me?

-bill
#104728 - 07/19/05 04:47 PM Re: car just stops running...
Eric Plent Offline
Loc: Edison, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
so i went on vacation with some friends this week (am still here, at myrtle beach. its sweet) and left my car at home for my brother to use.
i havent been home yet, ut they say it starts fine, runs for a few seconds, and dies right away. they said its runs for the exact same amount of time every time.

thanks fellas,
bill
Silly question here: was your brother using a copied key or your regular key? I had this same thing happen to me when I test drove my 2000 GTP. I was using a copy of the original (both on the same ring - didn't realize it) and the car would run for about 2 seconds and cut off, every time. Switched keys and everything was fine.
#104729 - 07/20/05 12:39 AM Re: car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Plent:
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
[b] so i went on vacation with some friends this week (am still here, at myrtle beach. its sweet) and left my car at home for my brother to use.

thanks fellas,
bill
Silly question here: was your brother using a copied key or your regular key? I had this same thing happen to me when I test drove my 2000 GTP. I was using a copy of the original (both on the same ring - didn't realize it) and the car would run for about 2 seconds and cut off, every time. Switched keys and everything was fine. [/b]
hmmm nope...used the key i always use.
i've been checking around clubgp on this issue and it seems like it may be the crank position sensor. multiple sources tell me there is no fuel pump resistor on my 2001, and i can't find it myself.

i guess we'll see how long my luck holds out. i might grab one of them sensors from morad...

thanks fellas,
bill
#104730 - 01/09/06 11:24 AM Re: car just stops running...
zuulmusic Offline
old thread, but...
IT DID IT AGAIN THIS MORNING!
then a few hours later started right up and ran fine.

I was told my car doesn't have a fuel pump resistor, nor could I locate it where it should've been, so I guess thats out.
It could be the crank position sensor, but the symptoms really don't match. I've never stalled out while driving or had the tach go nuts, and this doesn't happen as often.

Just for kicks I'm going to throw the intense PCM back in (last time when I put my stock PCM back in the problem seemed to go away...)

Bill